check in if you can from the tornado plagued states

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was right here knocking on my door but all is well

Thank you to all those who called and emailed checking on us. I was at work and the tornado came right up to the town skipped the town and touched down right on the other side, there are many who have lost everything including their livestock. I am very thankful that it went over the town without setting down as the loss of life would have been very possible as people were just leaving work. Yes my farm was in the way of the tornado, but everyone including the four legged kids are ok, we were very lucky! Only some tree limbs down, and we did lose the back run in shed, but thankfully I did not let any horses out of the barn that day!

Here is the link to the newspaper from yesterday. http://maysville-online.com/

We are extremely blessed as there was no damage here. We had high winds and severe storms but all is well. 10 miles south of us is Henryville, IN. The entire town is gone. It was an F4 tornado and just totally demolished everything in its path. One family lost five family members...three of which were small children. It is all just so heartbreaking. Thanks for thinking of us and stay safe everyone. The weather is so scary and we are all very vulnerable to it.

• so glad to see our forum members being able to check in and so far safe for the most part
  • and
    default_pray.gif
    prayers for all those in such desperate times in the storms paths. You are all in our thoughts and prayers

My cousin lives in Murphy, NC and they had a tornado touch down there. They are fine but had some damage to stores in their town....scary!!

Glad to read everyone here is fine, too!!

Some folks have said they keep horses in the barns during a storm..we always do during rain and snow. Neighbors here always turn animals out during threatening tornadoes however..because if the barn goes, so will many of their horses. They can run away from the storm if they have enough room. Depends on the size of your place, I suppose... Several folks released their horses totally from fenced areas, and all came back when things calmed down (we all pretty much know who belongs where..)

It was suppost to hit where I live but nothing happened this time. Thank goodness! Had horrible winds but that was all. We got lucky wish everyone else was so lucky. It is so sad to see the stories and pics

We are ok here in GA. I did have several friends that lost their homes, but no injuries.

Michelle

We are ok here in GA. I did have several friends that lost their homes, but no injuries.

Michelle

Some folks have said they keep horses in the barns during a storm..we always do during rain and snow. Neighbors here always turn animals out during threatening tornadoes however..because if the barn goes, so will many of their horses. They can run away from the storm if they have enough room. Depends on the size of your place, I suppose... Several folks released their horses totally from fenced areas, and all came back when things calmed down (we all pretty much know who belongs where..)
I know in the infamous May 3rd tornado that destroyed so much in Oklahoma, my stepson (farrier) did horses for a guy that trained racehorses.. All 8 horses in the barn were gone, out of 8 outside, 4 survived..

In our tornado last year we had 3 in the barn and thank God they were on the West side because the West wall was the only wall left. Out of 4 stalls on the West wall 3 stalls stayed intact.. One stall came apart and that horse escaped with only scratches. Our mare that died was outside where the actual vortex came through... We had 18 outside. It is just a Miracle that none others died. The two horses in the barn sustained the worst injuries, one of them from trying to jump out of the stall. The stalls just across the asile were totally hosed up with metal, poles, splintered 2X4s... The horses would have died if they were across the asile.

I think it just depends on how strong the tornado is. Our barn had sustained 90 mph winds in a storm in 2002 but didn't stand a chance against an F4. The police told me the tornado was a mile wide but I think it was really 1/2 mile wide but the inflow damage was a mile wide...

If ever faced with this again... I think I would let them out, they were just sitting ducks in the barn..

Latest posts

Back