Black Manes and Tails

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fowlersminis

Reaction score
My black mini has a very black coat, but his mane and tail turn reddish in the sun, just on the outside layer. Hair dye was mentioned in a previous post. I'm assuming HUMAN hair dye? Is one type better than another? For humans, they recommend a "dark brown" color, even for black haired people because the actual black dye can turn "purplish." Is the human dye dangerous for the horse? Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for any advice you can give to steer me in the right direction!

I'm not sure what brands you have in the States, but I use a product called Just for Men, the colour is called Natural black, and it works a treat. Doesn't look too fake, and only stays in 5 minutes, so you don't have totry and keep the horse still for half an hour
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I have the secret to dyeing horses... shhhh....

default_unsure.png
:

This is a recipe for a full sized horse to dye their entire coat - scale down to miniature as desired.

Get thee to a Walmart. Buy the $2-$3 hair dye by Revlon, ColorShine in Black (the blackest black). Buy two packs for a full sized horse. Mix both packs of dye with a half a bottle of conditioner (I usually find a big bottle of human conditioner and use that). Brush mixture onto horse. Allow to sit for 30-40 minutes (Depending on the amount of fading of original colour). Rinse thoroughly.

Voila - one back to black horse. Fun in the sun without the dun! ;)

It's a wise idea to mix up a small batch and test it on your horse before covering him in it. I've never had an issue, but just like people I'm sure there are some who are more sensitive or allergic.

An ancient secret passed down to me from a lady I know who shows Angus cattle. I recently did this on my "Big Black Horse" Eli who was basically a dun from being out, he's now black black black.
default_smile.png

And just to check-this is legal for show? Not accusing anyone of wrongdoing! :bgrin I come from rabbits, where we can't even do so much as pluck a white hair!

Yes, it is legal to use it to enhance the natural color. I use it on my black bay gelding. I usually apply it about a week to ten days before the show so that it fades just a little and looks more natural. Be careful to not get it into the eyes. If you are going to clip the horse, do the color first so you can clip off any unwanted drips.
default_wink.png
:

Just For Men, either of the blacks depending on your preference. It's great - doesn't drip, washes out in 5-10 minutes. Now...why can't they make a product for women that's so simple to use LOL.

Jan

No showing...just "showing off" at a local event.
default_smile.png
THANKS for the great ideas so far...keep 'em comin'!
default_smile.png

we also use just for men as its so fast. we used to use trash bags and cut holes in them to protect the rest of the horse but now we use an old towel. They dont slip like the trash bags do. We cut a tiny hole and pull the tail thru for the tail. We cut a slit for the mane in the middle of a towel and pull the mane thru. It usually takes 2 full boxes and one dying will last a full show season
default_smile.png

Dark N Lovely darling
default_yes.gif
: . Or any other ethnic haircoloring product. Goes on dry hair , doesn't drip and covers beautifully .... we also use this to dye our black cattle for show.

We also use Just for Men shampoo in (not the brush on stuff). For black manes, I get a very dark brown "almost black" color and it works excellent. I've tried other hair dyes and they don't work as well and they drip A LOT more than the Just for Men. Also, since men's hair and beards are a lot of times thicker/coarser than women's hair, I think the Just for Men dye is made to work best on coarser hair (like mane / tail hair is).

Anyone ever try Just For Men hair dye on themselves...women, i'm asking you lol....I tell you, I am a light brown almost blonde but if I try dying my hair brunette, within a month it's all washed back to my natural color - even level 3 permenant! My hair doesn't hold any color except RED but I don't want to be red...so now I wonder if the Just For Men would be a better choice to try on me..hmm...

I've always wondered........WHY is it "just for MEN" ??? Couldn't women us it too???

MA

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone ever try Just For Men hair dye on themselves...women, i'm asking you lol....I tell you, I am a light brown almost blonde but if I try dying my hair brunette, within a month it's all washed back to my natural color - even level 3 permenant! My hair doesn't hold any color except RED but I don't want to be red...so now I wonder if the Just For Men would be a better choice to try on me..hmm...
Go to a stylest it will hold alot longer.

I can't imagine the Just For Men would be "more permanent" than women's... I think it's called Just for Men as a marketing ploy. Men don't generally like to buy women's products, particularly sensitive products such as hair dye. Most men don't mind going grey too much, but those who do mind are probably more sensitive about it overall.

And besides, men cut their hair shorter and more often, so the product doesn't have to last THAT long?

That said, I have used whatever's cheap at WalMart, I actually like the "fake blacker-than-black" look. If you aren't sure about the fake black just use the darkest brown you can find.

I like to dye before I body clip, that way any drips will get shaved right off the coat.

andrea

Go to a stylest it will hold alot longer.
No way, i'd rather spend $130 on my horses than on my hair when I can buy it in a box for $10 :bgrin

Then I guess you dont dye your hair. Professional isnt that much more. I do it all the time. My hair holds all colors well except red. IT does what yours does, however whenI have it dont pro the color lasts 6+months.

You can also prevent mane bleaching by pulling the mane over to the opposite side of the neck, braiding it to keep it in place...come showtime, you comb it back over to the original side. (Obviously won't work on the tail, lol!)

My bay's mane only bleaches at the crest, and not very much there. I've used Just For Men, but for minimal touch-ups I've used a Sharpie marker. This works great on faded top hairs of the tail, too.

(Sharpies are up there with WD-40 and blue Dawn detergent as can't live without products...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back