Charm - Filly 3/23/13!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I agree with Diane, all sounds normal. we all worry about our newborns, so don't be afraid to ask any question that pops into your head.
default_thumbup.gif
We really would like a video of her of her first outing
default_whistling.gif

Yes new photos and a video would be awesome! I wish all mares could have a delivery like Charm did. Quick, easy, with healthy mama and foal.

Thank you ladies for the reassurance!
default_smile.png
I have a doggie blanket that seems to help, I was just afraid to leave it on too long as the belly part of it is solid (but there is room for air to get to her navel). I wish I could post a video of her first turnout, I think she is going to be fun to watch! But, unfortunately, we are on crummy limited internet service because that's all we can get out here, so I can't do video.
default_thumbdown.gif
But I will take some pictures!

First turnout was so much fun today!
default_laugh.png
I couldn't get the little poot to follow Charm (currently no attached turnout available--I have to lead Charm about 100 feet to her turnout area) but didn't want to stress them by taking them separately--and I had no one around to help--so I scooped Willow up and carried her while leading Charm. Try that with a stock horse foal! LOL. Not that I plan to make a habit of that; at the time it just seemed the easiest way for all involved. Charm was in total "mama mode" and did more running than Willow trying to keep Willow away from the fenceline and my BH on the other side of said fenceline.

Willow has an almost lavender hue to me in natural light. Here are a few pics
default_smile.png

DSC04016.JPG DSC04029.JPG DSC04030.JPG

DSC04034.JPG DSC04046.JPG DSC04026.JPG

Just had another question now that Willow is 2 weeks old. She seems a very normal, spunky baby--running and playing and having lots of fun during her turnout time (currently roughly 12 hours turnout + 12 hours stalled (11' x 12' stall). Her front legs have straightened up quite a bit since she was born but she is not as upright in her hind legs as I would have expected her to be by now--when she nurses or when she tries to use her stay mechanism, her hind toes often point up off the ground--is this common in mini foals, and is it anything to be concerned over? At what age do you guys start rasping foals' feet (for corrective purposes or just maintenance-wise?).

I actually took these pictures to show my mom the halter I made Willow (I bought the smallest mini foal halter I could find, but it was still big enough to fall off, so I made my own), but you might be able to get an idea about her hind legs from these. (I do not leave the halter on her, this was just for the pictures--I just handle her a few minutes each day teaching basic lessons and she gets the rest of the day to just be a baby.
default_smile.png
Not sure I will even do any real leading lessons until the "regular" halter I bought fits, as I'm not sure that I'm keen on using a rope halter on such a tiny baby) Anyway, back to legs/feet...I can try to get a photo of just her hoof and leg if needed.

Charm 130406 (2).JPG Charm 130406 (5).JPG Charm 130406 (3).JPG

Yes, I can see what you mean in the last pic. I has one like that last year so my farrier trimmed him a bit, he was about 2-3 weeks old. As he grew he got straighter but her just needed a little more attention than the others.

I love her little halter
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back