CDE Newbies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortpig

Reaction score
What are the items a person would have to have just starting out in CDE? I have an easy entry cart. I have harnesses and I have the horses. Oh! And it appears I have a person who is interested in giving it a try. What else would we have to have?

I am about as new to CDE as you can get but I do know that - at least around here - you can't always use an EE cart with rubber tires. Check with the actual event you plan to enter, but there are general rules on the American Driving Society website. And you will need some kind of driving apron and brown gloves.

Have fun!! Oh, and there is more to it than just "CDE" - there are arena driving trials (ADTs) and pleasure driving shows, and continuous drives, and probably more. I doubt we will ever do an actual marathon (but you never know) but we can find plenty of ADS events around here to compete in anyway.

If you can find a show near you that will accept your wire wheeled easy entry at training level and has a VSE division you can certainly get a taste of Pleasure driving and see if you enjoy it. If they don't have a VSE division you will need a navigator for the cross country portion. Once you know whether you like it and what you want to do you can start to purchase equipment needed to be competitive.

Your first step should be to join the ADS.

To go to your first show in your easy entry you need a harness that matches your cart - the metal on both should match or if your cart is all black you can use brass or silver on your harness. It should have brown lines the entire length, breeching and you shouldn't use a check (sidechecks are allowed if your horse likes to munch but best if you don't need one) Make sure the bit you use is a legal one. You will need an apron, brown gloves, long sleeved shirt and vest or jacket, and hat or helmet for yourself.

You will need to check the premium to see which dressage test is being used and practice it at home. You should also practice cones at home and if you can set up a hazard/obstacle or two that is a good idea too.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks I have asked Erin of Moore Acres to check this out. She is the one who is interested. Are there any requirements regarding ownership of the horse you use? I think she is considering using Duckie when she returns from training. Not positive about that but she commented she would like to try it.

As for me I don't like checks on a horse, so that is no problem. I prefer a horse travel in their comfort zone.

I don't want to step right in investing a bunch of money I don't have in a new cart for this.

Marie,

In the PNW you are okay with your easy entry cart until you move up to preliminary. As stated before you will get minor deductions in score for metal pieces that do not match . You must have breeching. And a whip in your hand. Aprons are easy to make and you will see many different designs and fabrics. If you stay with an apron that matches your cart seat, you'll be appropriate. At an event last year a turnout was scored lower because the driver and groom were not wearing a jacket (usually when the temperatures are high, jackets can become optional, but that was not the case at that one event.) Long sleeves a must, brown gloves a must. If you go with a hat, it should have a small brim so as to not blow off. Helmet and long pants are mandatory for marathon, and a stop watch while not mandatory, is needed. I wear tennis shoes on marathon because they have grippy soles. The fall event at Happ's is the greatest place to get your start as it is meant as an educational experience. The people there are friendly, helpful, and generous with their equipment if you've forgotten something. The most important thing to bring to a CDE, besides the horse and cart
default_biggrin.png
is a desire for an incredibly fun day!

Dorothy

. Are there any requirements regarding ownership of the horse you use? I think she is considering using Duckie when she returns from training.

Anyone may drive any horse. Horse needs not to be registered, only under the mandatory 99cm at the top of the withers. That is for VSE, of course. Horse may still compete if it is tall; it just has to compete as a pony which requires a navigator (extra person) on marathon and "ups" the speeds at which the horse must travel.

In addition to what has already been mentioned, you will need a suitable whip. Sometimes it is helpful to have a longer one for dressage/cones, and a shorter one for the marathon. At one point, they debated making whips optional on the marathon, but now it is back in.

It's also helpful to have at least one stopwatch for the marathon, and to have your times calculated for you if you don't know how. Putting the times in some sort of protective pouch works well. Some VSE people strap them to their legs. We use a spare number holder.

You must have an approved equestrian helmet for the marathon. No shorts allowed, either.

The bridle must have a caveson/noseband and throatlatch.

The vehicle must have red rear reflectors or lamps for Dressage and Cones. They can be "removable" but must be securely attached. If the marathon goes out on a public road, an SMV sign is good to have. (Actually, you should have that regardless if you are in a competition anytime you are out on the road. State law around here.)

The horse must be at least four yrs. old. There are rules about the age of the driver/groom, too, depending on the facility (fenced or not).

There are some wonderful websites devoted to VSEs in CDEs. They have great information for those just starting out.

And yes, joining the ADS is great! Your knowledge base will grow much faster with that resource available to you!

Myrna

You also need a medical armband with your emergency contact info, etc in it.

On cross country it is a good idea to carry an extra whip tied to your cart in case you lose the one you are using.

[silly me, I took so long writing this and getting logged back in that my response is now redundant -- oh well...]

Hey Marie,

For training level, pneumatic tires and wire-spoked wheels are allowed at Happs and, I believe, the other northwest CDEs. You'll DEFINITELY want No Mor Flats innertubes or slime-filled tires, and be forewarned that the Happs marathon course is quite rough in an easy entry cart (ask me how I know...).

They no longer requires a spares kit, but you'll need to carry a few things anyway, especially a halter and lead rope.

A great resource for beginners (and beyond) is minihorsecde.com. It covers all the basic questions (such as those you asked) and includes a conditioning program that I found very helpful. :modedit: (links that go to interactive mini horse forums other than LB are not allowed) Leia and Amy's past posts on LB about their CDE experiences will give you a ton of information.

The Happs website has oodles of information, including the particulars for each event. Maureen Harkcom, who runs everything, is unbelievably helpful -- even in the midst of running everything, she took the time to talk with me and introduce me to someone to shadow for the day (Terri Jones).

You, Vicky and Erin need to come up for the Happs CDE in June...just being there is an education -- not to mention a total blast.

The assorted schooling CDEs at Happs are a great way to test the waters once anyone is ready to give it a go.

You already have a tremendous resource in Dorothy. She and Ron are so supportive of everyone and can tell you everything you ever need to know, including the differences between breed show and ADS rules. Ron has posted some great information on estimating your horse's speed on course while on course.

We don't have any ADS pleasure shows up here -- the closest we get are driving classes in open shows and the carriage driving classes at the Oregon State Fair.

Happs does offer their Trec, which Amy (Clickmini) can tell you about -- you can also read about it on the Happs website...I just know that it sounds like fun.

Another thing you can do at Happs, although it needs to be scheduled so as not to interfere with any events, is to take your horse up and train over the marathon course, including creek crossings, He11 Hi11, seeing deer and cattle, etc. It's well worth the drive and the nominal fee, and would be a fun day in and of itself.

Depending on how much research you enjoy (I live for it), many websites have articles on various aspects of driving, such as Andy Marceaux's articles on Coachman's Delight.

One thing I can't emphasize enough, especially considering Vicky's experience in breed shows: CDE people are unbelievably friendly and helpful -- they don't treat you like the competition but as a friend who is discovering something they love.

Ok so we have the horse, we have the cart, we will have the harness in a week. I guess what we will need is a whip, gloves, helmet, red reflectors, and a SMV, food for me, I will just be watching I assure you. Plenty of atta girls for the horse.

By the sounds of it if we go to Happs Erin will need a heating pad for her Butt afterwards.

Anyone know where a person can get the solid rubber tires with wheels? I searched this morning on the net and couldn't find anything with a price where you can just get them. I figure 24" for the Duck.

Sure glad we aren't planning on using my Jimmy for this he would need a SSMV. Super Slow Moving Vehicle.
default_new_rofl.gif
Sorry he's a high stepper and not a fast mover.

Latest posts

Back