At Some Point, Don't You Have a Responsibility to the Horse?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

default_nono.gif
Or at least to find it a loving home and not try to sell it for a buck??!! I'm so sick and tired of seeing sale ads for 20+ year old horses that are no longer able to make money for their owners. It turns my stomach!
default_smileypuke.gif
Oh, he only sired 30 babies for you and you sold every one of them, but now that he's old and no longer able to get mares in foal he needs to find a new home?! what? So, that 20 year old mare has only had 10 foals and now she has the audacity to be past her breeding prime! Now all she's going to do is eat your hay and poop in your barn! Well obviously she needs to go!! Hey, but maybe as her new owner she'll somehow have a foal or two for you! The vet says there's no obvious reason why she hasn't gotten in foal for the past 3 years!
default_wink.png

There should be a rule. If you're too poor, heartless, or just too stupid to know that you owe something to that horse who has given you so much, then you shouldn't be allowed to own horses in the first place!
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif

OK, I'm done!

Didnt you know that if they dont make you money or cant make babies your suppose to unload them on some unsuspecting person?

I'm with you! Where the heck is loyalty? I've got a 21 year old mare, bought her in foal, she aborted. She can never have foals. I bought her 7 years ago, she is still here and she will remain here till she dies. She eats, poops and does nothing except cruise the pasture. I feel I owe her. She tried for me and that was good enough!
default_yes.gif

You've got to love those Equine senior citizens. My dream would be and I have given this plenty of thought.... If I am fully able, when hubby and I relocate, I would love to set up a homestead where I'll be able to retire senior citizen horses. They have always had a special place in my heart. Bless their hearts.

OHHHH DONT EVEN GET ME GOING ON THIS ONE :arg!
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
Another good one is when you know the breeder has had foal after foal, from every mare she owns, .has mare is in her mid 20's, she is advertised for sale to a home where she will no longer be used for breeding..isn't sold..and then the following year, because the "breeder" didn't sell her she was bred to have that extra foal, lord forbid..if they had to feed a mare for a year without it making that extras $, and you see the FOAL advertised for sale, but yet..they claim they love there horses and take such good care of them, but do the absolute minimum for the horses upkeep, or sell a horse to someone because the teeth problems are going to cost more then the poor horse is now worth. Ohhh, I told you not to get me going.

This is probably one of my biggest pet peeves!!
default_no.gif
I was at an auction once and this big ole guy is trying to sell this little mare and he says "she's still young, she's a baby makin machine." Just made me sick! OK, if you want to raise babies, at least be thoughtful enough to TAKE CARE of the mares/stallions who have worked for you, just to yank the baby away and breed for another next year!! Then, as has been said, you try to sell them because they can't 'produce' for you anymore!! I've always said if I ever won the lottery, I would take in all the old horses no one else wanted!!

I have an old, blind mare. Would I breed her...NO, is she a problem...yes, would I sell her....NO. She did have a lovely daughter for me several years ago, then I quit breeding, but she was already going blind, so here she stays!!

Pam

default_aktion033.gif

You guys are awesome! I posted this thinking I might very well get bashed for it. I'm SO glad to see there are others that agree with me that these "equine seniors" aren't trash to be passed along once they aren't a money-maker!!

I have several 15+ year old mares and EVERY ONE OF THEM will be here until they die! Some are still having babies, others are not. So?

There is a stallion out there that wasn't advertised for sale, but I really like him. He's a half-brother to my favorite broodmare and their sire passed away last year so there won't be any more of them. I contacted his current owner and asked if she'd consider selling him. She was surprised to say the least! She hemmed and hawed for a while and said she'd stopped breeding so he was just hanging out with her geldings. I said I'd offer him a forever home (he's 15 years old) and that I'd treat him very well and could provide references. She said she'd think about it. She called me back a couple of days later and said she just couldn't do it. She'd had him for years and always expected him to spend the rest of his life at her place. She turned down a LOT of money from me because she felt an obligation to the horse. THAT is my kind of breeder/horse owner!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Some of the seniors are truly special horses. I have a 30 year old QH mare who was worth her weight in gold as a youth horse, and has a home for life. I have a few older mares I would sell for pets - nothing wrong with that in my book as long as they have a good home, but they aren't being dumped and they don't have to be sold. I agree with your feelings, these guys give so much to us - it's a shame to see them just thrown away when they no longer serve a purpose. I had a trainer once who maintained that we owe them nothing. If you are done with a horse, dump it. I always had a problem with him. :DOH!

Jan

One of my pet peeves to - my girls are the heart and soul of my program. But I often get calls from people who want one of my "old retired broodmares, ya know, the one that is too old to make babies - I need a companion for my other horse and I don't want to spend a lot of money and I want a mini 'cause they are less expensive to feed than a pony or a big horse" -- needlesstosay, I hang up on them! :DOH!

Way to go Parm cause this one makes me want to open up a can of whoop butt on a lot of people out there.

I have a mare that cannot be bred and will not get pregnant no matter what and she is no where near old. But who's going to buy her? Nobody because she can't have a baby. So that makes her good for nothing in the eyes of most. So she will just stay here because it's obvious she looks great in scrunchies.

But for these senior mare, that old age, these poor old mares have to be uprooted, upset, relocated because you wore them out......they are homeless and don't have a place to call home anymore because YOU used them like a dad gum machine and they can't give you anything anymore. Just dump them out now and don't look back.

And they don't even want to give them away to a good home, or bother place them properly.......NOoooooooo they still want money for them! As if they didn't make enough money off of their babies all these years. Cheapsake mini mill bottom feeders! That's right, hold your hands out for more money....sell your problems to someone else; wow, you are good.

And how about the ones that are .......oppps, foundered? Need all kinds of meds? Has a "what" wrong with her ???? Yup, push your problems on someone else and have the nerve to charge them for it. Priceless!

Oh heck yea, just lay it on me for a few hundred bucks and I'll be so happy to spend a fortune on money YOU should be buying for YOUR horse that SERVED YOUR purpose all these years. You can't spend ten or twenty bucks a month on a supplement now? Sure, send her on over because we don't mind taking over YOUR responsibility.

Hey man, you don't want your old mare anymore? Well donate her to the resuces or give her away so she can live her life out in dignity away from your sorry butt, but for petes sakes don't have the balls to charge for her!

Well, on the plus side if they're being sold or given away maybe they'll find a home with someone who actually CARES about them! To knowingly take on an older, no-longer-producing mare that person must surely care more about the horse herself than her original owner did, since obviously she's worthless to them now. :DOH!

I have never understood the mindset where the value of a horse is in the other horses she can produce. I know my value sure as heck isn't in the babies I can pop out, thank you very much! Just because I'm female doesn't mean I shouldn't be taken for valuable in my own right. I'll give my horses at least as much respect as I ask for. (Logically, if every horse is only as important as the foals it can produce, doesn't that mean no horse is ever important in themselves?? You have a baby but the baby's only value is in it's future babies, and so on down the line?
default_wacko.png
)

I'm the proud owner of a so-called "useless," beet pulp eating, stall dirtying, chronically itchy, highly medicated 31 year old Arab who eats me out of house and home. Because of his bills I still live with my parents but I don't even get to ride him more than a couple times a year or do anything with him. As long as I own him I can't afford a cheaper, funner young horse. Will I sell him? NEVER!! I owe that horse for the 15 years of self-sacrifice and good service he gave me and the way he took care of me as a child through things that made him personally miserable. That is my responsibility. I couldn't live with myself if I betrayed him at this late date.

Mom's "Bo" was here from the age of 5 until he died just shy of his 31st birthday. He was "useless" for many of those last few years but we wouldn't have traded him for anything. That horse was a blessing. I can only hope Kody will be here for the next thirty years; Lord knows he isn't going anywhere without me.
default_new_shocked.gif
default_wub.png
When you buy a horse you make a promise to give them the best life you can. Now if that's not with you then fine, you pass them on to somewhere they're wanted and will be happy. But if the only alternative is somewhere worse than your place then you keep them, no questions asked. Maybe these people could try getting more out of their horses than just babies. Like...friendship?

Leia

I also do not understand those people.

In some cases, I do think finding an older former broodmare a new home (if there's a home out there wanting to just dote on her) is not a bad idea. I know at one of my friend's places, there was one 20+ mare and I think it upset her to see the other mares w/ foals and her not have her own?

For me personally, I think one of my largest obstacles going forward is limited space (and time) and the deep attachment I have to all my horses and as an aspiring breeding, that my favorites really are my geldings...... But, I cannot help it.

Besides, there are way easier ways to make a buck than to raise horses. I'm doing what I do for other reasons (but I have a career for financial ones!). So, since it is really not about the money, the heart does get a vote at my place and I've got a good number of geldings (8 counting one who's soon to be). Doubtful they will earn their keep in terms of dollars and cents but I think YOU ALL understand
default_biggrin.png

I've seen this happen again and again. I was at a mini auction last year and a very well known breeder had an open mare in the auction. She was telling about the mare and said the mare had been running with a young stallion and she didn't get bred. She said "if they don't give me a foal I can sell, they take the place of that foal and sell".

This was a mare of her own breeding that she had owned for over 10 years.

I can't be a breeder, when an animal comes into our family, they do just that, they become part of our family. Selling them would be like selling one of the kids. That is why we don't add a whole bunch of horses or breed because we can't afford to give them the care that we do if we have too many and we can't stand to let any of them go.

I see many times where old mares and stallions that are past their prime sell for pennies just because they aren't producing any more. It also bothers me to see 2 year old mares go through the sale ring that are pregnant with their first foals just because they will bring more money if they are bred.

People who don't take into consideration that these are living, breathing, thinking animals with feelings too just really bother me.

Kudos to everyone that does actually care about the animal and wants them to have a happy retirement, they will be many times blessed by the wonderful animals these older horses are and the things they can teach us if we will only listen to them.

Mary

Parmela that's EXACTLY why I felt so bad about not being able to keep Wiz. I promised that old guy a forever home.
default_sad.png
Thank you so much for giving him what I found I was unable to give. I have young horses here but if I were just starting with minis (if I'd known then what I know now) I would definitely be getting the oldsters.

When you have a moment I would love to hear how Wiz is doing.

Marty, we could REALLY whoop some butt on this one hey?? I am proud to say, that almost every horse I bought..was not bought with the intention of using it as a money making baby machine. My mares are lucky to have one or two foals for me in there lifetime, and they will always have a permanent home here. but every mare came from a home like this. Yes, it has been said to me I paid too much for some of them, but my main concern was getting the mare to my house so she could find out there is a lot more to life then just reproducing. To me, the breeders who breed like this should be considered nothing more then a mini mill
default_no.gif
and there are just too darn many of them around. Unfortunately, if you purchase over the internet, 99.9% of the time all you are seeing is pictures, and you dont know the true "facts"of that farm, or the farm looks like it is a nice place and the horses are well taken care of, ...until, you see it in person :DOH! manure everywhere, fences half down, ohhh, I could go on.
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
I am sure a lot of you have been to farms like this or know of them. Did you ever notice, how some mini breeders will quick jump out of the horses when the prices go down, and buy whatever seems to be selling at that time, then you look at there website or visit the farm..and of course, every animals they own that can be breed is once again..and the cycle starts all over but with different breeds of animals? I am not referring to the breeders who truly do take care of there animals and pride shows in the way they do, that is different, when a mare is ready to retire, they do so, and at a respectable age, plus a lot of times they keep the mares. They deserve a pat on the back..those are the respectable breeders!

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL! My friends ask me if I am opening up an" old horse retirement home" here. I love the old gals.
default_wub.png
I may end up having to sell some one day (you never know what the future will bring) but I find my old gals to be some of my best friends. They don't get too upset over just about anything....

Yes, it makes business sense to sell them once they get a certain age I guess.
default_sad.png
But does not make sense to me.
default_rolleyes.gif
default_wub.png

This is something I think about all the time. Just stating out in 05, I have mares that for one reason or another where no longer wanted. I have devoted myself to keeping them happy and healthy and in return they have gave me so much happiness. I have been keeping my fillies, each year have only had 2. Have one listed for sell now but only because I haven't removed her yet. I sell my colts to help pay for the keep of the others, in no way do I expect to make money. Of course if I did I wouldn't complain........but I don't see how that could happen because I would just reinvest it in my horses, give them better stalls and so on.

Some day the fillies will take the older mares places and I am already trying to prepare my hubby for the fact I will not be able to give them up. I know no matter how nice the new home might be, it wouldn't be home....since some had so much baggage, it would just break my heart to make them have to go somewhere strange. Some with an out going personality, I MIGHT consider giving to a good home. So, when I catch myself looking at the sale board, I try to think to myself do you want her more than that 13 year old shy, timid sweet mare that loves you unconditionally that might have to go because of needed room. The answer is NO.

My husband asked me last night what I had for sale, the hay prices are killing him. Plus, I like having alfalfa also for bedtime. I told him 2 colts, one is full size. I told him the only other one I might could part with is my appy stallion, just because he is the newest and I am not as attached. But he sure is a shy guy, so I don't know if I could. So, I guess it's not just the senior ones I hate to part with but also the ones that have personality issues. These are horses also that other people dump, because of the extra time it takes to gain their trust, I am always a softy for these horses. So rewarding to see them turn around into a happy horse, some take a long time and lots of patience, but the bond is priceless!

Ok now here's my take on the flip side of this:

If you have an older horse that can no longer serve you, I see nothing wrong in re-homeing her IF you do it properly and kindly. It's better than her remaining where she is no longer wanted and cared for.

I do not believe in tossing the old horses out in the back 40 and forget about them. I think the opposite. I feel they need to come into the barn and be treated like royalty and be fussed over like the Golden Girl she really is. I feel they served you well and it's payback time.

But if you still dont' want them, for pete's sakes, TAKE CARE in placing her properly. Don't just kick her to the curb to anyone. She's delicate and she has feelings. There ARE some awesome homes out there that just need a good companion horse with people who have the time to give your old mare a new lease on life. I see it all the time on the applications we get through Chances Miniature Horse Rescue. There ARE people out there willing to go that extra mile, just because..........

So if you want to place your older mare, ok.....but don't let her end up in some kind of feed lot. Give her a chance with a new family that can provide for her every whim and treat her like the queen she is.

ALL of our animals-dogs,cats, horses-have a home here for life. They don't get discarded. I can understand to a certain extent, a breeder reducing mouths to feed.....but DANG! At least take care of the animal....like FEED, hoof care, ect.

And, please be considerate of WHERE the animal is going........

[SIZE=12pt]Well, we certainly qualify as a old girl farm
default_smile.png
I lost Chica, my mustang mare, when I was pregnant with Zac adn away managing a show. She was 28. She had been with me since she was 7 and I was 16. We still have several old girls, but our most special (and by far oldest) girl is Fancypants, who will be 41 years young this year. Steve is SO very attached to her. [/SIZE]

She is living with the weaned kids right now, so she can stuff herself with "babyfood" and have free access to the hayfield, warm water and hay she can gum. She lost her last foal when she was 29, but had foaled reliably with happy, healthy foals to that time. We had to move her off of the farm for a few years (to our leased pasture), just to keep her from backing up to the stallions and getting herself bred!

This picture is her last fall
default_wub.png

Fancypants2.jpg

Latest posts

Back