Caring for a pregnant mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spindleberry

Reaction score
Would love to get all the information I need on caring for a pregnant mini and of course after she foals to. Never raised a mini baby before or had a mini foal....

So basically any and all information you think would be important for someone who's new to the mini pregnancy/foaling...

Thankyou in advance!!

Btw- how long are they typically pregnant for?

default_saludando.gif
why has nobody answered this questioon...i to would like to no

Ok.

This is a very broad question, with many answers. But ill make a start. Im sure others will have a lot to add.

You need to keep your mare in good condition, not too fat and certainly not too thin. I do actually like to have my mares a little heavier when in foal, but not to the point of being obese or unhealthy. Just an "extra layer".

Keep her feet done, as she puts on weight and gets bigger, it puts more stress on her feet and legs. So make sure you keep up with her trimming.

I like to give a good mare and foal pellet throughout the pregnancy, and lactation. I also keep the mare on a mare and foal supplement. In Australia we have "Cell grow" that i love. Not sure what you have over there, but im sure someone can recommend something.

When the mare gets closer to her foaling date (around day 300 i think is good, but earlier if you think she is progressing quicker), bring her into her own space, a safe foaling yard/paddock/stable so she can start getting immunity to the new surroundings to pass on to her foal.

Most mares foal between 320 - 340 days. About 75% of mine have foaled between 320 - 330 days, and ALL have foaled between 310-335. Mares can go earlier or much later. I would work out her due date on 330 days from the last date she was bred, and work with that.

I wont talk about vaccinations, as im sure the requirements for you will be totally different to here. Ill let someone else touch on that one for you.

When she is closer to foaling, start monitoring her closely. Do all that you can to be in attendance at foaling time. Many a foal has needlessly died because of something as simple as not getting out of the sack after birth (often all you will have to do while attending a birth is break the sack once the foal is out). Worse still, you could lose the mare and foal if the foal gets stuck/isnt presented correctly, and noone is in attendance to help.

Do as much research and reading as you can on the signs of foaling, what to expect in a normal foaling, and what you can do if a foaling isnt going as it should. Notify your vet closer to foaling that they may get a late night phone call, and keep their number on hand.

Mares need plenty of good feed after foaling, and you will need to up her feed to cater for the milk production. After a few days, the foal may start showing an interest in the mares feed. This is fine. I do like to wet all my horses feeds down, so i just make it a tad wetter while the foal is getting used to eating it to make it softer.

I turn my mares and foals out with the rest of the herd after about 6-7 days, but sometimes i wait longer if the mare is too protective, or if there is bad weather and i want to keep the foal in and dry/warm.

The first little while, the foal cannot regulate their body temperature real well, as they have no excess body fat. So its important to keep them warm if needed (or cool) so they arent wasting their energy trying to keep themselves warm.

Ok... ill leave it at that for the moment. Im sure there will be lots added & other opinions. I need to finish dinner
default_smile.png

As said, very broad question. To add to the above excellent post I would say, as a newbie, get to know your vet!

Before my first foal was born my vet timed himself from his place to mine, I then had to know how to handle a lot of potential foaling problems for that time frame.

Read everything, not just the good bits. Know what can go wrong and what you have to do to save your mare and foal. It may be scary stuff to read but you have to know it.

Don't skimp on your foal kit, even if this is the only foal you will ever have make sure you have everything you will need in it.

Make sure your mare is comfortable with you handling her all over, you will need to check the udder and vulva for changes pre-foaling and this is much easier if you aren't ducking a hoof!

Learn what you can about the mare's history, especialy previous foals!

Make sure all your fences/shelters are mini foal safe before that baby even touches the ground, it will be one less thing to stress about later.

Decide if you will use a video feed or foaling alarm in advance and understand the system.

I kind of go overboard on planning but it meant that this year when my alarm broke and I couldn't milk test the mare I still had back up plans!

Hi Spindleberry,

Breeding from and foaling out a mare is a very vast subject, information wise. You have received some great answers here already, so I would just say read as much as you can, try to find someone who is foaling mares, who would allow you to go and visit, or at least agree to mentor you through the whole experience as it is not for the faint hearted!

May I ask if you already have a pregnant mare or are you thinking of buying one to breed from - if it is the latter then I would respectfully suggest you go and buy yourself a nice foal, specially chosen to your ideal conformation and colour (none of the waiting for a mare to foal, nor the worry of having something go wrong at foaling time) and then get plenty of experience behind you before deciding whether breeding is really something you want to get into.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back