Clicker Training

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky seven

Reaction score
I saw this training method mentioned in a different posting and want to know more about it. To those who have tried it-did it work?, What are your thoughts. My redhead and I need help when it comes to training. He is just plain lazy, will walk if it means he can graze. Lunging, forgetaboutit. The hoof goes down and he doesn't move. He knows how, but refuses. I need something to stimulate his brain and get him interested.

I clicker train and yes, it works. A great place to start is with any book by Alexandra Kurland.

Search clicker training above..I think Mountain Woman (not sure of her 'real' name, lol.) uses clickers. I love them, and use them with dogs and donkeys as well. I am just starting our new foals on the clicker now..hope they take to it! Also google training, as there is a lot of material out there, though not just for horses. Always end on a positive note, keep trainings short, and fun for both of you. It will be worth it.

lol..

Alexandra Kurland is based out of NY if I remember correctly, so she should be somewhat near you. She does lessons, seminars, etc. I am a professional dog trainer and use clicker training almost exclusively with dogs, but have not had the opportunity to clicker train horses yet. (Can't wait!) Alex presents at some of the training conferences I have attended and she really knows her stuff.

I find clicker training fantastic and taught my foal trained my foal with it, I have also been training my small horse mare to jump with it and she now jumps at liberty for me
default_smile.png
which is amazing!! :D

my mini pony mare I have also begun training with as I have just started showing her and found she wouldn't trot on the lead AT ALL! she like your little one is very lazy! LOL I found that a change of feed to a higher energy feed and the clicker training worked wonders for her we went to her first show a few months back and she won her class!!! all my mini's love clicker training and get so excited and eager to have a lesson when they see me get my clicker out and the bag hope it works for you. I love it! oh there is a facebook page to called Clicker training horses and they are fantastic helped me out alot when I was first starting. Good luck, I'm sure once you have started you will love it, and so will your horses
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I clicker train and love it, have had very good results, but I have to say from what you're describing it sounds like there's some issues with leadership and basic timing/application of aids in your relationship with this horse. If he truly knows how but refuses to do it and wants to graze instead he's basically giving you the metaphorical middle hoof and that needs to be dealt with.
default_wink.png
I'm all for changing a training program from something the horse is bored with to something that interests him, but he needs to acknowledge you're the boss before you resort to bribing him into cooperating! LOL. (I wouldn't normally call clicker training "bribery" but in this case it has some of that feel- "I can't get you to work for me any other way, will you do it for food?" No offense.
default_unsure.png
)

You can certainly introduce the clicker and go through the introductory lessons (what the clicker means, targeting on an object, putting ears up for a click, etc.) but while you're building up to shaping more complicated behaviors I'd get some lessons on how to interact with your horse to show him clearly what you want and that there are consequences to his actions, both positive and negative. One of the benefits of clicker training for the person is that it teaches you to break things down into small steps and really watch for the least try in the right direction by the animal you're working with. That's a very basic component of all good horsemanship and is really what you need to work on along with your own energy projection and body language. If those things are in place your horse will begin to work for you and then clicker training can become a wonderful additional tool for you and a fun game the two of you can play together.

Leia

Pretty much what Leia said. He's got you wrapped around his little hoof. I think some tough love is what is needed in this case
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
What clicker do you recommend to get for a starter?
I use a 99 cent one from petco, but I have like 4 or 5 because I seem to loose them :p Most I got for free at local dog expos. Any ol clicker works, but there are a few different styles. I have mostly square ones like this, but I also have an oval shaped one like this I just like the way the square ones fit in my hand. Use whichever is most comfortable for you to work with
default_smile.png

Just a word of advice, please don't just go buy a clicker and some treats and start clicking. Clicker training is all about timing and you really need more information about it or you'll perhaps accidentally encourage the wrong behavior. You also need to learn how to deal with a treat pushy horse if you decide to use treats as your reward. Some horses do get very mouthy at first when they learn food is involved. You also need to learn how to phase out treats. Please also learn from someone who knows what they are doing. I highly suggest you go to Amazon.com and purchase Alexandra's book "Clicker Training for Your Horse." It's worth it's weight in gold and will help you from making newbie mistakes we all make when we start. There is also a Yahoo clicker training list and we have some awesome experts on that as well as many newbies posting questions. If you're interested in that please message me privately for the link.

Also there are many clickers on the market. I use one for the horses with a farily loud click so we can hear it at distances but the good thing about clicker training is you don't have to have a clicker. You can use your very own voice. Also, you don't need treats necessarily. You can use anything that the horse perceives as a reward.

I'm just trying to say like any other method of training, there's a learning curve and there's some great teachers and resources out there to help and then once you are on your way, the sky is the limit. Clicker training builds awesome relationships with your horses..

I had trouble with my my mare learning obstacle, such as sidestepping down a ground pole and doing jumps, so tried the clicker training. It worked great! Once she understood that each step she did correctly was clicked(and a reward), she learned in record time.

I used a fanny pack with Good N Plenty's for a reward, and a clicker-type pen attached to the belt. Each little step done right, she got a click and a candy.

She ended up with a Blue in Obstacle and a Blue in Hunter Jumping!!!! I was so proud of her!!!!

I did spend some time online to learn all I could on clicker training before I tried it. It's very important to do it right for the right results
default_yes.gif

Good luck to you!!!!

Thanks for the ideas, I called my local tack stores and no one carries clickers so will try Petco. We finally had one open up in this area. My boy and I do have issues on respect and leadership. He has a horrible food agression problem that has been my main focus. I had him, after 2 years, where I could move his hay at the end of a manure pick from one place to another without him getting crabby and I was also able to walk up to him quietly and love on his face while he was eating. Now he has gone the other direction and mule kicks at me again. He is very frustrating. I have thought about replacing him with another mini but don't want to pass his issues on to another family where there may be children involved. I don't like to give in or up so I will be doing alot of homework before trying the clicker. What treats do you mostly use?

Just a word of advice, please don't just go buy a clicker and some treats and start clicking. Clicker training is all about timing and you really need more information about it or you'll perhaps accidentally encourage the wrong behavior. You also need to learn how to deal with a treat pushy horse if you decide to use treats as your reward. Some horses do get very mouthy at first when they learn food is involved. You also need to learn how to phase out treats. Please also learn from someone who knows what they are doing. I highly suggest you go to Amazon.com and purchase Alexandra's book "Clicker Training for Your Horse." It's worth it's weight in gold and will help you from making newbie mistakes we all make when we start. There is also a Yahoo clicker training list and we have some awesome experts on that as well as many newbies posting questions. If you're interested in that please message me privately for the link.

Also there are many clickers on the market. I use one for the horses with a farily loud click so we can hear it at distances but the good thing about clicker training is you don't have to have a clicker. You can use your very own voice. Also, you don't need treats necessarily. You can use anything that the horse perceives as a reward.

I'm just trying to say like any other method of training, there's a learning curve and there's some great teachers and resources out there to help and then once you are on your way, the sky is the limit. Clicker training builds awesome relationships with your horses..
So glad you posted this. I have wondered about them becoming pushy with treats. I don't ever feed from my hand as I felt it unfair to let them learn my hand is a food source then correct them for coming to my hand IMO. I love that you stated anything they feel is a reward and I use certain scratching and love as a reward for mine.

I will have to get the one of the recommended books as learn then see where it goes. Many thanks for all info on this topic

From your posts.... I've gotta say I agree 100% with Leia.

I suggest you re read everything she wrote very carefully.

Thanks for the ideas, I called my local tack stores and no one carries clickers so will try Petco. We finally had one open up in this area. My boy and I do have issues on respect and leadership. He has a horrible food agression problem that has been my main focus. I had him, after 2 years, where I could move his hay at the end of a manure pick from one place to another without him getting crabby and I was also able to walk up to him quietly and love on his face while he was eating. Now he has gone the other direction and mule kicks at me again. He is very frustrating. I have thought about replacing him with another mini but don't want to pass his issues on to another family where there may be children involved. I don't like to give in or up so I will be doing alot of homework before trying the clicker. What treats do you mostly use?
I got a package of clickers on Ebay for cheap. they are the oval ones with the round button, have a coiled loop to hold them to your wrist. Same ones I use for my dogs. My girls love their clicker time. They learn so much faster but you do have to learn to break every activity down into the most basic of steps and then connect them together. For instance, I want my horse to stand square with her ears up and her neck arched. First, chose one element of that and focus on it. Ears up, for instance. The click needs to be almost instant followed by the treat.

Have fun with this. It's a blast! And with bad weather on the horizon, this is a perfect way to interact when it's too wet or slippery to lunge or drive but they can still get some mental exercise.

I'm not trying to be negative because I believe in clicker training but you are dealing with some serious problems with food aggression and kicking at you. I would not go out there with a clicker and some food. I suggest you read Alexandra Kurland's "Working With Fig" that details all the ins and outs of working with an aggressive horse. You really need someone who knows clicker training to guide you when starting out with a horse that has some issues. I suggest you join the Yahoo Group email list. Alexandra and other very experienced, top notch clicker trainers are on the list.

I was not planning on using food because that is already his reward for standing still to be groomed and feet done. I want to use verbal praise and some loving pats in place of the treats. Thanks for all the great advice and ideas. I'm looking for Alexandra Kurland's book to start.

Back