Scars...What to do for a show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunni1900

Reaction score
Hello again all! So I am preparing for showing my horses. Here is my question; My stallion is a DARK black bay who has no markings. BUT he has white hair on his legs where he used to have scars. My question is, what can I do about it for a show if anything? I know people dye bleached manes and tails, could I do that? Or chalk? or....?

I have attached a picture of him showing the white on his legs

P1030062.JPG

I sometimes use Cattle show products, spray on black or white. I also have good luck with makeup, waterproof mascara will cover on black horses. Spray on temporary women's hair color will work on some marks.

I'm sure you are going to hear a lot of great ideas from others here too.

Jacki Loomis

I'll let someone who is more knowledgeable speak on AMHA rules but in AMHR as long as you don't "change" the color I think touchup coloring is acceptable.

If I'm wrong someone will tell us both.

Jacki Loomis

I would do nothing. Dyes and color sprays are only allowed on manes and tails. If you are willing to chance it, try a magic marker . If you are showing in a color class, your horse should be as natural as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what the rules are but I have seen plenty of buckskins in the show ring with obviously blackened legs.

Do nothing or use spray chalk. My shetland has an old scar on his leg that I use black chalk on.

If you're talking about just a few hairs, eye shadow or eyeliner crayons and soft pencils work well. Considering the eye makeup and muzzle oil slicks people use on horses, I don't see this as altering or enhancing -- just returning the coat to what the horse was born with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back