Dying manes and tails

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For hair that has grown in white over scars, you can use eyeliner crayons or soft pencils in an appropriate color. (You really don't need an absolute perfect match if you feather it into the surrounding hair.

I've used a Sharpie marker to color sun-bleached strands, and they work great...just don't try it over any significant area or you'll drive yourself insane. Don't use these on the skin.

I have a buckskin pinto. No matter what I do I always get dye on her coat somewhere's. There;s an awesome product called OOOPS it takes the color right off. The trick is to use the oops sooon as possible if you notice a black mark here or there and rinse it off. I also do use the petrolum jelly on the white mane hairs and around the base of the mane. oops will take the dye off your hands as well. I gave up on using the gloves since i still ended up with dye on my hands and they were so cumbersome.

I also have tried the magic marker trick at shows and that was a fail. Maybe it was due to all the stuff i had in her mane. I found the magic marker would rub right off mostly on me. So gave up on that idea also it adds a hint of red which defeats the purpose of dying.

This is one of my show pics of Skylight's Dream Girl with the nice pretty black dye job.
default_smile.png

dreamershowface.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
We're planning on doing a show this weekend. Dapper Dan's black mane and tail look acceptable, the only sunbleached part is on the very top of the tailhead. Since we are doing performance classes, I don't think I will bother with touching it up.

There is a mousse I use for my hair that comes in colors. It might add just enough coverup on the tail. It is called Fancy Full.

Back