Body clipping questions...?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently bought Oster's A-5 two speed setting clippers. I've used them twice now and am happy with how they work. It came with a #10 wide blade and I've purchased a #10 normal width blade that I hope to use tomorrow. The wide is great for the body but not so much for the face/legs.

I recently bought Oster's A-5 two speed setting clippers. I've used them twice now and am happy with how they work. It came with a #10 wide blade and I've purchased a #10 normal width blade that I hope to use tomorrow. The wide is great for the body but not so much for the face/legs.
Thank you... I have those clippers too. I have never clipped mine before, but I'm thinking about doing it this week b/c I want to show my boy in halter next weekend and he is not fully shed out. He isn't crazy wooly, but I think he'd look better clipped.

The biggest advice about clipping is to make sure the horse is CLEAN!!! Dirty horses will dull blades in a matter of passes. I tend to wash one evening, put them in a clean bedded stall overnight, and clip the next morning. That way, they don't get so annoyed being washed and then waiting to dry before having to stand still while clipping. I will give them their breakfast in a hay bag in front of them while I clip their back end, and do their face after they have had quite a bit to eat. Less fuss that way.

I use an Andis I bought last year and I LOVE it. It is so quiet. However, I tend not to clip before every show like some mini owners do. I actually prefer the "shed out" look vs. body clipped and I think they look best not "bald" like what tends to be popular nowadays. I will only use a #10 blade on the body, where others will use much closer blades. I will also clip once later in the year because we have some September shows, and some of our horses tend to start to grow winter coats in August. We do have one gray that tends to have to be clipped before almost every show all summer, because his hair is so wirey and thick, and doesn't lay down nice like a big horse.

If you are going to clip a lot of horses, I think there are other clippers out there that are more specialized for that.

The biggest advice about clipping is to make sure the horse is CLEAN!!! Dirty horses will dull blades in a matter of passes. I tend to wash one evening, put them in a clean bedded stall overnight, and clip the next morning. That way, they don't get so annoyed being washed and then waiting to dry before having to stand still while clipping. I will give them their breakfast in a hay bag in front of them while I clip their back end, and do their face after they have had quite a bit to eat. Less fuss that way.

I use an Andis I bought last year and I LOVE it. It is so quiet. However, I tend not to clip before every show like some mini owners do. I actually prefer the "shed out" look vs. body clipped and I think they look best not "bald" like what tends to be popular nowadays. I will only use a #10 blade on the body, where others will use much closer blades. I will also clip once later in the year because we have some September shows, and some of our horses tend to start to grow winter coats in August. We do have one gray that tends to have to be clipped before almost every show all summer, because his hair is so wirey and thick, and doesn't lay down nice like a big horse.

If you are going to clip a lot of horses, I think there are other clippers out there that are more specialized for that.
Thank you.

I only have one and he is a 41" shetland/mini cross (I think)

Maybe I won't worry about clipping him?? It's just an under 50" pony halter class at a local open show.

This is our first year using Double K's. We love them. We use a #10 or #15 blade.

Its our 2nd year using Double K's and we love them too ! we use #10 or #15 blade , our red based horses are clipped a couple of days before a show but our black stallion looks best if hes done a couple of weeks before show

I only have one and he is a 41" shetland/mini cross (I think)

Maybe I won't worry about clipping him?? It's just an under 50" pony halter class at a local open show.
If its a local show and he's mostly shed out, just brush the heck out of him over the next week to help the last hair come off, and then clean up his bridle path and head with the clippers (if he has them, the long "goat" hairs along the jaw line and stuff like that).

I don't think I could go back to any other clippers after having Double K's
default_smile.png
I'm the odd man out, I use a #7 on the body. I always get a better clip out of a 7 than a 10, and I refuse to go closer than a 10.

Double k, Laube cordless and just picked up the Andis (I Think) little ear clippers.

Double K's on body with 15s. Lower legs shaded in with 20 or 30. Faces use 30 and 40. Ears 40.

But for a local open show I would not clip if they had a good smooth coat, just a trim up.

Double K clippers and A5 10 blades. Love those K clippers.

FYI if you are showind shetlands, do not use a 30 or 40 on the face, you will be disqualified!

I hate to disagree, but you won't be disqualified if you use a 30 or 40 on the face of a shetland. I use 50's on their muzzle. The rule is that you cannot "razor" a shetland.

Latest posts

Back