Bittersweet Day Yesterday

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kootenay

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I had posted a bit ago about hauling a big horse in a slant load trailer -(thank you all for the advice). Well yesterday was the day to load her up, and I must say that it went pretty well.

We backed the trailer up to my field gate and led her up to it to get a good sniff/look. With a friend's help he coaxed her front feet in petting her/talking to her. That was working until my other helpers thought she needed a little coaxing with a butt rope. She didn't like that very much, and backed out and took off back to her stall.

After catching her again, we led her down and put some green grass in the manger, plus I led Buddy down so he could poke his head into the escape door. That worked and she walked right in. Total time 1/2 hour!
default_biggrin.png
She trailered like a pro--didn't move a muscle the short ride out to her new home.

When we arrived at the new place she didn't want to unload--she just stood there looking at us like 'what's next?'. Her new owner got into the trailer and gently unloaded her which went very smoothly. I swear this horse has trailered before
default_rolleyes.gif

She's now in a 6 acre field and she gets big horse company sometime next week. I couldn't be happier, although I can't help being a little sad as she has been my fur kid for the past two years. I can go out and check up on her progress whenever I want also.

Now that she is gone, I can focus on my minis, and hopefully get Buddy driving by the end of this summer.

:Kim

Kim I'm sure it was hard letting her go. My big guy really should go to a new home but I'm so afraid of what may happen to him once he isn't with me anymore. Just can't bring myself to list him anywhere, but if I could be sure (at least as "sure" as it's possible to be) that he was going to a great home I'd let him go. He's a beautiful guy and it's such a waste that he's been nothing but a pasture ornament for the past 3 years. I can't tell you how very disappointed I am that I haven't found anyone to ride with since I moved....and at my age I refuse to ride alone. You're extremely fortunate that she's close enough for you to check up on her....I know that's what I'd want to be able to do.
default_wink.png

I watched my last saddle horse go down my driveway in someone else's trailer last summer. It is a saddening experience but also in the end a relief. At least it was for me. It was painfully hard to make the decision to sell but when I was honest with myself I was just not spending the time with them (the big horses) and my minis were my main focus. Now that the bigs are gone I don't feel guilty all the time for not giving them the time they deserve. It was a freeing thing to accept that I preferred the minis over the saddle horses. At least you can still see him from time to time and know he is being cared for. That is a real blessing. Give yourself permission to grieve, it is the end of a relationship and that is always an emotional time. (((hugs)))

Latest posts

Back