Beware of Barrel Feed Troughs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so sorry of your loss of your precious little filly. Thank you for making us all aware of what can happen.

So very sorry for your loss. Prayers to lift your heavy heart. Don't blame yourself.

Thank you for the heads up about the feeder.

Thank you for sharing ... your tragic loss and letting others know how it happened will certainly prevent another from suffering in a similar way, that is for sure!

I'm so sorry
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, how sad- I am so sorry for you.

We use the barrel feeders, too, for our hay. Thank you for taking the time to let us all know what can happen.

Peggy

I use rubber tubs for my horses. I know people that use the plastic barrel cut in half mid ways and attach a tire to the top opening of the barrel and feed their hay in that. It is much like a bucket with a tire on it. I have not heard of cutting them long ways. But I am sorry for your loss.

THank you again for your thoughts and prayers. I was hesitant about posting it because I did not esant to fussed at for this accident but your comments have made feel a bit better.

I was gonna cut them in half like you mentioned but then thought well my goats like to feed with the horses and sometimes the minis like to play musical feed troughs so I thought why not cut them in hsalf long ways. So I did and drilled the holes and fastened them to the fence. They worked great especially when you give them a flake of hay.

What a heartbreaking accident.......please don't be hard on yourself.......It was obviously a freak accident.

Bless you for sharing.

I am very sorry for your loss of Pippa. She looks adorable.

Thank you for posting this warning as I also have several feed troughs just like this. I don't use them very often, but they are still in the lots and pastures when they are not in use. I will have to remember to turn them upside down when not in use.

default_no.gif
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss...what a horrible accident, but HOW could you have possibly known? That is why they are called accidents! Please don't be too hard on yourself...Pippa wouldn't want you to be upset and blaming yourself. She looks very sweet and beautiful and I'm sure you miss her alot, just try and think of her now running around with all the other angels...watching over us!
default_yes.gif
{{{{HUGS}}}}

Shelly

Someone I know in Kentucky just lost an adult Haflinger this way as well. The horse somehow slipped into the feed trough, this was a regular industrial trough and a full sized horse.

I am sorry to hear you lost your friend.

This is a sad sad thing to happen. Thank you so much for sharing your loss with us. I had thought about using one for my hay but now I will not do it. You may have saved other minis but at what a cost for you. I hope you can just remember the wonderful time you shared with her. She is a very pretty little one and will make a beautiful addition to heaven. FLFlyingW

That just sucks. Im so sorry! I have the same thing, its either sand colic or try to keep the feed up off the ground. You cant blame yourself, you were just trying to be safe.

Latest posts

Back