Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brookwood Farm

Reaction score
Hi, my first show is coming up in mid August. I have a two year old bay mini and I need help deciding with what to wear. We will be doing trail and fitting and showmanship. I have been getting mixed ideas on whether to wear western show clothing or just a nice outfit. The rules are to wear a long sleeve shirt, boots, a hat, and nice pants. Also, what colors would you recommend for a bay horse? Any tips that would be good to know?

Most colors look good with bay. For mine I like bright yellow, but there are lots of options red, green, blue, purple. Personally I wouldn't wear neutral colored tops, but that's my opinion. Black pants are a must. For some reason I can't post pictures but if you google images "western show shirt" you'll see a variety, which will all depend on your budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
A hat? What classes are you showing in? What kind of a show is it, AMHA - AMHR - Open Show - Pinto Show? Navy blue is a classic color for bays as you do not want to take away from the horse with loud colors - browns/tans/beige are nice too with bay horses. Let us know what classes and type of show you are showing in, so we can help. Yes, on the black pants and boots.

OOPS. sorry I reread your post. I see now about the hat for trail and showmanship. Showmanship is about you, then the horse is a prop so to speak, so were something that compliments the horse - beige/white/brown/taupe those kind of colors, with hat, boots to match. On the dressy side. Trail, maybe not as dressy looking but you can certainly wear the same thing you wore for showmanship.

You could wear Reds - they look good and the right color of bay I love PINK with them. But again showmanship is about you, so wear something that looks good on you and blendds nicely with the color of the horse. An - easy on the eyes outfit. Gee hard to explain
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are showing showmanship you need gloves too

1st pic was a total outfit bought on clearance from a western store. Got hat for $40, and pants/top for $40.

2nd pic, I got the pants/top from GoodWill for $5 and made the sparkely tanktop from material from JoAnn Fabrics for another $5.

NOW I have a new top I bought from a old vintage store, got a 1971 baby blue/yellow flower top/tank for $5. Its so ugly for everyday wear BUT TOTALLY PERFECT for showing in!!!

Scan08-05-31 1444.jpg

post-18407-0-29720600-1322546857_thumb.jpg

Don't know your age group but generally, younger girls can get away with just looking neat and clean whereas older women, because we don't have that "cute" factor working for us, need to dress up a bit more. Like older ladies wear jackets instead of just shirts.

Here's my granddaughter ( in the 7 and under class).

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back