Beware of Barrel Feed Troughs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinyMiteVillage

Reaction score
Just a warning so everyone will know if you have plastic barrels cut in half long ways be careful.

On December 6, 2008 I lost my precious dwarf, Pippa. I had gotten the idea from here (it was a great idea) to make feed troughs out of plastic barrels cut in half long ways. I drilled holes in the bottom so they would not hold water, then drilled holes in the side so I could fasten them to the fence with wire ties. Well we have had a lot of rain and the ground it just saturated and it has been a muddy mess for the last month and half. My husband fed that evening and we all settled in for the night. The next morning we got up to go out and check on everyone and found Pippa in the feed trough. All we casn figure is she was eating and lost her footing due to the all the mud we have had. She was under a over hang so I did not think it was that bad but apparently it was. There was still some feed in her feed trough. I was devastated and blaming myself. I thought I was doing something good and it turned out awful. I had never had any problems with my feed troughs. But I wanted everyone to know so they could beware. I miss my baby girl very much..........
default_bye-sad.gif

NewYears2009036.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss. She looked like a real sweetie. Try not and blame yourself, I'm sure no one could have foreseen this accident.

Thanks for posting the warning, tho.

Oh geez... I am so sorry. RIP sweet Pippa. {{{{{HUGS}}}}} for you and yours..Don't beat yourself up. It's not your fault. Theresa

So sad to read about the loss of your filly..

So sorry for your loss, she looked like a little sweety, don't beat yourself up, it could have happened to any of us. <Hugs>

Yvonne

So sorry for the loss of your filly. She looks like a super sweet little girl. Thanks for posting what happened so others of us can learn. Don't beat yourself up over it.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Not your fault though, we all know horses of any size are accidents waiting to happen. They are sure capable of getting hurt in places we would never imagine.

Jan

What a horrible accident! (and it WAS an accident) I'm so sorry Susan!

No matter how hard we try, they seem to find a way to hurt themselves. It's not your fault.

Pippa looked so sweet and I'm sorry you lost her. {{{{Hugs}}}}

I'm sorry you had to go through this but the one gaurantee about horse ownership is that they will always find a way to get into trouble. No matter how safe you try to make things they will find that one way to hurt themselves. My vet and I have a standing joke that the next place I have I will have junk around the pastures, falling down barbwire fencing and many ways for them to get injured and then I won't need her services, they'll be just fine.

Thank you all for your thoughtful compliments. It is hard to go ut and see that she is no longer there. They definitely do find the darnest things to get into even when they know they are not supposed to. I just hope it doesn't happen to anyone else. Again thank you all for your thoughts. I am so grateful for this forum. I know I might not post alot but I read it everyday and I have learned so much from all of you. THank you for that.

Back