Buying a mini unseen out of state?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have bought horses from in, and out of state for 20 years. Even one from Canada from Mona. I have never limited my search by where the horse of my dreams is.

With rare exceptions, the horses exceeded my expectations. And I have met, and kept some amazing friends through those purchases.

Shipping will be the same if you buy a rescue or a high quality horse. Either has value in their own right.

By buying a variety of horses from everywhere I have been able to acquire a genetically diverse herd of quality, colorful horses.

Though it would be terrific to be able to see every potential horse purchase in person, that is certainly NOT possible for me, or most people I suspect.

I have to depend on asking the right questions, getting the right photos, videos if possible, and interactions with the current owner.

I am blessed to have some amazing, loving, beautiful horses to wake up to every morning. I go to bed every night anxiously awaiting waking up to my herd.

It has been worth the risk for the rewards received.

We just bought a filly from indiana Friday and have bought numerous ones from out of state and never had a problem. LOL

As far as sales tatics are concerned, I agree with Rabbitfizz sounds like a ploy from someone playing on your emotions with that "its going to slaughter deal!

Pricing on miniatures is a very subjective thing in most cases, the market has been down for a while and it was indeed depressed for at least the last 3 - 5 years. But the market is beginning to come back pretty durn strong now days!

Show horses of course are going to bring more than pet quality. I have seen prides recently ranging from 300.00 - 15,000.00 and in a lot of cases you get what you pay for. But there are still dome great deals out there to be had with a little open research.

But again the advice about going to one of the rescues to get a tried and gentle pet would be my suggestion to you also.
default_thumbup.gif

good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
We, like many others, purchased many of our horses sight unseen. The breeders were honest and we got what we paid for.

Lechischase, so sorry to hear that you lost your filly. I know you were searching for so long to find just the right one.

Almost every horse I have ever bought, I bought sight unseen (except for pics) from other states. MOST of the time it turns out well and I have been really happy with my purchases, but a few times...There were a few things if had i known about them before the purchase I would not have bought the horse...I ask lots of questions, want to see different angle pics and even videos if possible. Then, tho, there is the thing really don't know until you get the horse to your farm...It's true personality and sometimes, you just do not bond with the horse.

Deb (my partner) does not like to buy a horse without seeing it in person and feeling a "connection", but I have no problem with doing it.

I will say you always take a chance buying from an unknown person out of state, however in all the years I have been doing this, have only had problems twice. Most folks have been very honest and the horses were as they were represented- or better. I also though, do my homework and dig into their reputations, etc... I know a lot of people who have gotten rotten deals even from big well known breeders, so it's always buyer beware. I agree, go with your gut... and if it feels right, do it.

The majority of our horses we have also purchased sight-unseen (except in photos of course) from various states across the country. I always ask for current photos from all angles, and a contract. Videos are always a plus, but sometimes aren't always an option. I have never been disapointed when the horse arrives, and have been very fortunate to make some great friends along the way as well.

I did buy one mare from the LK Oktoberfest a few years ago, competely sight unseen. I spoke with Robin on the phone, told her what I was looking for and she suggested this mare to me, but since it was the day of the sale, she couldn't send me photos. I took a chance, and ended up buying her. She is one of my best mares, I was beyond thrilled when she stepped off the trailer. I wouldn't suggest buying a horse without photos, I was very lucky that it turned out so well for me.

Good luck on your search!

Most of my horses have been bought based on pictures, videos, and talking to the seller. I think a key is to know what you are looking for, deal with someone who is honest, and ask for pictures / videos from all angles. I do not think I could have found a group of horses I like as much as I like ours if I had limited myself to those I could see in person before purchase.

I have bought many minis out of state and actually bought one mini and one Gypsy Cob out of the country (UK and Sweden). I had photos and for the mini, a video. I have been pleased with all my purchases.

Just remember to ask questions!

Tammie

Latest posts

Back