Been a while...small update with a reproduction question :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoebeq

Reaction score
Hey guys...sorry I haven't been on in a while, it has just been pretty hectic around here.

I ended up finding a new home for Batman. He was just too hard to keep fenced, and I felt terrible keeping him in a tiny corral all of the time. Anyway, he ended up going back to the people that had him as a foal! They have a couple of little girls around and they are spoiling him rotten already!

Actually, the people that had him as a foal ALSO had Robin. They had bought her to breed and ended up having her checked because she wasn't showing heat. So, apparently they said that her ovaries were the size of raisins?? They said she doesn't ovulate. Well, I had seen no signs of heat except for ONE time last May and it wasn't much then. Well, Batman left about a month and a half ago and I have seen Robin show heat TWICE since then.

My question is...What is the normal size of a miniature mare's ovaries? Also, why is she showing heat if she doesn't ovulate?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I don't know the answers to your questions, but I'm sure it'll help to know Robin's age, so please let us know, again.

Oh, sorry! She is around 6 years old
default_smile.png

I was curious so I found this on the equine repro forum:

The responder "Jos" gives a good, quick analysis.

Equine Repro Forum "intersex mare"

Awesome
default_smile.png
Thanks! So, if I am understanding correctly, she can still show heat, but will not actually be able to be bred...good to know. Works for me
default_smile.png
I would have loved to have a baby mini, but it isn't a deal breaker.

Awesome
default_smile.png
Thanks! So, if I am understanding correctly, she can still show heat, but will not actually be able to be bred...good to know. Works for me
default_smile.png
I would have loved to have a baby mini, but it isn't a deal breaker.
You can always use your new little donkey for a mule someday or even another donkey with Brandy! *wink*

Several years ago I sold a blk&white Mini mare after vet examination&vet said she would never get pregnant due to very small ovaries.New owner had a Mini donkey and ended up with a Mini mule.Guess the vet missed on that call.

You can always use your new little donkey for a mule someday or even another donkey with Brandy! *wink*
Hehe...you laugh, but I am pretty sure Jose' will be able to reach Brandy when he is a big boy ;)

Several years ago I sold a blk&white Mini mare after vet examination&vet said she would never get pregnant due to very small ovaries.New owner had a Mini donkey and ended up with a Mini mule.Guess the vet missed on that call.
Hmmm...good to know.

[quoteActually, the people that had him as a foal ALSO had Robin. They had bought her to breed and ended up having her checked because she wasn't showing heat. So, apparently they said that her ovaries were the size of raisins?? They said she doesn't ovulate. Well, I had seen no signs of heat except for ONE time last May and it wasn't much then. Well, Batman left about a month and a half ago and I have seen Robin show heat TWICE since then.

My question is...What is the normal size of a miniature mare's ovaries? Also, why is she showing heat if she doesn't ovulate?

]

Please understand I don't know about your horse specifically, so I will give you some general information.

Ovaries and testicles both change in size due to season of year as well as age. A 300# > 3 yr old mini mare in summer should have a grape sized ovary.

Some mares do not reach sexual maturity until later in life and some never reach sexual maturity. A mare 'showing heat' should be re-examined to evaluate if sexual maturity has now been reached. There are also some medications that can be given to reduce a mare's cycling, some of these medicines can take years to 'wear off'.

Dr Taylor

PS; This post was started yesterday and completed today, I apologize if the information is now out of sync.

Please understand I don't know about your horse specifically, so I will give you some general information.

Ovaries and testicles both change in size due to season of year as well as age. A 300# > 3 yr old mini mare in summer should have a grape sized ovary.

Some mares do not reach sexual maturity until later in life and some never reach sexual maturity. A mare 'showing heat' should be re-examined to evaluate if sexual maturity has now been reached. There are also some medications that can be given to reduce a mare's cycling, some of these medicines can take years to 'wear off'.

Dr Taylor

PS; This post was started yesterday and completed today, I apologize if the information is now out of sync.
Thanks so much for the info! So, it is totally possible that she just hadn't reached sexual maturity at that point (which was apparently 2-3 years ago). Good to know. I am not dead set on breeding her, but I would like to. I may get with my vet to check her out again. Thanks again!

Thanks so much for the info! So, it is totally possible that she just hadn't reached sexual maturity at that point (which was apparently 2-3 years ago). Good to know. I am not dead set on breeding her, but I would like to. I may get with my vet to check her out again. Thanks again!
You know you could do?

Try to get a lil' Mule and send it to me!

I would give her a try again. If she is finally showing signs of heat -- you have nothing to lose by trying!

I totally agree with the information that Dr. Taylor provided, and have a friend who's mare never seemed to cycle, until she was about 6-7 (I forget), but then suddenly showed signs of heat -- and low and behold, had a baby the next spring! She's a great broodmare now, and has a baby almost every year!
I would love to...problem is that I no longer have batman
default_sad.png
He did breed her one time that I saw, but that was back in May...and I am guessing since she has come into heat since, that she didn't take. I honestly would LOVE a mini mule foal even more than a mini horse baby, lol...guess I will just have to wait till little Jose' gets old enough ;) He is only 7 months old right now, lol.

You know you could do?

Try to get a lil' Mule and send it to me!
Okay...so you really think if I get a mini mule, that I am going to send it away?? LOL...come on...who are you talking about here?? ;)

Latest posts

Back