Clipping Show Horses/Other Show Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StacyRz

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new here and getting my first mini this weekend. He is a yearling and has already started showing and has some points. I plan to continue showing him, so have a lot of questions :) I should also note that I have never shown a horse either. The gentleman who sold him to me has graciously offered to help me get started. I just don't want to become a pest this soon lol.

My first is whether you keep them clipped and blanketed during the winter months? Or you let them grow out. I know a lot of people use lights to help. I just wondered if anyone clips.

Another question if there are gelding halter classes. Can he still get points if I get him gelded? As of now he's a stallion and has excellent manners, but I have handled plenty of stallions in the past and know how they can be. Being a yearling, he could start acting studdish any time now. He does have a beautiful pedigree but breeding isn't something I'm considering right now.

Thanks in Advance, for answering these questions and I am open to any other offered advice!

-Stacy

Hi and welcome to minis! They are very addictive
default_laugh.png

Whenever I'm not showing I let coats grow out and rug as little as possible. I try to give them plenty of down time.

If you get the offer of help from someone experienced then certainly take advantage of it, a lot of people are happy to bring the newbies in and that sort of advice is worht it's weight in gold.

If you aren't intending to breed I'd get him chopped earlier on. I can't help you with the point stuff but given the added complexities of keeping and managing a stallion I believe it is better to geld. You'll be removing hormones from the mix and you'll be able to add a companion into the mix once the addiction sets in
default_wink.png

Congratulations on your new horse, your going to have fun. Having a mentor is great and you should try to meet as many people in your area showing horses as possible. You might even look to a trainer or clinics to help you out as well.

As for winter, we never clip our horses in the winter until we start working them for their first show in Apri, that would be in Jan. Normally we only do necks that early to see if they need sweating or not. Then in late Feb or early March they get a full clip. They might get one more before their first show clip in April.

There are also gelding classes for amateurs, youth and open. Plus in larger shows, gelding classes in driving. But you can show much more as your horse gets older and being a gelding will make him more ready to work for you.

Good luck and be sure to post pictures when you get them.

Karen

Most people don't clip in the winter.... because the minis are normally clipped before almost every show anyways, it's not necessary.

I like to keep my horses used to clippers year-round, so they get muzzles and bridle paths and "old man ear hair" clipped about once a month. Because it's hot here in southern CA, I usually end up doing extensive trace clipping in the winter while they are working to help with the sweat and drying after hosing off.

Andrea

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome. I am very excited. Even though I'm not officially buying him until Sunday, the owner did give me permission to post pictures (He's the one in my avatar)

Wings... I may be getting a friend for him as well. There are a couple of old brood mares there that I have my eye on lol.

Karen... There are a several show people in my area (more than I expected when I first started researching breeders.)

If I am not mistaken, the ranch who bred my mini is about 30 minutes from me.

Andrea... Thanks for mentioning the bridle path, whiskers and "old man ears".. I definitely want to keep him used to the clippers while he's not showing!

You have all been great and looking forward to reading more on this site. Thanks all!! I'm going to try to post a picture of him....

finale2.jpg

Welcome! Where is Texas are you? We are 25 miles NW of Fort Worth.

We don't clip our horses in the winter unless they are going to the FTW Stock Show in January. Unless you have an enclosed barn, it still gets cold up here! Last year our poor guys had three blankets, sleezies, hoods and ear muffs made out of socks because it was sooo cold and icy. And we had heat lamps on them and they still shivered. Unfortunately our barns are more open since it's hot down here more than cold.

You can almost show year round down here if you want. The last show of the year (that I know of) is the middle of November and it starts right back up in January!

Both AMHA and AMHR have wonderful programs for showing your geldings. I wouldn't hesitate at all to get him done. I just got a really nice colt I intend to geld (but my friends keep trying to talk me out of it- he is really nice and would cross on our mares very well) and just love my geldings!

He is most definetly a handsome one, bet you can't wait to bring him home!

Thank you Diane! You new little man is quite handsome too!

Field of Dreams, I am located just south of San Antonio. I remember how cold is was last year, especially in your area! We's see 18 wheelers coming from there covered in ice! Thanks for the info.

Wings, Thanks!
default_biggrin.png
I absolutely cannot wait!
default_laugh.png

Stacy

Congrats He is a nice looking young man! How far south of SA are you? I am in SA about every two weeks or so. I live about 45 mins NW of SA. Send me a message if I can ever give you a hand. This forum is a wonderful place for lots of great advice and suggestions. Good Luck!!

He's very handsome, and looks familiar. Did you find him on the LB sale board? I know Ive seen his second picture somewhere before.

Thanks Jax! I am in the Elmendorf/FLoresville area. I'd love to take you up on your offer. Can I add you as a friend on here?

Mydaddysjag, I believe he is listed on the LB sale board. I also saw him on several other classifieds. That was the "sign" for me lol. He kept jumping out at me
default_wink.png

I love him! So handsome! Congrats!

Welcome to the forum and Congrats!
default_aktion033.gif
He sure is eyecatching. This is a great palce to pick up info and learn lots.

Hi , you bought Jody's horse. He's very nice and will make a great gelding. You need to join the San Antonio Area Miniature Horse club. You will get lots of help. Our show is in July. There are two shows in Glen Rose in October and one in Alvarado in November After that just let his hair grow until Next Spring.

He is a beautiful little guy! Congrats!!
default_saludando.gif
May need to PM you. I used to live in Floresville. We may know each other or at least some of the same people.
default_biggrin.png

Thanks all for the kind words and encouragement! I have been on many forums from dogs to child rearing, and I have to say everyone here seems a lot more willing to offer advice and help a newcomer than most I;ve been on, so thanks again or the warm welcome!

Jody has been AWESOME and has offered to help me out and offer advice. He mentioned the show in October last night and I'm looking forward to going. Thank you for the advice! The mares he has from you are AMAZING!!

Hazel, I wrote you back
default_biggrin.png

Stacy

Last edited by a moderator:
What a gorgeous boy - many congratulations.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

And a huge welcome to LB - great to have you 'on board'.
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back