clipping the head

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twilightranch

Reaction score
what size blade do you use 30 or 40 this is a solid black horse and I plan on razoring him as well.

I have an article and complete instructions and diagram both on my website and on the informational pages here of Lil Beginnings. Pretty much everyone I know clips the heads in a combination of a 30 and then sculpted with a 50 and 40 with the exception of a perlino or cremello, etc. You may want to use a 30 and 40 on them instead.

A close clipped head shows the definition so much better and can accentuate the nice features the horse has. We have been clipping heads like this for several years.

Ten L Training - do you follow the same diagram for Shetlands and Show Ponies?

Crponies thank you that is a neat diagram. Tenltraining thank you for the great info. Thank you all!
default_wink.png

Yes, I follow the same patterns for both. I actually learned this way of clipping several years ago from an arabian trainer.

I really love the way it makes their heads look and shows the detail of bone structure and features so much better than just a plain clip.

I have an article and complete instructions and diagram both on my website and on the informational pages here of Lil Beginnings. Pretty much everyone I know clips the heads in a combination of a 30 and then sculpted with a 50 and 40 with the exception of a perlino or cremello, etc. You may want to use a 30 and 40 on them instead.A close clipped head shows the definition so much better and can accentuate the nice features the horse has. We have been clipping heads like this for several years.

Laura I read your article and you said; "Clip the outside of the ear, unless it is white, with a #40 down to the base. This really makes the ears look sharp." I have black and white pinto's and a bay and white pinto, what do you clip the outside of the ears with their white? Thanks, TJ

Right now since its the beginning of the show season (for me at least) i have clipped all my horses with 15s so they will have some color but later on in the show season i clip all my horses with 30s the forehead and jaws with a 40 and then from between the eyes down to where i 50 i use a 40 for better blending. It works the same way if you use a 15 you just have to work a little more on blending. Good Luck!

Taylor Jo,

Do your pintos have partially white ears or white ears? If so I would do the outside of them with a 30 just two to three days before your show. If they are dark do a 40 on the outside of the ear, a 50 on the inside. Any moving part on a horse grows hair faster, the base of the ears if you ever notice will grow a little longer than the other parts and behind the knee and fetlocks where a horse moves too. A closer clip makes a sharper clip especially on the head. By the time you put your siverado face gel on or baby oil gel on their faces it will darken up nicely, use those products where you use a 50 blade as on diagram. I do bodies normally in a 15 about five days before a show sometimes 7 depending on the color but not longer than that. I occasionally will clip a body in a 30 usually a gray or roan will look good in a 30 on the body.

White legs in a 30 blade to just above the knee normally. I use a 50 on the entire underbody of the horse including the sheath area or udder area of the mare. ONly use the 50 directly underneath where it is not seen, this will help the horse appear a bit more tucked up and hair also grows really fast in this area. Tailheads are done in a 7f and its as smooth as crushed velvet. MOst of the time I clip the legs in a 30 also up just past the knee and blend it in, lets the legs look really nice and fine too. As the weather grows warmer especially you will still have plenty of color still but early in the year not as much of course. You can use a hair moisturizer after clipping such as Rosewater conditioner or health hair cair, both leave in conditioners and rub in good and then blanket your horse to give him back some moisture after taking off his haircoat. Laura

Latest posts

Back