border collie

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capall beag

Reaction score
York Beach, Maine originally from Ireland!
What is the major differences between the border collie and the australian shepherd?

I am just curious?

Those that own either of these breeds or know alot about them, let me know?

Isn't there someone who is a forum member who breeds BC's?

A lot depends on breeding, but generally I believe most BCs are more intense than the average Aussie. Even though their herding styles differ, both need a job to do if they won't be trained to herd. Loaded with energy and wanting direction, BCs (and Aussies) excell in competitive dog sports including flyball and agility.

Jon Katz has written an awesome book about his experience with two Border Collies called "A Dog Year: Twelve Months, Four Dogs, and Me." His words may endear you to the breed, but he also issues a very serious note about them after the story is over.
default_yes.gif
:

I can't compare them to Aussies, but agree breeding has a lot to do with it. Our BC is from pretty much 100% farm working stock, and he herds everything. The horses, the people, the cats. My friend's dog is a full sister to ours, and if my friend poured her kibble onto the ground as opposed to a dish, the dog found every stray piece of kibble and nudged it with her nose into the pile before eating it all. Very very intense dogs. Super smart. Love ours, but wouldn't get another because we don't have a "real" job for him, so have to watch him every minute with the horses - he will nip them. Then again I've seen some very laid back border collies, quite happy to do nothing. So I'd say breeding and the individual would vary a lot.

I currently raise Miniature Aussies, and have a border collie.

I agree with Rhea, they both have the herd instict, but our Border Collie is much more intense. The Aussies tend move WITH the herd, but the Border MOVES the herd. And our Border even herds the ducks while they are in the water! She never stops. The Aussies seem content to laze around when nothing is going on, but are more than ready when you head to the barn. Our Border can be seen pacing and longing to go out even when no one is outside. It's very seldom I see the Border relaxing.

Good luck with your choice.

I am currently working on my website (kind of a mess right now), but you are welcome to go look. I should have my new litter up there this weekend as they are 3 1/2 weeks old and walking and playing now.

www.miniaussiepups.com

I own a registered male border collie named Shefdale Rusty. We got him when he was 4 months old from his breeder, we also got to name him. He is a red and white border collie. The Shefdale part of his name is his breeders farm name. You can see pictures of Rusty on my website, also there is one photo of him when a bit older with our other dog Teddy on Teddys' page.

i have owned and bred border collies for years
default_smile.png
Im pretty passionate about them even though we arent actively breeding this year.

As for the difference I think one of the biggest one is the Aussies are very much a one person dog where a BC makes a better family dog. Both are very intelligent and intense.

BC's i think have more odd quirks then an Aussie which iis part of what i love. I swear almost all bc's are obsessive compulsive LOL.

we have 3 adults in the house and people are amazed how calm they are in the house. But take them outside and they are all intensity and energy.

They absolutley must be properly trained (well that goes for any dog but especially a BC) they can really take advantage of their owners if you dont stay a step ahead.

Not every BC makes a great herding dog but if you buy from herding lines they will want to herd even if they cant do it well. they have to be taught when its appropriate and when its not.

BC's and cats are usually not a good thing. They love cats until the cat runs and then the BC goes in hunt mode. It can happen so quick that its done before you can even stop it so I always warn people about that

the common saying about an aussie is that they are a BC with an "off switch" they can be content to be couch potatoes if nothing is going on. I haven't had BC's but i've seen some that were so obessive compulsive about things they'd chase their own tail grabbing it even though it was bleeding! I'm sure a lot depends on the lines. Both can be really intense with livestock/horses . they work very differntly. BC's are a "strong eyed" breed which means they use more body language and eye and usually more distance to make the stock move (this was bred into them for working flighty sheep) where Aussies are a "loose eyed" breed which means they work in closer and use their "grip" (nipping/bite) and stronger body language to get the stock to work. They were bred to be loose eyed to work cattle, hogs and a VARIETY of livestock (which tend to be tuffer than sheep to get to move). They also need to be loose eyed to work in the corrals and chutes. They both are EXTREMELY smart and as other's have said can take advantage very easy. They BOTH need training and i've found in my experience they really need to be raised around children or they don't understand the fast movements and the high pitched voices as well....but they also are NOT going to tollerate abuse (from anyone).

ohh BTW fiona..LOL I'm breeding Rheba this coming week i think..LOL Hint Hint.. they will be full sized not mini aussies (no long have a mini bitch). She is going to be bred to my friends show line aussie so they probably wont be quite as intense with livestock. Unfortunatly i didn't have a working stud to breed to this time around but next year mookie should be ready to go to breed to any of my girls and he's "Cut'n Loose" stock dog lines on his dams side and his sire's side is mostly "Crown Pointe" stock lines so he has the working lines to back him up. If your intrested let me know! lol they should be ready to go in a few months..LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a border collie we got her frome the pound they say she was kelpie?/BC but most who see her including BC breeders say she is BC

While I would never own one again I have to say she is the smartest dog I have ever owned. I literally had her house broke in less then 12 hours and she has never had an accident. She was taught to sit in less then 20 min same with shake.

She is over all a very good dog, she is wonderful with our house cats they play and sleep togther and are very good however she feels barn cats are a toy she is not safe with them.

She has been wonderful with the puppies plays gentle even though they are 3-5 lb dogs and she is much bigger- growing up with the small dogs she is convinced she is tiny and can contort herself to fit in the smallest of spaces on the bed lol

She is great with the kids and spends most of her day laying around and sleeping but at the first hint of activity or someone wanting to play be it us , the pups or the cats she is all over it. She has her moments of wildness but over all is a very good dog just not my type they are very intense dogs.

Last edited:
Very interesting, Thank you!

In Ireland the BC is one of the msot popular breeds but are used as working dogs and those that fail at this, tend to become house pets, if they are lucky!

But I think a BC would be too intense for our family, we are kind of laid back!

I love the look of aussie's too but didn't know about the intensity.

lol this coming from the woman that has a housefull of Jack's..LOL honestly i think the ones i've been around they tend to be more hyper than my aussies (by comparison i mean). Really what i think a lot of it boils down to too is how you train and raise them ...ANY breed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I know Hillary, kind of ironic!

But my jrt's are mellow and very manageable!

We now have my fat, lovely lab and 2 jrt's. I think we need another big dog!

We are thinking of a German Shepherd but I would kind of like an aussie type?

Hillary you have met my kids
default_wink.png
: and my son in particular :lol: Temperament is key, #1.....all of my dogs are incredible with the kids!

Of course, I can justify adding any dog to the household!!

lol your jacks are probably mellow and managable because of the way you trained/keep them. Everyone says aussies are hyper..lol now you've seen me..lol i'm overweight and lazy..LOL let me just put it this way..lol i don't typically expend anymore energy than needed..lol the dogs are about the same. mine are couch potatoe's..LOL i'm sure alot of it is how i manage and keep them as well. I think the trick is going to be to find a dog (in any breed) that has the charachteristics you want.

hehe i know exactly what you mean by "i can't justify bringing another dog into the house" LOL.. i'm there with ya..lol but i told my parents they had to bring me home one from texas..LOL haven't FOUND one yet..lol but i told they to keep a space open in the car on the way home (and mini's lol)!! lol

I would not describe you as 'overweight and lazy'.......that sounds very harsh!
default_wink.png
:

But I know what you are saying by raising them up right..........now if only I can figure how to do raise the kids up right I'll be all set :lol: :lol: :lol:

Buying a puppy is hard you never know what you are getting!, temperament I mean!

Last edited by a moderator:
yep finding the right one is the trick i think! doesn't really matter the breed from what i've seen just matters what that particular dog you get does/doesnt' do! I couldn't imagine my life without them now! lol I dont' know how i lived so long without dogs! LOL i told my parents i blame it on them why i have so many now because if they had let me have a dog as a kid..lol i probably wouldn't have gone overboard (ok so maybe i still would have..LOL i don't know). the funniest part is..my mom always say's she doesn't like dogs yada yada.. she wants me to ship boinky down to them in Texas now! lol i'm like WHAT THE HECK. lol she's all bluff and talk! lol

Well here is my take on the BC vs Aussie. The BC's I have known were intense often to the point of herding ants if they didn't have a job. I chose an Aussie to work with my sheep because I knew after being around both breeds in working and in pet homes that aussies are intense but they can happily flop out. I find my aussie to be a fabulous family dog, he likes to go visiting family and friends and he likes it when we have company. He is great with kids. Of course he is a found at the pound version but the aussie breeder I had evaluate him for herding said he acted all aussie in the presence of stock
default_wink.png
:

here I just snapped this pic for you it is cartoon time
default_rolleyes.gif
: often times my son is using him as a pillow :bgrin

willy.jpg

from what i can see in that photo he looks just like an aussie i had ..i bet he probably is a purebred.

from what i can see in that photo he looks just like an aussie i had ..i bet he probably is a purebred.
He hates having his picture taken so I had to be sneaky....I think one of his many tennis balls was under the couch :bgrin he will happily lay around the house all afternoon if I am doing housework or on the computer but he does have to lay where he can see someone...just in case we might try to sneak outside without him
default_wink.png
: the breeder that gave us our initial herding evaluation and training also felt he was purebred (plenty of purebreds both aussie and BC could be found at the pound in Idaho). He was about 8 months when we got him and took to kids and cats right away.

LOl sounds aussie to me! lol.... I can't go tot he bathroom without 3 sets of eyes watching me.. mine will sleep all day but if i get up and look like i'm going out..they are RIGHT THERE..lol they all love to ride in the car too and jump at the chance if they think we are going for a ride. My newest aussie pup my future stud dog came from Idaho!

Latest posts

Back