To Blanket or Not Blanket??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first post on this forum. My wife got our first mini (first horse of any kind) a month ago. I searched out this topic to see when I need to blanket our Gracie. I'm in Southern Louisiana so i only get a few really cold snaps a season (I have seen snow 3x's in 12 years). From reading this thread, it sounds like I will have nothing to worry about here, but at what temperature would you recommend a blanket?

My first post on this forum. My wife got our first mini (first horse of any kind) a month ago. I searched out this topic to see when I need to blanket our Gracie. I'm in Southern Louisiana so i only get a few really cold snaps a season (I have seen snow 3x's in 12 years). From reading this thread, it sounds like I will have nothing to worry about here, but at what temperature would you recommend a blanket?
Never....if the horse has a good hair coat and access to shelter where it can get out of the wind and/or rain free choice. But for the most part, even when they can get out of the wind/rain, they often are happy out there. Now, if the horse has been body clipped, has been sick, etc., that is a totally different matter.

And WELCOME to the forum !!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jean. my old barn isn't attached to my small pasture so I was daily walking her back and forth. After a surprise rainfall last week and her being in the elements, I built her an 8x8 building over the weekend. She seems to like it better than the barn because she can come and go as she pleases.

Thanks Jean. my old barn isn't attached to my small pasture so I was daily walking her back and forth. After a surprise rainfall last week and her being in the elements, I built her an 8x8 building over the weekend. She seems to like it better than the barn because she can come and go as she pleases.

Latest posts

Back