Show Clothes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankee Doodle Dandy

Reaction score
Where do you guys buy your show clothes for AMHR (I am a Youth.) Just wondering, as I might start showing AMHR soon, and just want to know what to look for. I'm coming from the APHA/PtHA (Paint and Pinto) breed show world, so we love the expensive blingy show outfits ;) But on the AMHR Nationals live cam, they mostly had on rail shirts, looked like the generic Hobby Horse rail shirt. Is that what a lot of the youths wear? And, for showmanship, (I'm big into that, and my paint and my mini rock at it ;) ), do people like to buy really blingy, expensive (like $1,000, or more. Or $500 or more). Because, that's what it's like the paint show world, I don't want to buy an elaborate showmanship outfit for my paint and then wear it with my mini at the AMHR shows, to see nobody else has outfits like those. Haha.

I've been showing since I was three, and just got into mini's when I was about 9. I show open with my mini right now, and for halter, I just wear a button down, tucked in, with blue jeans and a belt, also a black western hat and black boots. I noticed a lot of the Youths at AMHR Nationals don't even wear hats. For showmanship, a showmanship outfit. Last year, I got mine from Hobby Horse, but this year I am going to get one a little more flashy. The showmanship outfit would be a top, matching colored pants, matching colored boots, black or white hat, depending on the color of the outfit, and my hair in a bun. Then, the last class I get to do (sadly they dont have jumping at the open shows near me, they do have driving but my mini is in training) is In-Hand Trail. I believe AMHR calls it halter obstacle. But anyway, I just wear what I wore for Halter.

I have driven minis, but never shown driving a day in my life! Hahaha. I am looking into buying a second mini, and he already drives, and competes in Country Pleasure. What do Youths wear for that? My mini, I believe is going to also be a Country Pleasure, or a western prospect. But, I'm not sure, I only get the back view! LOL. Once I get him in the cart next spring, and once he is getting good, I'll have someone video tape me to see which he should show in.

While I do not show nearly as much as I used to, I always bought my clothes on ebay. We only had one tack shop local to us with a limited selection. We would try on jackets, vests and jods to find out our size and then piece outfits together by buying off ebay. Something like a halter jacket or vest, even blouses and slacks we would buy at thrift stores. We wanted to compete at rated shows, but $1, 000 jackets were out of the question. Leafing through horse catalogs gave us ideas for outfits too. Its amazing how just a new hat and vest can dress up an older ensamble. Just remember no glitter. It ALWAYS wears off your clothes onto your horse and that'll get you disqualified.

I have gotten many of mine on ebay (new), I just look under showmanship shirts or rail shirts. Also I have taken simple western style shirts and blinged them up for the ring.

In most cases I think you will find that the mini exhibitors do not spend the same kind of money that some big horse breed people do when it comes to their show clothes. I cannot comment on the showmanship outfits at nationals as I have not paid any attention to those classes--but judging by the used/outgrown clothing I see advertised by mini owners vs that advertised on some of the big horse groups--there is no comparison at all. Many of us shop on eBay or at thrift stores for our open halter and driving outfits.

Back