Vitamin and mineral brands

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trails4jd

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been trying to balance my forage on FeedXL. Turns out the locally made supp which is high in Se (we are in a deficient area) was low in lots of other things. I found that MPV D-Carb Balance is almost perfect at 1/2 the dose for a large horse but the RDA percentages are so high. The report says they exceed the required amount but the level is safe. I know that the efficacy of a vit/min depends on the forage but has anyone found one they like particularly?

I've been using a ration balancer lately, but my high calcium, drought affected grass and grass mix hay was nicely balanced with MVP Mega Mag. As long as the balances are good and there isn't too much of the minerals that can potentially be toxic, such as Se, then I don't worry too much about excesses.
I've also used MVP Mega Cell, and when my budget is tight MannaPro ShoGlo.
I haven't had time to test this year's hay to see what would be best suited to balance it.

Vermont Blend and CA Trace are two good options. I've been using CA Trace (chosen over VT Blend because I needed a pelleted option) for about 1.5 years since I switched my pony off a ration balancer to reduce calories. I didn't notice any changes for the worse switching from TC balancer to the CA Trace, and the calorie reduction did make a positive difference in his weight (or, well, a negative difference, since he lost weight :)).

But of course, it will depend on exactly what you need whether those are good options - they don't contain major minerals, and I also supplement Mg separately for that reason. Both companies will send samples so you can make sure your horses will eat it.

Latest posts

Back