Calming supplements

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Champ

Reaction score
Does anyone use any calming supplements and if you do what kind, for how long and do you think they work?

Yes, I use Quiessence on my very moody mare which can be a bit witchey most of the time. It works great on her and we get along much better since I've been using it and I can trust her more with my grandchildren. I feed her about 2 tablespoons everyday with her feed.

I use to use Calm & Cool daily supplement on my NSH who could be very high strung and moody especially during her seasonal period. I like it because it does not contain drugs just natural vitamins. I did have to give it to her for a few weeks before I saw an initial results. I never really noticed how well it worked until I ran out. If I remember it was priced very reasonably.

I miss that gal and had her forever, but had to give her up because I can no longer ride the way I use too and it was not fair to her. But that is why God made minis - to fill our horsey needs.
default_biggrin.png

Sherry

I also use Quiessence, and love it. It is not a calming supplement but the magnesium and vitamin E in it seem to have calming properties. If a horse is difficent in either one of those minerals they will be moody. I have used it for a year or so now and I love love love it.

Courtney

Thanks for everyones input
default_saludando.gif
the reason I ask is because I have a gelding who is scared to death when the snow falls off the metal roof of his barn and here in NH it has snowed over 3 feet so needless to say it's been hard on him, I'm thinking of putting him on a calming supplement until April when the snow stops.

Nope. And in your situation I wouldn't.

I do not agree with Marty on this. We had a show rabbit that would go into shut down if we took him to a show. He had to be removed from our State Fair because he could not cope with the show and would have died. He was then included (new owners knew his problem) in a breeding program trade. The new owner brought a supplement called Natures Calm. She gave it to him as soon as she got here. She gave another dose when she left. She owned him about 1 year before he did die. But my point is the supplement worked for the upset of a show or transporting to a new home. I see no reason why it would not work for the upset of the snow sliding off the roof.

Marty,why do you think it's not a good idea and what other options do you suggest?

Latest posts

Back