Christmas Dinner What to fix?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Taylor Jo

My husbands daughter, her husband, 2 teen age daughters, and an 11 year old son are coming to dinner Christmas day. They're into health food and are VERY picky, yet they eat out a lot. They eat meat, but make EVERYTHING from scratch. LAST Christmas I fixed a HUGE Ham dinner with all the trimings. They hardly ate a bite. I was NEVER so near tears in my whole life. This was my first year here in Mo and in Ca my family gobbled my food up and always wanted more.

SOOO this year, I want to FIX something SIMPLE..... NOT a lot of work, but don't know what to fix. ANY ideas? I'd really appreciate it. It doesn't have to be a meat, could be a casserole or soup, or what ever, I don't care, I just don't have a clue as what to fix. It's getting near and I've got to get the stuff bought.

My husbands daughter is VERY bossy and is a KNOW it all, I have a VERY difficult time being around her. She's NOT a positive person. They have horses and goats and I have minis therefore I KNOW NOTHING!!!!!! I just want a peaceful easy meal. Thanks, TJ

Last edited:
How about ROAST BEEF? You can do baked potatoes OR, I make Yorkshire Pudding instead........both require gravy. I serve a hot mustard on the side for the beef, or people ask for the gravy on it instead........A salad and vegie on the side.......And a dessert. It's all much easier than a turkey dinner, IMO.

If you want to know about the Yorkshire Pudding recipe, let me know. It's EASY!!!! And everyone I've served it to loves it.

I "thought" of that but the only roast that I could afford is to expensive. The kind "we" like the chuck roast, they wouldn't be caught dead eating. Like I said "they're" picky. I think your idea is great though. Boy it sure sounds good. I wish they would eat the chuck roast your meal sounds perfect. PICKY, PICKY!!!!!! Thanks for your idea. TJ

Baked ziti- you can get all the ingredients "organic" (Organic is all I am able to eat and drink and it's a real pain but thats the way it has to be anyway). Best of luck...

Lisa

What about a simple grilled chicken dish as the entree (garlic and herb, lemon pepper, etc) with fresh seasoned vegetables, new potatoes, and a nice tossed salad? All healthy and easy to make from scratch, and you can always call and ask what kind of vegetables they like. You can serve something simple but heavier like crackers, cheeses, and dips on the side. Not very traditional I know, but if they're still picky about it at least you've got plenty of good leftovers for a casserole.
default_wink.png

TJ,

My first thought was call them and tell them to stop on the way (at a drive-through or whatever) and get whatever they want for themselves!
default_laugh.png
But I know you're too nice for that, so how about the baked or grilled chicked idea? They can pick their veggie. Or you can just have what YOU and your hubby like and they can get over it. The problem is (yes, I'm sticking my nose where it doesn't belong) your daughter-in-law is a PITA. And she always will be (sadly) and no matter how hard you try, you're probably not going to please her. She doens't want to be pleased, she wants to b$tch about stuff!

Good luck. You're going to need it sweetheart.
default_wink.png

What about fixing lasagna. It's easy and not too expensive. You could have a nice big salad and garlic bread too.

Good luck.......I've been in your shoes and it isn't fun.
default_no.gif
Some people just have a hard time being happy and I'll never understand that.
default_wacko.png

Reading the replies, I'm like 50/50 with the grilled chicken dinner idea OR just an all out pig out good traditional holiday food and you and your husband telling each other "mmmm... this is SO good" (like really laying it on thick) all through the dinner while they either eat, or not
default_laugh.png
:DOH!
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I would make a nice green salad with organic veggies, Chicken, garlic potaoes (yum!), gravy, and some good bakery rolls.... OR how about Enchilaldas ?

Last edited:
Vote #2 for Lasagna

and enjoy yourself and ignore her remarks the best you can

and try not to care what they think, to me it's their personality problem

makes good leftovers if they are sooooo picky they can go hungry

Sorry your holiday is spoiled by such an ignorant brat

Lori

Well since you already know they're gonna be a PITA and probably not want whatever you decide to fix, I think you should just fix what you and your hubby want. If they eat it ok, if not they can get themselves something on the way home. The holidays are too stressful to worry about whether adult guests are going to eat what you serve. Fix what you want and relax and enjoy your meal.

What about fixing lasagna. It's easy and not too expensive. You could have a nice big salad and garlic bread too. Good luck.......I've been in your shoes and it isn't fun.
default_no.gif
Some people just have a hard time being happy and I'll never understand that.
default_wacko.png

I think you HIT on it SampleMM. THOUGHT about the Chicken like Parmela suggested, but that was to much I think like turkey and they eat a lot of chicken, (they kill their own) so I'll go with the lasagna. I can make it ahead and I know how to do it. I thought about the Zita too, but was afraid to screw it up. This I know how to do. Didn't even think about it. AND if they don't like it TOOOO bad. It won't be like a WHOLE bunch of different dishes to make, just simple.

Thanks everyone for you help. You don't know how I've been stressing over this. Now you've helped me resolve it. REALLY, REALLY appreciate it, makes me sure miss my family back home where my cooking was appreciated. Of course, I know my husband appreciates it and that's what counts. He'll eat it..... Hugs to you all, TJ

Last edited:
Ask your husband. It could be that they are used to some traditional meal for Christmas Day.

If I was served lasagna on Christmas I would be very disappointed. Our traditional Christmas dinner is turkey, potatoes, meat stuffing, Turnip, squash, etc. When we have people over for the holidays, if they ask what they can bring I always ask them what they would miss the most if it was not served. If it is not on my menu I ask them to bring that.

You could not go wrong with a fresh organic turkey.

Then again if they are eating out a lot they are not as picky as they let on to be.

PS you may want to edit your original post. If the daughter were to find this site it would be a whole new family feud.

UNstress for the holidays......either she can bring the main course, or make what you and your husband like, and ENJOY!!!!!!!! I'm making dinner for a houseful of relatives.....all the trimmings and goodies, but our families love everything I make! Stuffed turkey with wine gravy, mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, buttered corn, deviled eggs, cranberry sauce, potato salad, oleves, pickles, and a real cheesecake! And there's lots of homemade cookies!!!! Choc. chip, Mich. rocks, starlight mint, and pineapple cupcakes. We are feasting, and whoever goes away hungry.....can stop at Burger King on their way home.

Just common courtesy and manners.....when you are invited to someone's home for a meal, you keep negative comments to yourself and enjoy what is being offered graciously. That girl needs some manners.

You poor thing. Did you ask them what in tarnation they will eat? Dang, I hate when that happens.

I would do something different I guess.

I think I would instead of making a dinner, make a buffett of all kinds of finger foods including orderves such as crackers and cheese, those stupid little weeners, pigs in a blanket, buffalo wings, hot rolls, stuffed celery, olives, cucumbers, a relish dish, stuff a bread/spinach dip, with sides of whatever you feel like, salad bar stuff and soup. If they can't find something they like then screw it.

Merry Christmas Taylor Jo and hang in there kiddo

But what about you, shouldn't you like what your fixing too?
default_smile.png

I guess i just could not picture christmas without the turkey...dressing....you know, the good stuff
default_smile.png
. I just love Christmas and Thanksgiving, that smell of turkey lingering threw the house at 5:00 in the morning
default_wub.png

I'd ask your hubby what his family did for christmas dinner when he was younger too, maybe do a little bit of what "you like" and what "they like" that way both partys can enjoy christmas dinner
default_smile.png

I think you HIT on it SampleMM. THOUGHT about the Chicken like Parmela suggested, but that was to much I think like turkey and they eat a lot of chicken, (they kill their own) so I'll go with the lasagna. I can make it ahead and I know how to do it. I thought about the Zita too, but was afraid to screw it up. This I know how to do. Didn't even think about it. AND if they don't like it TOOOO bad. It won't be like a WHOLE bunch of different dishes to make, just simple.
Add a tossed salad and a loaf of garlic french bread and you have a whole meal. Sounds wonderful, can I come?
default_wink.png

I can't remember what we did for meals on Christmas when I was a kid, but... Before I got married it was just Mom and me for Christmas (what family we have is too far away), and we'd have crab for dinner. Since, I got married; we do Christmas Eve at his folks' house, and have breakfast for supper (eggs, hashbrowns, and ham or bacon). And, Christmas morning at my Mom's where we have brunch (usually eggs, hashbrowns and ham or bacon). Who cares what you eat, as long as you are together.

I love lasagna, heck I love any food. My husbands parents say they love the fact that I will eat ANYTHING they serve. I'll eat vegetables from their garden, and deer they hunt and butcher, and even if Im not 100% in love with how his mother prepares something, I eat all of it, and thank her.

We don't do lasagna for Christmas dinner at my parents house, however we do lasagna at my "second mothers" house (not mother in law) when we do our Christmas gathering. I look forward to it every year. She has PITA family, which is why she now serves lasagna at this holiday get together. It's usually Lasagna, rolls, tossed salad, lil smokies made in a sauce that consists of BBQ and 1 tbsp grape jelly, a shrimp ring, and some type of crab dip or cheese ball for something to munch on.

Well since you already know they're gonna be a PITA and probably not want whatever you decide to fix, I think you should just fix what you and your hubby want. If they eat it ok, if not they can get themselves something on the way home. The holidays are too stressful to worry about whether adult guests are going to eat what you serve. Fix what you want and relax and enjoy your meal.
I totally agree with AppyLover2!

I'm an extremely
default_yes.gif
picky eater (ie. I don't eat vegetables....haven't purposefully in over 25 years)...and I'm the first to admit it. I would probably be your worst dinner guest-I love the traditional turkey meal...but the only thing I eat is a bun (with butter, not margarine) with white turkey meat (can't have any dark spots) and lots of salt!! It gets a little annoying when people try to get me to eat something else- "don't you want some potatoes" "you'd better try some stuffing"...if I wanted it, I would already have some on my plate...I know what I like so leave me alone! Did I mention that I'm picky?!
default_laugh.png
To me, if you like the turkey dinner, go for it-the lasagna wouldn't be something I'd eat and it limits the alternatives (if they don't like the turkey, there'd be other things that they could make do with).

I would never expect someone to cook something special for me...cook whatever you want and if they don't like it they can either host next year or do what I often do...stop somewhere on the way home!

If they eat a lot of chicken then I would go with roast chicken or turkey (unless you or your husband dislike chicken/turkey?)--it's something they ordinarily like and so might eat it...

I would expect them to not eat lasagna....maybe I'm wrong and it's their favorite dish, but I find that is something you either like or you absolutely won't eat. Quite honestly if I went to someone's for Christmas and was served lasagna, I would excuse myself & find the nearest Chicken Delight & order dinner there.

MA--Yorkshire pudding? Ick. That ranks right down with lasagna for me! so no, not something "everyone" loves.

I'd go with traditional meal with a bit of variety--turkey (or chicken) two kinds of veggies, lettuce salad, potatoes, perogies, fresh buns, jello salad, pickles, gravy, cranberry sauce.

If they normally eat chicken but refuse it at your place then they're just being rude, not "picky eaters"

Latest posts

Back