CMM *Melody foaled a palomino pinto colt on 3/12/14*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Praying that Summer is doing better and the antibiotics have started working and that Lexi is getting some much needed rest.
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

Diane if you hear from Lexi please keep us posted.................
default_please.gif

Thank you Diane, for keeping in contact with lexi and keeping us involved , you are such an amazing person and we cannot thank you enough. Lexi please know that you are on our hearts and we are praying for you constantly hoping that Summer is improving and is soon on the road to recovery

Still sending healing thoughts and prayers for Summer, hoping to hear some good news soon.

((((HUGS)))) for you Lexi.

Thanks for trying Diane, I am sending my heartfelt prayers that Summer is getting better. Lexi we will be here when you feel upto talking. Hugs

Have called again this morning and left a message. I will continue trying, and pray everything is moving in the right direction for Summer, and Lexi is resting and improving.

I cannot thank each and every one of you enough. I have told this to Diane, but it really is like having a family from all over the world. You are all truly amazing for praying for Summer and I, and I apologize it has taken me this long to get on here and finally post.

Sunday morning was a disaster. The fillies head and 2 front legs were out but when a couple pushes came and nothing happened I started to assist Summer. The vets were already called before any of us knew anything was even wrong, thank god because I don't know how long it would have been if I waited to recognize the problem. I pulled with Summer's contractions and the shoulders popped out after about a minute or two. Then I could see halfway down the foals barrel/rib cage. Thats where nothing else happened, no budge, nothing. It was like the foal was being held by a vice grip. I knew something was wrong before I knew she was stuck. Oh backing up a bit.... I had broken the bag and cleared the nose one head/neck and legs were out. Tons of fluid came pouring out of her nose, and in my heart I knew the foal was no longer with us. Complete devastation. I just stared at her gorgeous face in complete disbelief that this was even happening.

My help/friends went from 2 others to roughly 12-20, I never counted as I was kind of on a different planet with everything unfolding. My vet arrived and immediately took over. I knew she was gone, wether she was before birth or not her chest cavity was compressed and stuck for way to long. I gently asked the vet if Summer could be saved and when his reply was "Thats what I am now trying to do" it was like the entire world crashed down. This may sound a bit dramatic, and I know everyone loves each and every animal they have, but there has always been something so very special about Summer. I have had many horses come in my life, and she has always been the most amazing soul and personality I have ever gotten to know. I couldn't bare the thought of losing her and when I went into hysterics I was brought out of the stall and went to sit outside. I was having a hard time breathing, I knew I had to call Diane. The foal was not hiplocked, but was in the dog sitting position.

Diane I have told my entire family, but especially my mom just how special you really are. Its like talking to an angel, and I truly mean that. You are so amazingly strong and intelligent, it was like talking with you made everything a bit better. I knew Summer had a chance, it was just a question as whether or not the vets could save her. The foal had been stuck just shy of an hour and a half when 2 friends walked out of the barn with both thumbs up in the air. The foal was finally out of Summer. Summer had been having a hard time breathing, using every ounce of energy and strength she had left to help get her baby out. It was immediate relief to hear they had freed the stuck foal.

We lost a beautiful black filly with a big, and perfect white blaze. She had 2 white stockings up to her back hocks, almost identical to Summers. I think she may have been a pinto, but I only ever saw the right side of her body. She was big, and I measured her cannon which was exactly 9 inches. So with a projected mature height of about 38' she was big. Her legs went on forever. I took photos of her to compare with a foal my friend had lost last month and she was easily double the size. But I still cannot believe I have now buried my second filly with a period of 5 months
default_sad.png

Then came the conversation about Summer's well being. She was immediately given banamine, penicillin, and iv fluids. I started taking her temp the next morning and she was eating her hay with no fever. Then in the afternoon I temped her at 102.7, vet was called and arrived no more than 10 minutes later. I asked about flushing her, she told me to listen to her "spiel." My mom and I decided best thing for Summer was to keep her with her familiar surroundings and not move her to the hospital (this little horse does not adapt well). She was started on gentamicin which was administered with her penicillin and banamine. She was also flushed out. She was flushed yesterday as well, and given all the same medication. She was very mopey and depressed which has been very upsetting to see.

This morning I had just gotten out of my first class and headed right for the barn. I was walking down the aisle and said her name and heard the biggest, and happiest whinny!!! She came right to the door all happy and very alert. Tears of joy!! No fever, got her banamine and will be flushed again later in the day. After spending some time with her I gather my things and went to leave. I was stopped at the end of the aisle by the man who feeds her for me when I have college classes early in the morning. He said that when he went back to check Summer she had finished all of her bran mash! Which she has never had more than a few bites. BIG STEPS!!! He told me how happy he was to see her eating again, he made my entire day!! Summer has not eaten her grain since last Saturday so to finish all her mash today was a big accomplishment!!!

I spoke with Diane about 2 hours ago and apologized for not getting back with her earlier. We have now shared tears of complete sadness and complete joy!! You are SUCH a special person Ms. Diane!! I told her as soon as I was home I wanted to post and thank you all, for everything! All of this happened just before my week of finals, so I am trying to pull myself together and finish the college year with good grades
default_smile.png

Thanks again to each and every one of you! The well wishes and prayers have undoubtedly helped Summer and my whole family get through this very rough time. BIG HUGS back to all of you! xo

Awwww! Lexi, that is the sweetest 'thank you' note ever! Bless your heart! You have been through so much! And I'm so glad to hear that Summer is much better!

Diane, you are one awesome person!! Would love to meet you someday!
default_yes.gif

I am so happy to hear that you and Summer are coping o.k. What you are going through is just heart breaking I know as I unfortunately have been there too. Please try and find peace of mind knowing that you were right there for her when she needed you. My girl was depressed for a few days too but within 10 days she was back out with her friends charging around the field playing. So don't worry too much about that. The Aunties here have great respect for the way you have and are handling this ordeal. We are and will be here for you whenever you need us.

Diane really is a wonderful person and she manages to touch the hearts of whoever she meets
default_yes.gif

Group hug for Lexi and Diane

Lexi, your story is just heartbreaking Im so sorry for your loss, thank you so much for sharing it with us. Im glad Diane and the others were able to give you comfort...they are the best...for sure..and admired by all.

Now its your time to snuggle with Summer and ace your finals. you go girl!!

So sorry again for your loss and a huge sigh of relief that summer is on the mend!

Sounds like she has turned the corner and just needs time to heal. How lucky is she that you found her.

Good luck with school, I hope you ace those finals!
default_yes.gif

Oh what wonderful and very welcoming news!! I am so relieved for you and our sweet sweet Summer. I hope you are not blaming yourself for any of this Lexi, for a start you rescued Summer and had no idea that she was pregnant, or anything about the stallion. I'm thinking that he was possibly quite a bit larger than Summer, and that your lost filly just didn't have the space to find that delivery position due to her size. The fact that Summer has survived is due entirely to your quick reactions and later to the vet's help. Many years ago I 'saved' a mare in similar circumstances, but sadly I had to allow her to go to Rainbow Bridge as the vet simply could not release the foal.

I can well understand what that wonderful welcoming neigh from Summer meant to you - exactly what you needed to hear, bless you. It sounds as though the folks looking after her while you are at school are thrilled at her progress too, what nice people they are.

As for our wonderful Diane, she is just the best isn't she! And Diane, once again you were there when needed to give care, help and advice as only you can. We are all very lucky to have you here with us and we really appreciate it.

Good luck with those exams Lexi and thank you so much for taking the time to come here to tell us what happened and to give us the good news about Summer. Will be continuing my prayers for her.

((((HUGS))))

Lexie, so happy to see your post! It brought us the great news that Summer is doing better and getting back to her old self!! Again I am sorry for all that you have been through and the loss of your beautiful filly. It is so nice that Diane was there for you! From what I have heard and read here Diane is a very good friend. She is understanding and knows just the right things to say when one of the members here is going through a difficult time. Not everyone understands how we all feel about our furry family members and can relate to our feelings. This is one reason why I like coming on this forum, their are many big hearts here. I posted last week when I lost one of my dachshunds and the replies were so comforting to me. Hope all the posts for you help to comfort you as well!

Give Summer lots of hugs and love and get ready for your finals. I will say a prayer for you to sail through them with flying colors!! Take Care and God Bless You and Summer!

Hi Lexi- So glad to hear from you and glad to hear your finals are NEXT week. I was afraid your finals were this week, as they are for the other college students I know. Good luck on them!! I am so sorry for all you have been through this year and I sure hope Summer has turned the corner and will be fine soon. Early in our breeding experience we had two horrendous dystocias, one of which put Mira in Tufts for a week, and BOTH mares later went on to produce gorgeous healthy foals for us.

Lexi and everyone, thank you all for the very kind words! It means a lot to me to be a help to people, and especially where these precious little horses are concerned.

I'm so excited about Summer -- and now am praying too, that you ACE all those exams!!!

Keep us posted on Summer, and share a picture when you get a chance!

so glad to hear from you Lexi- again I'm so sorry for your loss and frightening time and so glad it sounds like Summer is on the mend

I can't say enough about all the wonderful Aunties on this forum....always there for you . And Diane you have been so fabulous above and beyond

being there for Lexi when she really needed you. Amazing woman

and hoping you Ace those exams Lexi

hi Lexi. Thankful it seems summer is on the upward swing. What a scarey thing for you both to go thru. I can not even imagine.

I have found diane to be a blessing along with many many of the other aunties on here. It gives me such comfort to know I can come here with questions and concerns..pick brains with years of expoerience..and get that positive that is so lacking in ordinary life. it is rare to find a group of people,,,especially women that hearts are pure and that their only desire is to help. It is nice to see sisters pull together.

Lexi I will continue to pray for summer..and for those nasty exams!.Please do keep us updated on lil Summer.She has a lot of folks pulling for her...and you do too.

You are all SO wonderful!! Thank you, thank you!!

oops did I say finals were next week?? Nope they started this week
default_sad.png

I had to reschedule my one on Tuesday because I have been so worried about Summer I wouldn't leave her... Had one this morning and 2 more tomorrow. I need to get back to studying RIGHT now. LOL.

Diane no fever again!! Flush went well today and Summer came out for her walk after to help all the fluids come back out. The vet said tomorrow if she is the same she will feel confident we are really getting better. Hoorayyyyy!!! She is a very happy girl again. Love our Summer girl
default_smile.png

Back