back country mini horse driving?!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shari

Reaction score
was surffing around.....ok,,well,, drooling at mini horses for sale and came across a well known farm that is getting into...

"Back country mini horse driving". Sure sounds appealing to me and sure it would be for others.

http://www.hellscanyonranch.com/backcntry.htm

Oh..and Susanne....they have a very nice little cart for sale for a very good price!!! Go check it out!!

I wonder if you could do that with a dog? I really want to get a bit of a modified version of the HyperBike (aptly named, eh?) for Tasha in hopes of getting her to stop doing flying trots all over the place.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

That would be interesting. I really want to do more with the minis then just showing. Would love to get into some CDE events or harness racing but nothing like that near MO unless I'm wrong?

I wouldn't say what we do is any endurance driving but the farthest we have taken are miniatures out driving is more then 5 miles, they did wonderfully out in the country roads. We got out early in the morning to avoid the heat of the day, not in winter though lol.

I did a pack trip on the Oregon side of heck's Canyon......it was awesome, but I sure didn't see many trails suitable for driving! There were some open areas that you could drive in I guess.
default_unsure.png
:

Koko.. Graham carriage works makes a real dog cart! Really nice looking one too.

Think the John Wayne trail with most of it... is Cart and carriage friendly. Have heard of a few others too.

What we do not have here but had in NE..is they were taking up the tracks of the old railroad beds..packed it smooth with dirt....wonderful places to drive without worry of cars.

I have also heard from a few sources now...there are areas around here for back country cart driving.

Hope to be able to check it out in person this summer.

Might take a bit of looking and asking but I bet there are such trails in many areas.

Shari,

We DO have those here...the Banks/Vernonia Linear Park is the former Crown Zellerbach railroad turned into a 24 mile trail for bikes, hikers and horses through beautiful forests, along creeks, under ancient train trestles, and past picturesque farms. The new leg, from Scappoose to Vernonia (runs parallel to Scappoose Vernonia Hwy, near us),, is only complete in small sections, but is already good for driving and riding horses

Then there's the Springwater that cuts through southeast Portland alongside Johnson Creek...a beautiful, wide, paved trail that is also a popular nature walk. This trail does have several major road crossings, but those places have traffic lights, so it is safe.

That is great!! Can't wait to explore this summer.

Think Trojan would be a good place too....is nice and flat....is paved but if we took it easy.. think it would be a lot of fun.

Latest posts

Back