Baby Sound monitors ???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gracie

Reaction score
Has anyone with a mare due to foal these? Our barn is way to far from the house for the web cam to pick up , so wondered if these things travel very far,Then I can maybe hear her . Anyone try this> and how did it work out?

I use a baby monitor with a halter buzzer. Because of the two barns I have to "piggyback" the monitors. I will say though get a GOOD monitor. I had bought a good one originally and had a hard time finding one to match so I bought a cheaper model. Hooked it up left the barn and went in the house and next thing I know my husband is "OMG there is a baby in the barn" [meaning human baby]. It picked up my neighbors grandchild on the cheap monitor! Startled the heck out of my husband! Went out and found a similar monitor to the first one that has a lot of channels on it. It has worked really well for me. Linda

i've used them for a few years. Honestly i much prefer a video monitor to be able to watch and hear because ou "hear things" and dont' know what they are ect... they are better than nothing but still i'd rather have a video monitor. I actually used my video in conjunction with my baby monitor last year (first year with a video) and it had better sound than the monitor did it was very handy.

I wouldn't want to rely on just sound to tell me when a mare is foaling. Mares can foal with very little noise. How far is your barn from your house? I just bought a wireless camera with it's own monitor for a reasonable price and it is working quite well. I also have a wired camera system that works great!

I use a baby monitor along with the cam (sound over the cam sucks as the cam hums, so I turn it off and use the baby monitor with just the cam pic) and it works great..

We used a baby monitor once long ago when we were wating for our equipment (cameras etc) to arrive and it worked well...better than nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a baby video monitor when we foaled out our last foal a few years ago. I got it as a baby shower gift and it worked great with my son... so thought hmmm.. maybe I could use it for the foaling. I sat the video monitor right next to my bed and it worked great. It's not a real clear picture since my barn is pretty far away, but I knew when it was time to head to the barn. You could see the mare and then later you can see the foal moving around at first he almost looked like a little ghost. Sounds is really good on it. I got lots of great uses out of that camera.
default_smile.png
The best part it was free.
default_smile.png

As for baby sound monitors... I use mine now when I have to run outside to the barn when my baby is napping.... I have been through so many sets trying to find the best and right now we are using a fisher price with a long antena on both the base and the monitor. It has been by far the best that we have found for the distance. I can get all the way to my furthest paddock with a little bit of static.

its a LONGGGGGGGGGG way. lol My husband is in the business of video stuff, he travels the world filming and he flat out said Aint NO WAY your gonna pic up any thing lol

Sooo I was hopeing a sound device might be better, ok well I guess I keep doing the every hour round the clock but she better pop soon, I cant do this much longer.

how far is a LOOONG ways? our barn is 150 feet away and the baby monitor picks things up pretty well. I haven't tried the video monitor in the barn. I just keep my mare in the woodshed connected to the house so it's close.

i use a baby monitor for the last 4 years. My barn is around 400 to 500 feet away from my house. plus to make things a pain is that the house on 1 side of the road & the barn on the other side of the road.

Yes, we tried a Fisher Price Baby monitor in the barn many years ago. The sound was excellent, I discovered how noisy my horses were, you can hear them eating hay and passing gas, but they don't necessarily make a sound when they are foaling.

The biggest problem we had with the sound monitor, if it rained on our metal barn roof, all we could hear was the rain hitting the roof, and could not hear the horses at all.

So we eventually went to a camera system with sound. Still hear the rain, but at least can watch them too.

Good luck.

Wendy

I suggest getting 1 of the halter buzzers that are advertised on here for about $50.You can use it with a good baby monitor.Checking every hour may not work for a Mini.They can pop them out really fast.Good luck and keep us posted.

Obviously, a camera is ideal, but if you don't or can't have one, I totally agree with Linda and others that a baby monitor used with a foal buzzer on the halter is the way to go. We use all three together and that has worked well for us. I like the sound from the baby monitor better than the sound from the camera itself.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back