Best video?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estelle

Reaction score
Me again...Im looking for suggestion on good videos for training a mini to drive and also maybe one on how to drive? Thanks gang.

Larry Parnell has a lot of videos on driving horses. Im pretty sure ozark mountain sells them at minitack.com

A really good book is Heiki Bean and Sarah Blanchard's "Carriage Driving: A Logical Approach through Dressage Training." It's for big horses but the training is exactly the same and it covers everything from handling through picking equipment, proper fitting, how to harness, ground-driving, long-lining, first hitching, etc., all the way through upper level competition driving and handling/hitching multiples. It's a wonderful resource! I haven't watched any videos yet as I considered them too pricy.

Leia

Try the one by Doris Ganton-her basic book is named "Breaking and Training the Driving Horse", think the video is of the same name. It is a very good basic primer on training ANY horse to drive. The book Leia(hobbyhorse23)mentions is an excellent reference book, but honestly, I think you should already have something of a background in the subject to fully benefit from it, as it is pretty advanced in subject and methodology. Another excellent book on a basic level is "The Essential Guide to Carriage Driving", by Jaye-Alison Winkel and Robyn Cuffey. It is now widely available, I think.

I have not heard of or seen any video made specifically about training miniature horses that I would recommend.

My personal opinion is that, if you are asking for a video on training a miniature to drive and asking about driving lessons in the same breath, there is no suitable video out there! You aren't going to get what you need from a video or book. Lots of minis train relatively easily to drive but some don't. If you don't have any experience driving then you just plain don't have enough experience to train one to drive without a lot of risk to both horse and you. Find someone close to you that has lots of good experience and get some lessons and either help with training or someone to train your first horse for you. The blind leading the blind almost always has disastrous results. Read the thread on meeting halfway.

Latest posts

Back