Cleaning leather harnesses...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
I had my harnesses in a tote bag (and in the house), but apparantly I had put the one I was using away damp/sweaty the last time I used it (last year) because they got moldy/mildewy. What is the best product for cleaning the leather and getting all that off of it??? Advice on the best (and easiest if possible) way to get them looking nice again please...
default_unsure.png

Try Murphy's Oil Soap first to clean it and then use Lexol, I think thats how you spell it, I brought all my harness in after using them and wiped them down even with leather wipes you can buy in a canaster until a good cleaning, I also used that stuff called Leather Therapy

I've always heard you have to "kill" the fungus or it will return. I've used a water/ bleach mixture to scrub. Then rinse with clear water and sponge then leave to "sun" dry. Then treat with leather conditioner.

Try a google search to clean harness. You'll find a lot of information and opinions.

I don't know anything other than the BEST $20 I ever spent was when I hired a 4H'er to clean a very dirty harness I bought for my Morgan horse!
default_biggrin.png

I agree with the Murhy's Oil Soap, gentle on the leather but very effective cleaning. First I actively scrub the leather (not of course the patent or enough to scratch the finished surfaces but the side against the horse) with soapy water, then let it dry completely, sometimes several days depending on the humidity level.After that I oil it well, I also use Lexol and am very generous with it and leave it to soak in for an hour or so then wipe the entire harness down so there is no surface oil and hang it where there is good air circulation to store it. Works for me and I've cleaned some pretty grimey harnesses.

I third the Murphy's Oil soap. It cleans the worst stuff, even the NC red clay.

Thanks everyone!! Got several suggestions on what to use and I guess the rest is lots of elbow grease!
default_wink.png

LindaL,

Let me tell you a little story of why I swear by Harness Honey (can get it from Ozark Mini). In our round pen we had a large plastic barral that we put our harness in everyday after using it. Winter came and we forgot about the harness. When summer came around, hubby and I couldn't remember where the 'work' harness was....until we went down to the round pen! When we opened the barral there sat the harness, dirty and very green with mold. Needless to say, we figured it was ruined. Hubby took it to the house, threw it down and thought the summer sun would take care of the mold (it didn't). The harness layed in the sun all summer. I remembered I had bought some kind of harness cleaner. I found it and figured I certainly couldn't hurt the harness, so I scrubed it with dawn, put it outdoors for several days to dry. After it was dried I brought it in and used this stuff called Harness Honey on it. When I was finished, I can honestly tell you we couldn't tell the difference between that harness and another that had been kept in the house.

Pam

I have to say I have used Harness Honey also. I bought some old saddles and used it on them. It was amazing what it did. Made them look brand new. My only problem with it is it did not store for a long time in the original container. I would advise buying in a smaller quantity because long term storage was a problem for me. I personally liked it better than Neets Foot oil.

Also, if you wipe your harness after cleaning, but before oiling, with white vinegar it will kill the fungus that causes the mold and it won't come back as quickly.

In between deep cleans and uses have you guys ever used unscented baby wipes? I have and I think they work wonderfully. They are usually alcohol free and they contain aloe and e. They clean and condition the leather like they clean and condition babies bottoms
default_laugh.png
Besides the baby wipes, I use the same products as the person who responded first!

Tab... I use the automotive leather car seat wipes that come in the canister for quick cleaning at shows.

I've used the baby wipes a lot for any various reason. They are great for a quick cleaning like disneyhorse said for shows. I've started keeping around the Lexol cleaner wipes and they work great too but too expensive to use the wipes vs the spray.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back