Broodmare question

• Thread starter Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis
  • Start date
Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis

Ok I know most of my mares in fact ALL of my mares who have foaled before I can get fluid out of there teats bred or not even those who have not foaled for a couple of years or more. Now this fluid is always either clear or very thin and yellow (almost like pee is the only way I can describe it) so I am guessing this is pretty normal (for those that are neurotic enough to check mares that are not bred lol.

So have any of you ever had a mare who was not bred and has not had a foal at there side for months 8 months or so.. still have white milk ? not even like skim milk but white and like regular drinking milk-I know most would have no reason to check..

but anyone who might know ?

Yep, I have some that do keep white milk with no baby at side.....usually my older mares, but some "middle aged" ones as well.

Not sure why they do, but they do....

I did have a QH mare that did that, until I finally with-held food from her completely. Then it finally went away for good.

Now, when I wean the minis, I do the same thing here to the mares, and withhold their grain, so that they dry up all the way.

We have a Morgan pony mare. She's around 13, has never had a foal, and she has milk. I didn't even know it until my mini ( yearling at the time) was nursing from her. I thought he was just looking for something to drink, then went over and heard sucking and saw him swallowing! I then checked, and she had milk. UGH! The mini is three now, and he can finally go back out with her. So yes, they can have actual milk without even ever having a foal.

Yes.

I had a mare that was open for two years have milk for at least intervals during the second year and up until she was very heavy in foal again the third year...

Not sure why this happened. She was not in with her foal, and she certainly let none other near enough to keep her in milk.

The others had clearish, yellowy fluid.

Liz

Yup, several in fact.

It always throws me when I first start checking mares that are getting close to 300 days and I get white milk out. A couple weeks before they actually foal they turn clear and go through the normal stages of colostrum development.

Latest posts

Back