Buying a mini unseen out of state?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlenicker

Reaction score
Anyone ever done this? How safe is is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the mini a rescue? I rescue horses and minis all the time out of state and have them shipped to me. One actually just came last week
default_smile.png

I have 4 rescue horses that all came from brokers/kill buyers that were out of state and I knew getting them they could end up ill or come with something, but if they aren't rescued they go to slaughter. They have all been healthy and wonderful (knock on wood). Then a couple months ago I bought a show horse from a breeder out of state who came to me VERY ill which I was never even warned of, she spent weeks in the hospital and fast forward 2 months and she has passed away. I don't want to scare you but I myself who rescue out of state, and the horses come from bad situations as it is I never thought this would happen. I fully trusted the person, and my filly is gone.

Its a real gamble on what your told and shown on a computer screen, that can always change! Just be extra careful!

I would point out that a lot (in fact quite probably all) kill buyers use the "it will ship to slaughter" line in order to get people to buy Minis from them- they do not, in fact, go to slaughter it is not economically viable to ship Minis, there is not enough meat on them. Kill buyers (real ones) do buy Minis, but they buy them to "flip" which is what is happening here.

If you contact Chances Rescue (there will be a link somewhere on here) they will be able to put you on their list to adopt one of their temperament tested, fostered by families, Minis.

I personally have had good luck for many years buying horses from out of state after talking with the sellers and forming an opinion of their honesty etc.

You are always taking a chance, I guess, but I have had very good experiences.

Susan O.

I bought my gelding out of state with only seeing pictures. When I did see him he was exactly what I wanted. The seller was very honest and knowledgable about this horse. We had talked to her on the phone a couple of times before purchasing him.

Like horsehug said, you always take a chance with out seeing them but if you are dealing with a knowledgeable horse seller and you believe they are very honest it might work out great.

Can you pay on a card? That way you have some security of purchase if it goes pear shaped,...

I should find out if theyll do paypal, good idea RF

I've bought two horses out of state sight unseen. One was a Missouri Foxtrotter mare. When she was unloaded she turned out to be much smaller than stated and rather ornery. She was four at the time and was I glad she grew and turned into a real sweetheart. The second one was a Miniature stallion (in my avatar) from Leeana Hackworth here on the forum. I had an excellent experience with her. Love my stallion and he proved to be what she advertised. All you can do is hope that you get a honest and reputable owner/breeder.

LN, you really can get an awful lot of Minis for $300- maybe not in your state, but since you have already taken the step to look further I would urge you to also take a broader look!

I got all three of my miniatures on line, pictures only and lots of questions. I had looked at several before and backed away because 1. they would not answer my specific questions and 2. just got a feeling that it wasn't the right one. I had two shipped and one I went and picked up. I would buy again from the people I bought from before and I would buy again online with pictures/video, and lots of questions. My advise: when in doubt...don't.

When I was purchasing, I did get a many out of state, from reputable established breeders. Please be careful, there are a great many breeders that may have registered stock that aren't breeding quality, but may do well in non halter classes. Many times you can get them for very reasonable prices and as Jane said, since you already are opening up your search, you may as well put some feelers out there to the new England region to see what is available. The LB sales board is a great place to start looking or placing an ad.

I bought a horse from out of the country! He was in Manitoba, Canada, I fell in love with him on LB Saleboard. The lady that owned him was totally upfront, helped me find transportation, got all his paperwork in order, sent videos. I met the hauler in Toronto and the rest is history! He's the guy in my avatar!

We have bought many of our horses from pictures and talking to the sellers, I've been sure to feel I trust the seller. and if it makes you feel better you can do a vet check at your expense at the sellers. We have always been happy with our purchases from out of state. Just take you time and feel comfortable with your seller. You should be able to find a lot of reasonable miniatures right now.

Lots of people buy and sell via the internet now, just do your homework and check out the horse & seller as best you can. There is a risk involved but you can minimize that by asking lots of questions, having a vet check or at least getting permission to call their vet for a reference.

As to prices, I have to say.... I know it's not a good market but $500 for a horse someone has invested years of care in is not excessive, nor is $1000 excessive for a younger horse. I know what it costs me to raise a foal, keep up with vet expenses, farrier, etc etc and when I sell a horse for $500 I've probably lost money. Then factor in training money or at the least, the owner/breeders time spent on training & handling.. You are looking at a $300 horse you will have to pay shipping on, if you love the horse and everything works then absolutely go for it, but shipping costs may make that $500 horse look pretty good lol. Whether you pay $300 or $3000 for a horse, the real cost will be in the day to day care and feeding, fencing and so on for the years he is yours.

Jan

Nearly all of my minis have been purchased via the internet, and I have been very fortunate that all of them have lived up to my expectations. I traveled to pick up some or meet the owner, and some I have had to have transported. Plus I have sold several via the internet. Most recently, I sold five to Arizona, and the new owner's have been pleased. Like everyone else has said, just ask lots of questions and go with your 'gut feeling.'

Good luck with your purchase!
default_yes.gif

All of my horses have been from out of state. Two from Kansas fortunately my sister lived close to so she could check them out before I made the effort to come see them. Two from Florida was from the same breeder. I went with friends as part of a "shopping" trip for horses and then had one shipped back later. Later purchased from the same breeder from his sales videos and had it shipped.

Like someone said go with your gut. If you don't feel at ease with the answers you get or question the pictures that are taken and can't go see for yourself (or have someone else check it out), then back away. There are so many on the market it's not worth losing sleep or money over.

I just bought a barrel racing prospect in another state sight unseen. I had talked to her for over two months through email back and forth, and looked at her facebook (don't worry, I wasn't stalking lol she gave me her friend request ;)) To see what kind of person she was etc. she seemed very trustworthy and we talked on the phone for over an hour then bought him over the phone. We picked him up and I couldn't be happier I bought him =)

I have bought from out of state just based on pictures/info and had it work out great and have also had an experience that was not all that pleasant. However you should just go with your gut. If the price is right and you can get a good price on shipping and you like the people and the horses that you are looking at then it will probably work out ok. But if you have any "bad feelings" about the situation then you need to listen to your gut and keep looking. Good luck with your search!

Lol, I nearly forgot to mention, I purchased my gypsy vanner colt, not only out of state, but in utero, parents were sight unseen. Got my first GV in person. Decided not to take advantage of the free breeding she came with, choose to buy another instead. Had watched this breeder's site and tracked her horses for over a year. Researched and watched previous youngsters become adults and other foals become yearlings, loved the fact that the parents were taller than many GVs out there.

Reason I did not go with the free breeding or back to the first farm I purchased from......which would apply to any horse breed

1. The registration application took forever to get from the breeders, I did get it, but I was frustrated that it took a year, sire's paperwork was in need of DNA verification and review since he was an import. , Make sure a minis papers are in order if you buy a registered horse with the intent to show

2. Size, many many horses of this breed are Not only stout, but short. Many times, they are listed taller than their actual size, while that tends to be the opposite in the mini world where they are taller than listed. With the GVs, when looking for a riding horse, expecting a 14.3h drafty horse and having it only be 13.2h is very disappointing. Verify the size of the horse and get it I writing with a gaurantee, if you are purchasing an AMHA or AMHR horse, it would be disappointing to expect an AMHA mini only to find out it is 36" and outgrew its papers

3. Price, going with a small, reputable breeder not only allowed me to get a lower price, after doing research and being that I was open to a filly or colt, since a colt would be gelded anyhow, buying in-utero allowed me to purchase at an even lower cost.

You can get good quality at a fair price, but sometimes a smaller breeder may have horses that are equally as nice with a lower price tag & more hands on time spent with the horse since they have fewer horses.

Remember, spring is around the corner, foals will be coming, some of the horses that were keepers may now be for sale because a younger horse is being retained in their program. There are many out there to choose from, and there will be more coming. Take your time and research. You'll find the correct one.

I own 3 minis bought with out seeing them in person. 2 from a farm in Wisconson and 1 in lower Michigan. Bought all 3 with only 1 pic for each and tons of emails and questions. All 3 worked out perfect and are even better then I expected. Both sellers where totally nice and great to work with.

A lot of sellers are barn blind. The horse for sale may look "Perfect" in their eyes, so when you get it, and see faults or anything you may not like... remember they may have not noticed them their selves. I know I have seen some really high priced horses on the internet that say. Potential.... or .... and you could clearly see NOT! So that could happen too.,..

Latest posts

Back