CDEs...... Help? Advice? More help?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minihorsecwgrl

Reaction score
Hi again!

I love showing in local miniature horse shows, don't get me wrong, but I feel like I could do more! My gelding loves to drive and so do I, he is such a pleasure to do anything with really. But I have started hearing more and more about these combined driving events and how more and more minis are taking the shows by storm! I would really like to try this! the question is.....How? I use to ride large horses dressage, so is it the same concept, just in a cart? Or are there different things to look for and train them to do since they are in the cart? My sister (who still rides dressage) and I were discussing this yesterday. does dressage in the cart require more detailed training because there is no rider in their back, pushing them with their leg, to help them use themselves properly? The whole concept is very interesting to me and I would love to find out more! Especially about hazards! Please please please help me out with ANYTHING and ANY info you have is useful to me!

Thank you!,

Rachel and her little ones
default_smile.png

Hi Rachel!

You should definitely try CDE, I think you'd really enjoy it. Love the questions you're asking! I recommend the book Carriage Driving - a logical approach through dressage training by Heike Bean.

A CDE needs lots of volunteers, so that's a great way to get your feet wet and see what it's all about before you enter.

Here's an article I wrote a few years ago about attending your first CDE: http://circlejranches.com/cde.html

Good luck and have fun!

hi,,, type cde4vse into your internet search engine. There you will find a website created by Leia Gibson. Treasure trove of information. enjoy

ps, I don't know if Leia still maintains that site or if the forum is still open, but there is still a ton of information on that site to get you started.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the American Driving Society webisite. A wealth of information on every aspect of driving, icluding CDE's. You can also find lists of ADS competions around the country and can find something close to home.

When I was in pony club, we had to volunteer for Lana DuPonts combined driving events and I loved judging the cross country because it was the most exciting for me. It was amazing to me how these teams of horses could whip in and out of these obstacles.

I compete in CDE's and yes the mini division (called VSE) is one of the fastest growing divisions. The dressage phase is judged just as ridden dressage and is the basis for the whole event. Driven dressage is a bit harder to train for than ridden, especially for the VSE's since we aren't able to ride them to assist in the training. You must use your voice and whip, as well as your hands to teach them. Your whip is your legs in driven dressage. The same training scale is used in driven as is used in riding. If you and your horse are not performing well in the dressage movements, then they also won't perform well in cones and hazards as the ability to bend and transition is what makes a good score. You cannot drive a hazard aggressively and do well unless you have your pony very bendable and in your hands, which is what the dressage tests are asking for as you move up the levels. You start at training level which is asking for rhythm and relaxation, some engage of hindquarters and acceptance of the bit in dressage and only trotting allowed in cones and marathon. Prelim is the next step up and requires a greater degree of balance and suppleness while working towards the bit, more engagement of the hindquarters and lengthenings are added. Prelim level is allowed to canter in the cones and marathon. These are the two levels that most compete at and once you excel at Prelim then you are able to move up to Intermediate and advanced which requires more suppleness, collection, balance and all the other fun things of dressage. Having a dressage background will help you a lot and as you know, if takes lots of time and practice to move up the levels.

The website referred to earlier I don't believe Leia keeps up much anymore. She has it on facebook now as cde4vse and is a very active group.

Back