Chickens

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your chickens are beautiful Marsha. Are they Barred Rock? I was thinking of getting some, but I’m not sure if I want to deal with additional animals and their upkeep…. and more poop 😝 I would only get 2, which isn’t a lot, but I see my neighbor fuss over hers and they seem like high maintenance to me. I would free range them during the day and up at night. What do y’all say? Go for it or don’t waste my time?? Hubby says we can just go to the grocery store for eggs 🤣

Just beware of....... CHICKEN MATH! 🤭🤭

😭😭😭😭

I'm sooo sad, and mad, at my service dog (and myself.)

My little black hen, Missie, ended up with 8 of the 10 hatched into beautiful little puffs of chicks. One of the last two pipped, but died before hatching. The last one cracked it's shell, but it shrink wrapped and I couldn't save it.

I had her in the basement in a little broody pen for a couple of days (the chicks hatched over 4 days time) after the last two hatched so that everyone could get strong. Thank goodness, a friend of mine came over and took 4, because....

My sweet Monica freaked out, snacked up the chicks and squashed my momma hen. My poor, sweet, defenseless momma...I failed her.😭😭😭😭😭

I'd put Monica in her crate in the cellar where Missie was. I must not have closed her door securely, because she broke out and got to the hen and chicks.

I wish now that I hadn't gotten frustrated with Monica's scaredy dog restlessness and had just kept her with me that night and lost sleep.

I hope my poor little chicken momma will forgive me. 😔😔20210706_191521.jpg

RIP, sweet little chickie babys. I'm glad some of you survived.

Last edited:
Back