clothing advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supaspot

Reaction score
Im heading over to the UK for a 3 day show in a couple of weeks , one of the classes is called American Independence day (the show is 4th July) its to be judged purely on the American way of showing and presentation ,we will be judged on showmanship and American style turnout of horse and handler , Im Ok with the showing part and with turnout of horse and Ive seen the fabulous show shirts you all wear but I don't want to spend a fortune as its only for one class so can you tell me what the average person wears , jeans or trousers ? Boots or shoes ? what style of shirt , do you wear a hat ?

any advice welcome as long as it doesnt break the bank

Depends on the type of horse you have.some go for the Western look with nice tailored Western pants-definitely no jeans- cowboy boots or low cut boots-Western shirt and Western hat.Many of the exhibitors here at the Delaware shows wear nice tailored pants,with a low cut boot or shoe that is not Western look, a blazer with a nice shirt under, no hat and hair up or pulled back in a braid or bun for a neat look.If you can I would go for the Western look but then you should have a stock type halter not the Arabian type sounds like lots of fun-please post photos when you are done and let us know how it goes.

Thanks so much for responding , thats a great help

I do have low cut western boots and western belt with nice buckle and a hat ,tailored cotton pants shouldnt be too hard to source but the biggest problem would be the western shirt , thats going to be difficult to find locally . , but I have all cable halters so I might have to go with the blazer look instead but Im worried that may not look western enough if you know what I mean lol

If I cant find a suitable outfit I wont enter that class but if I do Ill gladly tell you all about it ind post pics if youll promise not to laugh lol

When I read your post I read 'American style turnout' not 'Western style' so I don't think you need to have a western hat, a stock type halter nor too much in the way of bling. American style may be a blazer over a nice top, tailored pants, polished boots, hair in a bun or another clean style and a cable halter. I am certainly not an expert but it seems to me you should contact the show manager/planner (whatever the title is) and ask specifically what is required for that class. Then you will know if they want a western/stock horse turn out or if they want the horse/handler to be presented as they would be at a North American show.

this is the class description (any breed means reg with any miniature society )

USAclass.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that is clear as mud isn't it. What exactly do they consider the American turn out? Anyway to call someone and get it clarified? A bit more detail would help you a lot I think.

One thing I loved about miniature horse shows is that you do not have to dress in western wear. I had years of that stuff and hated it. When I showed a couple of my minis, I wore black pants, a pull over top, flat black slip on shoes and black blazer. No hat. Hair in bun. Was a wonderful feeling not to have to dress in western wear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. No one here is inclined to wear gloves except in a turn out class (not something I've ever seen in a breed show) When I first stated out showing I bought gloves thinking it would at least cover the dirty hands I get grooming my horse but I was the only one in my classes to wear them and eventually stopped using them.

Latest posts

Back