Clicker training

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponygurl

Reaction score
Hey all! I was wondering if anyone had any tips, suggestions, 'rules', etc. as far as how to begin clicker training and how to teach the horse various things while using the clicker method. I have been training (now 3 year old) gelding to drive, and I have been trying to figure out if clicker training might help. I will also be training Fire to jump as well as halter obstacle and the driving, so besides the long lining and ground driving, I have been trying to work on some desensitization (using plastic milk jugs with rocks in them tied to the harness, plastic bags, etc).

If you know of any great books or websites, please let me know!! Thank you so much! Also any personal experiences with what works or doesn't work for you and your horse would be awesome!

Hey all! I was wondering if anyone had any tips, suggestions, 'rules', etc. as far as how to begin clicker training and how to teach the horse various things while using the clicker method. I have been training (now 3 year old) gelding to drive, and I have been trying to figure out if clicker training might help. I will also be training Fire to jump as well as halter obstacle and the driving, so besides the long lining and ground driving, I have been trying to work on some desensitization (using plastic milk jugs with rocks in them tied to the harness, plastic bags, etc).

If you know of any great books or websites, please let me know!! Thank you so much! Also any personal experiences with what works or doesn't work for you and your horse would be awesome!
There are several good books out there. I have one called "Clicker Training for Your Horse" by Alexandra Kurland and found it helpful, although I have NOT used any clicker training with my minis.

I bought the book because I had a Standardbred with an injury that would prevent him from being ridden for six months, and thought it would be fun. I didn't do a whole lot of it, but the few things I did he learned so quickly it was amazing! With the clicker he learned to give me a kiss when I asked him, to bow down putting one front leg under him, to hide his head under my arm when I said "Shame on you!" Also he learned that when I said, "Can you say 'hello' he would bob his head and paw the ground three times. He would also walk across the ground and pick up one of those Jolly balls with the handle when asked.

Not really a lot of tricks, but they were fun teaching, and he is an exceptionally smart horse so he learned very quickly. I have another big horse, and he really just didn't seem to pick up on it at all.

I wanted to reply to your post even though I am VERY new to clicker training - but I am definitely sold on it! I have been reading up on it and decided to give it a try tonight. I started with my gelding Frankie and we started with easy things that he already knew, but was more used to a physical command than a voice or hand signal. So we started with "Whoa" on the lead - cuing to stay right at my side and stop when I stop with no voice command. Then we moved on to backing with a hand signal. In less than 30 minutes he had both of those!

I stopped there with a short session and ended on a positive note. I then took him to the round pen to do some conditioning work. I got a phone call and was talking so just let him wander around the pen. Before I knew it, he was by my side cuing himself looking for the treat! So I began asking him and he was working without being on a lead staying right by my side. I am totally sold on clicker training and can't wait to introduce more!

Also, I decided to use a loud "popping" with my tongue as the cue instead of an actual clicker. I remember someone on here had that suggestion because it can be less obtrusive, especially if you are trying to cue in the show ring and it's something you always have with you!

I just wanted to encourage you to definitely try it. I am hooked!

Barbara

It is a fantastic way to teach your horse! Here are some good resources to get you started.

EVERYTHING by Alex Kurland. I have been studying with her for 11 years now. She is amazing. http://www.theclickercenter.com I recommend highly her step-by-step book when you are getting started. I own everything she's ever published. Here is a getting started guide on her web site: http://theclickercenter.com/2004/guide/guide00.php

Katie Bartlett's web site: http://www.equineclickertraining.com

Shawna Karrasch, she really utilizes target training well: http://www.on-target-training.com/

I love clicker training. I use it for everything. I walk around with my pockets stuffed full of treats all the time, LOL! And it is also why my handle here is "ClickMini."

Latest posts

Back