Buying small dog clothes?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
I was just curious where others buy clothes for their small dogs? I looked at PetSmart and Walmart, and there isn't a whole lot of selection at either place. I have gotten an outside coat, and an inside jacket for Teddy, but they don't seem overly comfortable for him to wear all the time. I'm looking for outfits that have velcro or snaps, because I'm worried about trying to manuever his arms into a sweater, like a barbie doll.
default_laugh.png
Thanks.

I don't find much at Pet Smart or Pet Co. I find a lot of reasonable and cute stuff at Wal Mart. It has over the head or velco. I want to make things and sell them just having trouble figuring out a machine. Only thing I notice about about Wal Mart at least ours is they tend to have more female clothes then male, however yours might me different.

Good luck to you. Oh I also looked on line at sites but I really haven't found any specfic site I've liked yet. TJ

I would love to find some "pj's" that have a waterproof (rubberized) under-carriage. I have small dogs - Havanese - and they have a lot of hair (think crapzu) but aren't very tall. It would be so great to be able to put them into some really comfy, stretchy, pj-type of clothes, complete with legs and feet (kind of like little kids wear) and be able to let the out to run around and not come back in looking like swamp rats and full of sticks and leaves. Stac

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I'm not a believer of dressing dogs unless they are short haired and get cold easily outside. that said, ebay has tons of small dog clothes. Check them out

I have boughten some really nice sweaters and coats from Pet Edge. They also carry clipper blades for the horses!!!!
default_biggrin.png
Good quality stuff from them!!!

Leya

I've bought alot of things from walmart, sometimes target will have something. Christmas tree shop here has some really cute things.. Otherwise ebay has tons of pet cloths

I've actually found quite a few dog clothes on Craig's List, Freecycle and at yard sales. They aren't new, but most are close to new and I can get them real cheap.
default_smile.png

Thanks for the replies. I just recently got a short haired chihuahua (not really by choice but I love the little guy), and have absolutely no idea how to clothe a dog. I have two big guys (a lab/chow mix and a possible border collie mix) and they have long hair. This little guy shakes all over the place in the early mornings and late evenings. I feel so bad for him. I have gotten him a couple of jackets, but I don't know if they are the right size for him, they seem a little short/tight...but I don't want them too long where he pees on them either. Do these look like they fit right?

DSCN1989.jpg

DSCN1910.jpg

I really like the idea of sweaters, but how don't you hurt their little arms when trying to put them on?
default_unsure.png

They look just right for him. I have a 6lb Miniature Pinscher and what I tought her was what you normally tell your children when undressing them. ARMS UP! lol So if its something that slips over her head, when I go to take it off, I tell her the arms up and lift her right up and slide the shirt/jacket off just like a child. She loves her cloths and knows what I mean when I say it. Its really cute. She even dresses herself if you have the patience. I just guide her head in the hole and she will normally try and find the feet holes herself.
default_biggrin.png
Otherwise I just put hr head in first and then put her feet in one at a time.

She even dresses herself if you have the patience. I just guide her head in the hole and she will normally try and find the feet holes herself. Otherwise I just put hr head in first and then put her feet in one at a time.
default_laugh.png
My Min Pin does the same thing, she even slides out of her clothes the same as yours does.
default_wub.png

Here is a site where you can find lots of nice clothes, and the prices are very reasonable too. The lady raises Min Pins, and has them in all sizes, so when you give her the measurements, she knows exactly what size dog they will fit. The Yuppy Puppy

I still think your guy is a Min Pin, he has the smaller almond shaped eyes, the ears, long tapered muzzle, long legs for the size of him; and the docked tail.
default_smile.png

Haha Sue. I thought he resembled the min pin moreso than a chihuahua too. That is...until someone told me that he is a "deer headed chihuahua". Turns out that when I thought of a chi, I pictured an "apple headed chihuahua". I had no idea that there were different kinds, other than long haired and short haired.
default_laugh.png
He does look like a deer headed one though from what I can tell, after seeing some others. Maybe the people who owned him before me thought he looked more like a min pin too, and thats why he has the docked tail.
default_biggrin.png

www.fetchdog.com is another cute catalog with doggie clothes & accessories.....a little pricey but very cute! Some of the horse catalogs have some dog clothes in with the horse blankets, not cutesy clothes but smaller versions of turnout blankets etc. Good winter wear.
default_smile.png

Jan

But even the deer-headed Chi has a much shorter muzzle, round eyes, and shorter ears without that sideways fold.

teaka-deerhead-chihuahua.jpg

Chihuahua20.jpg

default_laugh.png
I still think he's a Min Pin...LOLOL!

No matter who or WHAT he is, he is one LUCKY DOG, that you found him and allowed him to share his life with you. Someone somewhere lost a fine little dog.
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

No matter who or WHAT he is, he is one LUCKY DOG, that you found him and allowed him to share his life with you. Someone somewhere lost a fine little dog.
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
Awwww...thanks Sue.
default_cheekkiss.gif
He's such a good little dog. He has abandonment anxiety, is beyond picky, and has used the house as his personal toilet a time too many, but I'm head over heels with him.
default_wub.png
I'm beginning to question how I ever got along before without a little "Teddy" by my side. And my husband feels the same way about him. There's something extremely cute about watching a grown man carry/walk a tiny little dog.
default_laugh.png

We bought him his own little toy (we named it Howie the Hedgehog) and he LOVES to play with it! Here's a pic of Teddy and Howie, taken a couple of days ago...

DSCN1985.jpg

I have a 2lb yorkie and a 4lb poodle. I got some adorable jackets at my groomer. They are hot pink with white polka dots and a rine stone in the center of each dot. They also have white furry collers. I also have a sweater that was hand made. I have had it for about 20 years now. I paid $18 for it in the '80's. It was well worth it. I know the tiny stuff is very hard to find. When my Jazzy had Brest Cancer I got her a parka but it never fit well and she didn't want to wear it. I didn't make her.

baxterboo.com Always has either $3 shipping, or free shipping, and AMAZING customer service. I have ordered things from them that I mis measured for, and returned them, and they give me coupons for 20%off and free shipping, and it was my fault I needed to return the item. They have tons of cheap, mid, and high end stuff. Even their more expencive stuff is usually much less than the same thing elsewhere. As far as a sweater type jacket, I absolutely LOVE the fido fleece jackets. They are very warm, and easy to get on and off. They are a step in style, with velcro down the spine. Bella loves hers more than any of her other clothing, and she has about 30 other shirts, jackets, vests, and sweaters. The fido fleece comes in a ton of different colors/designs, and if you look around online, you can usually find them on sale for under $20.

Oh with that picture you posted, he deffinently looks min pin! His face has an exact resemblance to my min pin.

Picture105.jpg

My boyfriend is the same way with Dionne. He was so against this little dog. Now she's his princess. She sleeps inbetween us and has to keep one paw on him at all time. He carries her outside to go potty. She rides the harley with us. He loves to play with her. Gets her all torqued up and runs around the house.

I find it hard to find shirts/coats that will fit my Toy Fox Terrier, somehow the leg holes don't seem to be in the right place so it's tight over his shoulders. I will have to check out some of these links to find something better. I'd love to get him a horse style blanket, but I can't find one small enough.

I have found Fido Fleece in the past to be a good one, I picked it up years ago at a local pet store.

lilmiraclesfarm...that is one beautiful little lady you have there! My Baillie is a darker rust, and it isn't nearly as high on her face as what your Dionne's is.

Yours is also the only one I ever saw with cropped ears that looked "natural". Whoever did them, did an excellent job; but I still don't think I would ever have them done...then again, I don't show, so don't need to worry about it.

9331_131050062451_610632451_2935159.jpg

PrincessBaillie-Copy.jpg

Latest posts

Back