Best kind of feed for minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanna Cooke

Reaction score
I would really like to know about some good,(possibly less expensive), types of feed for miniature horses.
I'll appreciate any information!

That's a bit of a loaded question, as everyone has their opinion about what is best and why.
Not sure there really is a best feed. Not all feeds fit all situations. Many minis are easy keepers not needing much more than good forage (hay and/or pasture) plus at least a vitamin mineral supplement to fill-in the gaps left by forage; no forage supplies on the nutrients to thrive, they all lack some nutrients. Some minis need a little more so a ration balancer with the forage is a good idea; and other need more than that, so a commercial feed is a good choice.
If you just bought minis or are looking to buy; if you like the way the look at the seller's farm, ask what and how much they feed, as many details as you can, so you could possibly continue with the same diet plan.

Ok thanks! Yes and I’m sorry, I should’ve been more specific. I guess what I really mean is, what’s a good kind of grain? I realize that minis can get fat pretty easily, and that some don’t even feed grain but supplement it with other things. However, I think it would be best if I had a grain on hand, and I just wanted to hear from some experienced owners that might have some tips. I am just getting into all this stuff, have done a TON of research already, but can use all the help I can get.:D

Chandab has given you good information. My minis graze in the pasture and are fed low sugar hay when in the dry lot. I supplement with Purina Enrich Plus. They also get Opti-zyme and a couple of other things for individual needs.
I don't feed any grain and I found they gained too much weight when I tried Purina's Mini Horse and pony feed.
I think figuring out the feed can be the trickiest part (at first) of caring for your minis, and most of us make changes as the seasons change and according to the amount of work they are getting.
Your research is a great place to start and as Chandab mentioned, finding out what their current diet is, is important to see what changes you might want to make, and slowly.
I weigh the hay I am feeding so I know exactly what they are getting.
All this to say...you will need to experiment as you go along.

It's all worth it! They are so much fun.

I have mini donkeys. I feed free choice hay in the winter and mabe a double hand full of 12% cheapest they have sweet feed. In the summer they are always on pasture and the sweet feed depends on the amount of “work “ they are getting.

I don't think horses can live on hay alone. In the wild, or a natural pasture, they browse on all kinds of things. I've laid on the ground by mine while they are grazing in our natural pasture, and watched them eat every kind of forb and grass. They even nip off the wild onions. They eat the bark off elm trees and the elm leaves when they can reach them. They eat mesquite pods. If they were giraffes, nothing would be safe.
If they are only getting store-bought hay, they definitely need a supplement. Since you are going to get a zillion opinions on what horses should be fed, I recommend you contact some good supplement providers (I use Dynamite, but there are lots of others, like Smarkpak) and talk to a consultant. Talk to more than one, because, of course, each will tout his own product. Most supplements are pricey, but with miniatures, the product goes a long way.

Latest posts

Back