Bred mare off her grain

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope Tinkerbell has a better night tonight. I was thinking of her and your posts these last few days when my yearling suddenly decided she didn't want her Equine Jr. Tried adding molassas, tried Omelene 300 as well. She wanted nothing to do with it. This morning after she turned her nose up again at both those feeds, I tried the Platform Mini pellets. To my surprise, and relief, she licked the bowl clean. Keep trying different kinds with Tinker, maybe the third (or fourth) kind will be the charm for her as well!!

Gary's parents and I went to Gainesville to see Tinker today. It was hard. She looks very depressed. Her head is hung very low and she wouldn't eat any hay. She perked up a little when we took her outside but ate much less grass than she had in the past. The vet in charge of medicine spoke very frankly with us and said if she doesn't improve in the next 4-5 days that we will probably have some difficult decisions to make. Yesterday they tried to reduce her IV nutrition and she became drastically dehydrated. They gave her six liters of IV fluids to rehydrate her. They want to take her off the IV fluids now and put a gastric tube in to feed and hydrate her that way. Her liver enzymes and triglycerides are all close to normal now but her heart rate is near 100 and they do not know why. They suspect she has permanent liver damage or a liver infection now. They do not think she will survive a C-section and do not feel that inducing will work..

The only bright spot is that I checked her udder and it is full and her milk is thick and sticky enough where your fingers actually stick together. She was kicking her belly while we were outside. The repro people did a sonogram while we were there and the foal is in position (yes, not breech like Sally's foal that died on Monday) and it has a healthy heartbeat. With her last pregnancy she foaled at 2AM. I am praying for a phone call around then saying she had a healthy foal.

default_please.gif
Please keep praying, it is definately in God's hands.
default_pray.gif

Ruth & Gary,

Our prayers remain fervantly lifted up! {{{HUGS}}}

In His Hands,

Tanya & Lee

I am so sorry to hear that. Sending prayers and hugs.

I'm hoping for good news too, was SO hoping that she was on the way to recovering! If only that foal will be born and give them both a chance...
default_pray.gif

Hey everyone, we have heard things were not going well today. Gary, Ruth and the grandparents all rushed to Gainesville this am. Please keep praying, they need all the help they can get!
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

Sending more prayers!! They have had such a rough couple weeks. My heart breaks for them
default_pray.gif

Oh my... missed a few days and look what all is going on
default_no.gif
!

Add prayers from NC!

[SIZE=12pt]Sending prayers and so hoping for good news!!! Please!!!! Come on Tinkerbell!![/SIZE]

Barbie

This morning UF called and said it was time to let Tinkerbell go. We drove to Gainesville. When we arrived she had bales of hay in her stall with sheets on them to prop her head up as she could no longer hold it up herself. They said she had not eaten or passed manure all night although she did pass the mucous plug. We visited with her until they took her to surgery. In surgery they sedated her and delivered the baby, then put her down. The baby was 11 kilograms I believe. He had a strong heartbeat and they set up a stall for him. He had to be put under a heated blanket to raise his body temp. He was given colostrum, oxygen and IV antibiotics. The bloodwork on him said he had none of his Mom's infection. We visited and took a few pictures then left. About three hours later after we arrived home the doctor called and said the little guy's lungs were not absorbing enough oxygen even with the added oxygen. He said that a respirator was not hardly ever successful and we should put him down also. Gary and I drove to his parents where he had to tell them for the second time in a day that one of their horses needed to be put down (Tinker was their horse although she lived at our farm). He then called the doctor to give the official permission and to ask that they be cremated together. They did a necropsy on Tinker and there were bacterial abcesses throughout her organs and her liver was severely damaged. Gary asked if there was anything we should be concerned about with the other horses here and they said no.

We want to thank everyone for their support through this. Our horses are like our children and losing three of them (Tinker & her baby and Sally's baby) in one week is rough. We hope that the information that has been included in this post will be valuable to someone else in the future.

Oh no!!! I had so hoped that at least u would have a healthy baby out of all this. Im so very, very sorry. Rest in peace Tinkerbell and the 2 babies. At least there is a new little herd in heaven so they can all play together.

I'm so sorry you didn't have a better outcome with all of this, I know how difficult - and expensive - it has been. You gave her every chance you possibly could have, just wasn't meant to be.
default_no.gif

Jan

I am in tears for you all here...
default_sad.png

I am so sorry you lost 3 this week, how horrible...

Dont be afraid to come to the forum to cry, vent , or whatever to get thru this bad time...

Latest posts

Back