Chickens

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now dont laugh.... But in summer , when Im walking out to feed up of an evening , just so the snakes know Im coming ................ I bash the buckets together as Im walking to the feed shed :rofl

Not laughing as I'd do the same thing; especially in Australia, or Florida, or SE Asia !!!

I got fed up with my hens. For some reason, they all got cranky. Breaking eggs, pecking holes in eggs, quarreling, picking on each other. They go out every day to forage over the whole property, have multiple nest boxes, and I make sure there is ventilation in the house. I couldn't stand the turmoil any more so gave 5 of the seven away. I thought I was keeping two that would get along, but lo and behold, I went out this morning and one was chasing the other. egad. The chased one is a favorite as she is the one who enjoyed sitting on the horses. She is so cowed now, she is afraid to come over. I am beginning to think grasshopper control and fresh eggs are not worth it. I don't think it is the heat, as this behavior started before it got hot. "Pecking order" is right.

Were they pecking the eggs in the nest boxes? I keep a golf ball in each of my nest boxes,. A few pecks on those and they stop pecking. It is hard to believe they don't know the difference between a golf ball and an egg!
I have golf balls for snakes. Never thought of putting one in to teach chickens a lesson. I will do that.

Your chickens are beautiful Marsha. Are they Barred Rock? I was thinking of getting some, but I’m not sure if I want to deal with additional animals and their upkeep…. and more poop 😝 I would only get 2, which isn’t a lot, but I see my neighbor fuss over hers and they seem like high maintenance to me. I would free range them during the day and up at night. What do y’all say? Go for it or don’t waste my time?? Hubby says we can just go to the grocery store for eggs 🤣

I haven't read this whole thread, so please excuse me....I have had chickens for several years (leftover from 4-H projects with the kids). This does sometimes happens. They often will not accept an injured chicken back once removed. I put the injured chicken in a large dog cage and keep it in the coop with the others. I leave them there until healed up and looks like the others might accept it back. That way it is still part of the flock but kept safe. Works about 95% of the time.

Pitter Patter, that's how I got into chickens too! Daughter did Rabbits and Poultry in 4-H. (She's 24 now.) We have 15, not counting 2 roosters and 8 chicks.... with more chicks about ready to be hatched any day. Oh, and we have some Mallards as well.

Your chickens are beautiful Marsha. Are they Barred Rock? I was thinking of getting some, but I’m not sure if I want to deal with additional animals and their upkeep…. and more poop 😝 I would only get 2, which isn’t a lot, but I see my neighbor fuss over hers and they seem like high maintenance to me. I would free range them during the day and up at night. What do y’all say? Go for it or don’t waste my time?? Hubby says we can just go to the grocery store for eggs 🤣
Yes, barred rocks. That is our favorite breed and generally we have no trouble at all. I can't understand what made them start to quarrel and break eggs. I think you would be fine with two or three. Plenty of eggs. Once you start with those, you won't be able to stand store-bought. And, I think it is a good allergy thing because the girls eat the local bugs and flora, which goes into the eggs.
I sure hope I can work this out with the two. I cannot imagine what stressed them so much. They are enclosed at night and have their regular forage routes around the property.

I haven't read this whole thread, so please excuse me....I have had chickens for several years (leftover from 4-H projects with the kids). This does sometimes happens. They often will not accept an injured chicken back once removed. I put the injured chicken in a large dog cage and keep it in the coop with the others. I leave them there until healed up and looks like the others might accept it back. That way it is still part of the flock but kept safe. Works about 95% of the time.
I have never had an injured bird able to return to the flock. Best to rehome the bird after it heals into a new flock. They are bird brains, but they have long memories about that.

So, I can tell you that animal for animal, chickens are higher maintenance than the horses if you do it right....My kids all did chickens in 4-H. Would you believe it took each child 5 times more time and work for a cage of five laying hens than it did for my daughter to show her dog in agility, goat in showmanship and pack, and llama in obstacle and showmanship! I love mine, but at the same time trying to keep up with where they all are and keeping them safe from predation and each other can be a headache. I have several who have taken up residence in the woods. They have started their own little commune with chickens from two neighbors! Don't know if they'll come back when the weather turns or not or if any will even survive predation. Stinkers! The eggs are nice of course, the mess is not. Mine free range (and you can see from above how well that works! Happy chickens/dead chickens/runaways!) and come back in the evening to be locked up. They do help with bugs, but they could work harder at the ticks and pine beetles! LOL.

chickens are higher maintenance 5 times more time and work … headache.…. Stinkers! …. mess ….dead chickens/runaways….

poop on my back patio

So this is what is just read from Pitter Patter and Willow Flats….
chickens are higher maintenance, 5 times more time and work, headache, stinkers, mess, dead chickens, runaways, and poop on my back patio!!

🤣 😝

So this is what is just read from Pitter Patter and Willow Flats….
chickens are higher maintenance, 5 times more time and work, headache, stinkers, mess, dead chickens, runaways, and poop on my back patio!!

🤣 😝
You forgot: help with insects; benefit of local allergens through the fresh eggs, and compost.

You forgot: help with insects; benefit of local allergens through the fresh eggs, and compost.
Yep...and all the good stuff too! I do love my chickens even with all the mess. They are pretty funny much of the time. When kids were little and we had about 40 chickens, they often followed kids to the bus stop! It was pretty funny but I had to gather them up and shoo them back home. They adored my boy and in return he earned money selling the eggs. Good life lesson! This is why I can't butcher my little characters!

I've had lots of learning and chicken adventures, ever since I got my own home place 5 years ago. I only have bantams, as I try to keep everything here mini.

I just whittled my flock down to the following (all bantam):
Frizzle D'Uccle rooster
One Delaware hen
One I'm not sure pullet that a friend just gifted me. She might be a Silkie cross.
And last, but not least, one Black Old English hen....who's hatching out 10 chicks even as I post this!😍 I candled these eggs on Friday, so I know all 10 are viable. Any that don't hatch will be last second quitters.

Here's Missy and three wet babies:
20210704_151751.jpg20210704_151729.jpg

Here's Crystal (and the chicks I just sold):20210624_165601.jpg
Here's C.K....boss bird:
20210624_165527.jpg

And here's Gussie:
20210704_160004.jpg20210704_155938.jpg
She's the one I'm not sure what she is. Maybe a Silkie cross? Any guesses are fine with me. I'll definitely be keeping her as a breeder.

Crystal lays some fine medium size dark tinted eggs. I'll gather hers for eating until Gussie starts laying and I know what color her eggs are. She was setting on a clutch of "whoever laid in this nest, I'll brood them for you eggs" when I got her. Previous owner moved eggs to an incubator in her house. We're friends, so it'll be interesting to see if any hatch.

In the meantime, I'll crate the flock I now have together to get them integrated as one flock, and chicken math can go on from here. 😁😁

Latest posts

Back