Clipping Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystic

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to start driving one of my geldings on the few good days that we have here in New Hampshire and was wondering how others clip their driving horses for faster cooling?

I do have a winter blanket for him and he is kept in the barn at night - any suggestions or pictures?

Thanks!

Candy

I believe what you want to search for is called a "trace" clip. Here's a definition:

"The Trace Clip

The Trace Clip gets its name from the fact that it follows the line of the traces of a harness. This clip was commonly used in carriage horses and is popular today in riding horses. The hair is removed from the underside of the neck and belly. A trace clip can be high or low - the difference being how far up the horse's flank that the hair is clipped. The hair is left on the head, the topside of the neck and body and also on the legs for warmth and protection."

Thank you Sandee!

That's what I thought I should do but I've seen alot of different "clips" done from searching the net. Guess I will be vacuuming and clipping my boy real soon....
default_smile.png

Candy

Yes. Here's a good tutorial showing the various ways you can clip and what relative temperatures they are suited for.

How Much to Clip

I try not to clip until my horse is sweating heavily during even regular work, then I'll use a 7F or other longer blade to take of the hair on the front of the chest and between the forelegs to allow him to ventilate. Just for looks I'll usually carry that up the very bottom of the neck and jaw as well. That clip is usually done in early March here in WA. If I don't have a show until June then I'll do a full trace clip in early to mid April encompassing the bottom half of the head to the cheekpiece line, bottom half of the neck, over the shoulders and chest and down the entire tummy along with between the hind legs. That's more than enough to let him cool out without removing all of his protection. I do blanket on days the weather isn't fine, especially if I used a 10 or the clip is new. Around the end of April, beginning of May, I'll do the first full body-clip of the year. It isn't really warm enough to need it here until at least mid-June but show season doesn't wait that long.
default_wink.png

Leia

Latest posts

Back