Bad news... sort of.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RainSong

Reaction score
It doesn't -seem- like a big deal in text, here.

My mother revealed to my brother and I that she believes my step-dad will have to retire by the end of summer. Without his income, they cannot afford to keep the house. We will -all- have to move.

She didn't indicate that we (that is, Dave, Nathan, and myself) were going to have to find out own place. But at the same time, I got the feeling the only reason she didn't is because she knows we can't.

They (My brother, mother, and step-dad) have lived here for 10 year now. Our entire family are pack rats and book lovers (well, not my step-dad on the last... he's a tool lover instead
default_smile.png
). There is -a lot- of stuff to pack. Dave and I could most likely be packed in a day- two at most- as we've never fully unpacked. It's everyone else's stuff that's going to make this hard.

Honestly, I moved out in '01. I moved three times before we moved to Ohio in '03. We lived in OH for 3 years and lived four difference places- and now, we're back here. That's 8 moves since '01. We moved approx. every 10 years (or less) as children, too. Honestly, I want something more permanent- maybe not totally, but I'd at least like to be able to unpack some- have a room I don't share with Nathan- maybe even have my own space and all. I'm actually really blasted tired of everything being someone else's- the chairs, the decor, even the kitchen. It's felt more like I'm "visiting" then living here for a long LONG time.

And the sad part is, it won't change. Dave is looking for a different job- he's tired of seeing Nathan grow up without him. But most local driving work requires a year of experience- he's still got something like three months or so before he gets a year. He hates the company he's working with- that's a whole 'nother story entirely. He's been looking the last few times he's been home, but nothing has come of it.

I keep finding more things I end up going "And what happens to _________ when we move?" Like the cats and dogs... my mom's 29g fish tank... all the familiar things. Even the cars that have been in the backyard for ages (My step-dad's projects). How about the fish in the pond? The roses and trees we planted over lost pets- Spooky, Asher, Little One, BB Lovey - my sweet bunny...?

To tell the truth, I love this house despite it's problems and the bad vibes that have been here for most of a year. Even if the view from the window makes me realize how far from "horse" I am (and will be for as long as I can see). Yea, the backyard is a bit of a mess, and the mud is hellish for staining everything (blasted red clay O.O)...

I was planning a garden- corn, pumpkins, watermelons, beans, etc. I'd just trimmed down the roses and the tree out front. We'd just bought strawberry starts and pots to put them in!

No garden. No caring for the roses and remembering the cats. No enjoying the Japanese weeping birch I -insisted- upon having and love dearly. No more wandering down the hill and back up again with Nathan, or watching all the flowers starting to come up in the yard. No more grumbling and fighting with the lawn mower, or having to try to figure out how the heck the dumb dog is managing to get out THIS time. No more mock fighting over Dave parking in my brother's spot, or chasing down yellow jackets that decide to come "say hello"
default_new_shocked.gif
. No more holidays cramming 10 (sometimes more) people into the house.

I dunno. I always knew I'd leave, but I always knew- until now- that I could come back.

Though leaving the familiar is always scary sometimes in fact often when it seems a door is closing there is a reason behind it and another opens. You will still have family holidays IF you want them. If you think this is hard for you what about your mom and step father it must be even more difficult for them. As we get older circumstances sometimes guide our decisions and you will find this is the perfect time for you to help them anyway you can. It will be home wherever you and Nathan and Dave end up if YOU make it a home. This is the perfect opportunity to help your family to say thank you for all the help they have given you.

I don't envy having to pack up and move. I hate boxes all over the place! They wrecked the home I grew up in. They painted it some horrid red color and killed the hedges around it and let it all go to crap. That hurt. Then in Florida same thing. They painted our house some sickening pink and didn't take care of all our fruit trees and let our landscaping go to heck too. Sad sad sad. But life must go on they say and it's water under the bridge so I just remember what it all looked like from old photos. Take a lot of pictures before you leave.

I hope you and your husband and Nathan will find your way to make your own life now in your own home. The good side of moving is getting to "nest" in your very own place and not have to be dependant on anyone and then you can plant all your gardens once again. You guys can find work. It's out there. You just have to move where work is abundant and you'll be ok and happy.
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back