clicker training

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I am going with the foal training DVD. This way I start small. And build my confidience.

But I must say my horses are much smarter than me. They often look at me like oh geeze not again with her stupid antics!!!

I find it's really nice to have a book to peruse a few times so I can get the basic ideas before I try to watch a video and figure out what they're doing. I'd start with Alexandra Kurland's "The Click That Teaches," personally.

Leia

I viewed the table of contents and that book look way too scarey to me.

Learning something new that is so totally different from what you're used to can be scary at first. I tried clicker training a Miniature colt years ago and only saw it as something fun to do in your spare time (IF you had lots of time and nothing better to do). More recently, when I started Agility training (no negativity allowed), I thought I was just going to end up with a treat obsessed dog who was performing only for his next meal. Now I see that it is very possible to train animals to do amazing things in a positive way, but unfortunately, as this method of training is much more involved it does not seem to fit in well in the showring where being the best is all important and people expect results ASAP.

Last edited by a moderator:
unfortunately, as this method of training is much more involved it does not seem to fit in well in the showring where being the best is all important and people expect results ASAP.
If you want quick results, NOTHING I've found is faster than clicker training.

The only problem I've found with using clicker training and showing is if I haven't gotten the horse to the point where he will perform the behavior happily without an immediate click. Kody quickly got frustrated last year as he'd do what I wanted him to but no click was forthcoming because I wasn't allowed to touch him (Liberty) or treat him (performance classes.) This winter I've been able to put in the time and build duration into each behavior and now he will do it all happily without constant rewards. I still use "Good boy!" as a regular marker for good behavior and he knows that means he did something right and I'm happy with him. I just make sure he gets a treat when he gets out of the ring and he's content.

All clicker training really is is a way to mark a particularly good moment of behavior in a way the animal understands and give them incentive to repeat it. I still use release of pressure, Aaahhht!, and other traditional training methods every single day. My elderly Arab hasn't been introduced to the clicker at all but he's spent so long watching Kody and I work over the fence that now he comes up to me and presents some of the behaviors he knows like setting up or halter stretching just to get a click! He doesn't really understand what it means but I make the noise and treat him just to keep him happy and involved.
default_wub.png
He wants to play the game too!

Clicker training only seems awkward until you get into it, I swear. It's not nearly as artificial as it sounds; it's more a refinement of what we already do.

Leia

Nikki, I totally understand where you are coming from, especially with regard to halter training. I am not an evangelist, and I do feel like if someone has something that is working for them, I think that's great. I know what works for me, and will share what I know with people who are interested. I use a variety of training techniques, but I do use the clicker work very frequently. Some people didn't like the path I chose for driving training for Flirt either, but I never felt like we were doing anything to an uncomfortable extreme, and it did work out pretty well in the end, I have to say.

Where clicker training can come in handy for halter horses in particular is teaching them to stand tied, clip, and stuff like that. I don't have to use twitches on any horse for clipping ever, but that is because I used the clicker to train them to like it.

I do use the clicker with teaching halter, because I figured out a little plan for it. And if you ever saw Mr. Alladdin "strike the pose," you would die laughing. It is so clear when he is "acting the part," he pins his ears straight forward, tilts his head "just so" and his eyes positively sparkle. It is adorable.

I really feel that Jan's clicker training videos are very comprehensive and non-intimidating. If you feel comfortable starting there, it will work out just fine. You might also want to get Alexandra's intro video, which is inexpensive and very good.
default_smile.png

That's just it, Leia, it's a refinement. It takes TIME to get an animal to perform willingly this way, and often the work is in much smaller steps than other forms of training. For example, instead of just chasing your horse off with bags in Liberty, you take the time to wait for and mark the type of performance you would like in training, then work on getting your horse to repeat and lengthen that performance over time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the positive approach, in fact I prefer it, it's just that in a professional training situtation there usually isn't TIME to break everything down into such small steps as most people paying for showring training want to see that first place or Championship ribbon ASAP. Many do not necessarily care that Tonto will now let you trim his legs without a fuss and it's not because he has a twitch on. As a result, most horses I see in those settings are performing in spite of, not because of.

iF YOU CHECK OUT YOU TUBE YOU CAN SEE PLENTY OF CLICKER TRAINING CHECK OUT THIS SITE. uUPS sorry I am in all caps ( I hit the Cap Lock button)

I enjoyed that video. I was wondering about giving so many treats thought. What is good to give instead of store bought treats? Would carrots and apples be better for them? I don't feel good about giving a lot of store bought treats.

I thought the same thing. Would petting and luvings work instead?

Any reward your horse enjoys will work. For dogs, toys are often used, and praise can work, too. You should have a variety of rewards available, some of which your pet values more than others. Save those "high value" treats for more difficult tasks.

I use hay pellets as treats. Just a few tiny pellets and they will work like crazy for them! I do reinforce with scratches, pets, and verbal. However, if I actually click, I always use a food reinforcer. That way the power of the click is never diluted. I think that is one of the ways training dogs is different. Dogs are pretty much reinforced by anything even a little nice. Dogs are so easy. LOL! I do love my doggies!

I am ordering the vidoe on foal clicker. The lady was so nice and I think she will be great support.

I want to order the book recommended but the author has 2 books and I am no sure which one.

If you are only getting one book, I recommend "The Click That Teaches, a Step-by-Step Guide in Pictures."

Have fun!

I ordered the DVD on foal training. I want to watch and make sure I can do this. It seems so intimidating. Then I will buy the book.

I recently got into clicker training with my mare Kassie. We've been working on tricks and it works very well. Clickmini, I might PM some time if I have a question!
default_biggrin.png

Good to see I'm not the only one trying my luck with a clicker.
default_laugh.png

I'm resurrecting this thread because I wondered if anybody else got their clicker training material. I decided to buy myself a Christmas present and got the book and 3 videos. Haven't looked at the videos yet but I was very pleased that the book is so professional looking. Very well put together with lots of color pictures. I taught Bambi to give hugs last week (before I got the book) now I gotta go back and fine-tune a few things.
default_wink.png
I'm really anxious to start doing some of this. Anybody else getting their feet wet with clicker training???

Well heck nothing ventured nothing gained, I always say. I have been using it with the horses and more and more with the dogs... THANK Nikki.....

I have always used it with the minis, but not with any type of formal work. Just happen to start doing it intermitantly. When they step into position for halter I softly click to them, when they give ears and give to me, I softly click again.. Never really thought about it, just did it. It always seemed to work. So maybe if I got to the point of using it all the time with all aspects of thier training it will go much faster and be a more set response.

HHHHHMMMMM.....

Now if I order another book on horses my husband is going to scream.... Oh well we live way out in the country.....Hee Hee

Ok Clickmini hook me up, or Nik.....

So which one of the clicker training guides on the second site??????

Latest posts

Back