Bred mare off her grain

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope she's turning the corner now. Such a stressful, scary experience.

Sending more prayers.

I'll watch for an update.

Glad she is doing better! How scary. I hope she and foal continue to improve!

[SIZE=12pt]Hoping for a good update today! I would imagine a visit from family would help her. I sure wish she would eat some grain - poor little girl.[/SIZE]

Barbie

Gary and his parents are up in Gainesville at the UF Large Animal Hospital today visiting Tinkerbell. He says that she was a little more peppy than when she went on Tuesday but is still obviously ill. One of the vets told him that they did not think she would make it when they initially got her lab results. Her trigliceride numbers are staying down in the high normal range but another liver function number (sorry Gary didn't tell me exactly what) indicates that her liver is still not functioning properly. She still will not eat anything except for nibbling a little orchard grass and eating grass outside. She refused several types of feed as well as several types of hay. She did eat a couple of her favorite treats. Tomorrow the plan is to reduce her nutritional IV to 1/2 in hopes she will develop a little hunger and eat. As of today they anticipate her staying at UF another 3 to 5 days. They are not concerned about the baby and do not have any plans to do a C-section or induce labor.

I am off of work next week so I asked if she could be brought home and just kept on IV's here or given nutrition via syringe (like wormer). They said she is still too sick. Please keep praying.

Ruth,

Our prayers are lifted! {{{HUGS}}}

In His Hands,

Tanya & Lee

I was so praying for a better update!! With Frans mare they had to hand walk her on grass every 4 hours. It was the only thing that got that mare to turn around. Actually the vets were just amazed at what a difference it made. I cannot find the name of that vet but if you try calling Illinois State University ask for the large animal clinic. Then ask for the Aussie vet. They will know who you are talking about. He was one of the most well versed vets on minis I have ever spoken with and he had done numerous studies on their health problems

Sending more prayers!

St. Anthony lover of all Gods creatures please touch Tinkerbell with your loving hand. Say a prayer for her that she will start eating her grain and hay. Raise your voice to Jesus that this little mare will be healed today in the name of the Lord. Thank you for answering this prayer.

Mary

Boy, this sure turned out to be serious--I never would have imagined from your orginal post. It's been a learning lesson for me. I appreciate your updates and I'll continue praying for Tinkerbell and her foal.

I sure wish it had been as simple as I first thought and a foal announcment was coming.
default_sad.png

Thanks for the lesson.

We have a little more good news.
default_biggrin.png
Tinker has finally started to eat a little alfalfa. Up until this point she would only eat cow quality coastal hay and outside grass at UF. Her triglycerides are still down. The other liver number that is still elevated is her bile acids. They are going to wait until tomorrow to take blood again, hoping that her increased food intake will help her liver heal a little more. They oiled her yesterday since she had only had one bowel movement since she arrived. She responded appropriately. As far as the baby , everything still looks good. The vet said Tinker may just be waiting until she feels up to taking care of the little stinker before she lets her/him enter the world. They still will not say that she will be OK but they do say that they are encouraged.

Gary and I want you all to know how grateful we are for your well wishes and prayers.
default_cheekkiss.gif
Please keep them coming.

[SIZE=12pt]Thank God for encouraging news - I pray it continues. Come on Tinkerbell - you need to eat for yourself and that little one.[/SIZE]

Barbie

I just caught up on your thread.....what a surprise! Glad to hear she is responding somewhat, and surely hope for a good outcome for her and her foal. I can't help you in terms of experience with this particular problem, but I did have a foal at home a few years ago that required an IV for a couple of days. It was not really a problem, he was cooperative for the most part and I just parked a chair next to him and sat for as long as it took to run the fluids.

Good luck with her.

Jan

Gary and I went to see Tinker at UF today. She acted very depressed until we took her outside. She ate alfalfa and coastal hay all night per the vets. She ate grass for over an hour outside with us. The shaved her sides and did an ultrasound while we were there. Her liver is enlarged (rounded instead of diamond shaped). Her triglycerides are still down but her bile acids and AST are elevated. If the most recent lab results come back tomorrow with these levels still up they may do a liver biopsy. It is a chicken or the egg scenario right now and they want to make sure there isn't an underlying liver disease or permanent liver damage. She ran a fever and her heart beat was elevated last night for a short while. It was normal this AM but they are placing her on antibiotics just in case.

They think the fever and heartrate increase may have been a sign she is heading into labor. Repro is seeing a loosening of her vulva and thinks she is closer. Her pasturemate who was bred at the same time is rolling, loose in the back, and her milk is sticky. She does not appreciate me trying to milk her for a Ph test. We are hopeful that Tinker will have her baby at UF surrounded with all the help she could get and Sally will have hers here while I'm on Spring Break this week.

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts and prayers. Please keep them coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]Prayers continuing to come your way. Hopefully one day soon you will tell us that Tinkerbell has delivered a healthy baby and is coming home. I'm like you - I hope she delivers up there. Good luck and God bless.[/SIZE]

Barbie

I also just got caught up with your thread. I had a mare do the same thing. The only difference was my mare had severe loose stools with hers. She was actually dripping milk, very depressed, lethargic and not eating. I told my vets what I thought was wrong with her. They had never heard of it before but drew blood for it anyways. Well it came back positive. They then did some research and found how to treat it. After having her for a week and taking her out to eat grass they said she was well enough to come home. She came home and foaled that night. Did not have any colostrum and her and the baby then went to the University (of Michigan) because neither of them where doing very good. They stayed there for 5 days and both pulled through just fine.

My advise is don't be to quick to bring her home. The vet hospital is the best place she can be for this very touch problem. If she foals there the vets can do an IgG on the foal and keep a up with the blood work on your mare. It took my mare about 2-3 weeks to start feeling better and come out of the depression.

The best thing for the mare is try to not stress her out any more than you have to, because that will set her back in her recovery. It was a stressful situation that triggered it for my mare.

Good luck and I think your mare and foal are in good hands. I pray for a speedy recovery for your mare.

On the more grim note she had just eaten about 1/2 cup of equine senior today when she suffered a full grand mall type seizure.
Ruth, have you been feeding Purina feeds, by chance? I'm not sure if that might be any factor or not, but considering the recent posting (of "possible" Purina feeds recall) on another thread here on the forum, perhaps your vets there might consider looking into any possiblities??? I hope her feed (especially if by Purina) is NOT a factor in your mare's condition. Keeping her in our fervant prayers. {{{HUGS}}}

Last edited by a moderator:
UF called Gary this afternoon. Tinker's liver enzyme readings are slowly coming down. They have added insulin and a drug to discourage the development of fibrous tissue (Gary did not know why this drug was added). She is continuing to eat hay and grass and has begun to eat a little equine senior. No sign of labor yet.

Please keep praying.
default_pray.gif
Thank you to everyone for your kind and informative posts and PMs.

Ruth Owen

Stardust Acres

I was so worried about this being bad news that I actually found myself holding my breath. What a relief to read good news here.
default_aktion033.gif
I hope everything continues on this way and she is home safe soon. And gives you a healthy baby to play with.
default_biggrin.png

How is she doing? Any news on when she will foal? Praying for some good news.
default_yes.gif

My inlaws just left. I am taking them up to UF tomorrow. The resident vet called and said Tinker has gone bakwards a step. Her heart rate went back up last night and has stayed elevated. They have changed her antibiotic but really do not know what is going on. The repro people were going to come take a look again this afternoon. The vets definately think that giving birth would help Tinker but a premature foal would mean a whole other set of vet bills.

Please keep praying. I really hope she foals naturally ASAP.

Ruth Owen

Stardust Acres

Latest posts

Back