clicker training

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll work up a list of books. I suggest buying them off of Amazon used to save money.

My only suggestion is that we get a couple Clicker+ clickers, not those cheapy clickers from Petsomething, or even iClicks. Using our own tongue clicks is going to be too much of a variable and may sound too much like a cluck to move forward. The cheapy clickers can be too loud for some animals, the iClick is a better option, but the Clicker+ is digital and can be set to different noises and noise levels and I'll bet we can even use them in the ring, if needed.

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/360

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh sorry! "Click to Win" is the book I was talking about.
default_smile.png

Nikki, I have always used a tongue click and the horses never seem to get confused by it. The other clickers are great, but I just find it to be a hindrance to always have to have that in my hand also.

Well, you can add me to the list of new 'clickers' out there.

I have been thinking about using this technique for some time and actually read this post yesterday, again.

I went ahead and ordered 'the click that teaches' so I hope that it will be a good starting point for me. I also ordered the clickers off the website too.

I'm so excited about getting this book. I had to order it from USA so it will take a while for me to receive it, but I'm sure the wait will be worth it.

While I'm waiting, I'm checking out websites and doing as much research as possible.

I'm really looking forward to all of this!
default_aktion033.gif

xox leonie xox

It just makes more sense to me to have a very distinct sounding marker that stays consistent, especially in a training center. Otherwise, there will be a lot of new horses who will have to learn what click means yes, versus what click might be the start of a cue to walk or trot. Not to mention, what about those other clicks they'll be hearing in the ring? Some seasoned show horses may come in already sensitive to a click means GO! Granted, the horses will learn to stay focused on their handler and will eventually be able to distinguish various cues and clicks, but why make it any harder than it has to be, especially since many horses only come in for a short time before they are in and out of training? Something else to consider is that it's very likely more than one person will be showing these horses, sometimes including the trainer, the trainer's assistant, and any number of owners in various classes. In addition to their confidence level and show style, all of those handlers and their clicks will sound different unless there is a shared instrument.

Yes, I understand your point. My tongue click is really a very distinct "pop" that is totally different than any sound normally used with horses. I had to practice to learn it, though. I can do it really loud, and I can do it quietly. It is a pretty useful sound, but it is definitely unique to me. I have been ct'ing horses for more than 8 years now, including in the show ring.

P.S: for those of you in the northwest, I will be doing a demo/presentation at the NWMHC schooling clinic in Longview on March 1. I am either going to bring Alladdin (very experienced clicker horse) or I am seriously considering bringing Esprit instead. That would be a great example of how I would deal with a distracted, inexperienced, 2-1/2 year old stallion.

Way cool Amy! I was going to try to come for at least Sunday, now I may have to try for Saturday too. Kody needs to practice obstacle in a real arena with other horses and distractions when I can still click/reward him. It's hard for him to make that transition to ring work where I can't click him because he becomes stressed/distracted and regresses to where I need to click and can't because of the bait rules. This way we can ease into it at the clinic so he understands what I want in the ring.

Leia

Exactly.
default_smile.png
Totally different scenerio.

Latest posts

Back