Breeding, Showing and Training Older Horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am taking in on trade a coming 19 year old stallion (birthdate is in July). He was shown when younger and shown as recently as 2011 as a 17 year old and placed well. He is very pretty and doesn't act like an old horse. Would I be crazy to show him at 19 or even older? He also has a beautiful trot, could I train him to drive at this age? What are everyones experiences with training and showing older horses? Also, how old have you bred your stallions before retiring them or them not being able to settle a mare?

I (and our 4-Hers) are training a couple of retired broodmares right now, and the oldest is 13. After getting through the initial "you want me to DO something, not just sit around and eat?", they are both coming along great. They are both learning to jump and do trail and one is ready to be hooked to the cart. Both were shown when younger. It certainly depends on the classes and level of showing you plan to do, and of course the horse. I would not expect the mare who has had 9 pregnancies to be competitive in halter, but I think she might do very well in driving as many of her offspring have done.

I'm in the process of training a 13 year old gelding, and yeah once you get past that " are you kidding me? I have to do what?" stage of training, they really start to improve!

I trained my mare to drive at 18 years old. She had been handled a lot and had ground skills-showmanship, halter obstacle and hunter. I did a lot of ground work, ground drove around obstacles and out on the trail. No problems hooking up and she became a safe driving horse, though never very refined. Actually called her former owner to confirm that she had never trained the mare to drive. First driving class at a point show at 19 years old! Finally retired her at 23 years old, when she started showing she didn't want to work anymore. Still teaching some youngsters tricks in the turn-out at 28 years old, but with a little arthritis now.

A lot depends on the horse and how well they react to change/training. I've got a 10 year old gelding in training to drive now, just in beginning stages. Mature horses may take a few more repetitions to learn things but have that "been there, seen that" attitude that can be sooo nice.

Best of luck and yes, you can teach old horses new tricks!

Depends on the horse, and the person!
I got my guy as a 7 yr old stud. To say he was halter broke was giving him an awful lot of credit. He was only ever handled by an 8 year old, who he was extremely talented at scaring, getting out of work, etc. A TON of horse people said to either A) geld him, throw him out in the field as a companion, cause he'll "NEVER learn" or B) Throw him out in a field, and pump babies out of him, and try with the babies (he's a stunner with epic lines, just got handed a crap situation for awhile) because they woul dhave more potential than he ever would.

I have a big mare who's 21 and looks 13, my cousin still rides her in 4H, etc. Nothing better in my book than the old reliable horse!

"Old" dogs CAN Learn new tricks! Less than a year later, he is a doll, and showmanship machine! It might take more time to teach your boy to drive, but DO NOT let anybody tell you it can't be done.

Latest posts

Back