ASPC/AMHR Member/Non-Member/Transfer Fee's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karen S

Reaction score
Good Day All,

Been following the thread about registering on application with the ASPC/AMHR and the problems folks are facing with people getting out of the Miniatures and/or Shetlands which is causing some problems with transferring horses.

I have been doing some research (I like facts) with other equine associations and their fee’s. Below are some that I have collected in the past twenty-four hours. If you belong to another association that is not listed, please email me with the information and I’ll be happy to update my post and add it to my list that I have compiled.

American Quarter Horse Association:

Membership Fee:

Regular Membership…. $40.00

Amateur Membership… $45.00

Youth Membership…… $15.00

To Transfer Horses Registration applicable fees:

Member………..$15.00

Non-Member…..$55.00

Morgan Horse Association:

General Membership Fee……$70.00

Youth Membership Fee……...$15.00

No mention of transfer fee’s

Palomino Horse Association:

Membership Fee…..$30.00

Membership Fee + 1 Horse Registered……$75.00

Additional Horses to be Registered……..$35.00

Transfer Fee……$20.00

Non-Member Transfer Fee…..$45.00

Appaloosa Horse Association:

Membership Fees:

Individual……..$55.00

Couple………. $80.00

Family……. $95.00

Youth……. $10.00 if purchased separate from family

Youth one time fee till 18 years of age…..$75.00

Transfer of Ownership (BUYER must be the member)…. $15.00 Non-Members N/A

Gypsy Vainer Horse Society:

General Membership-one vote…. $80.00

Associate Membership-non voting…. $50.00

Lifetime Membership-one vote…. $750.00

Youth Membership-non voting…$25.00

Transfer Fee…. $25-after 60 days add an additional $25 late fee

No mention of Non-Member Fee’s

American Miniature Horse Association:

US Only addressed here:

New Regular Membership Fee…..$75.00

Regular Membership Renewal Fee…. $65.00

3rd Member or Subsequent in Household (must reside at same address)…..$30.00

Associate Membership (Non-Miniature Horse Owners Only)…$65.00

Youth Membership…..$10.00

Transfer Fee within 6 months…..$15.00

Transfer Fee, after 6 months…. $25.00

No Non-Member Transfer Fee

Pinto Horse Association:

Membership....$35.00

Magazine......$25.00

Register Weanlings....$20.00 up to $65.00 for a adult horse

$50 extra for Non-Member to register

Transfer Fee for Member.....$20.00

Transfer Fee for Non-Member...$60.00

Stallion Report.....$10.00

American Paint Horse Association:

Old Fee’s till January 1, 2010:

1 Yr. Membership…. $35.00

3 Yr. Membership…$75.00

5 Yr. Membership…$125.00

Family and/or Farm Membership…$35.00 (entire family in or out of household)

Lifetime Membership…$400

Amateur Fee…$15.00

Youth Membership…$15.00

Youth Term till 19 yrs of age…$100.00, then the $100 can count towards a Senior Lifetime membership.

Transfer Fee for Members…$15.00

Transfer Fee for Non-members…. $60.00

New Fee’s starting January 1, 2010:

1 Yr. Membership…. $40.00

3 Yr. Membership…$90.00

5 Yr, Membership…$150.00

Lifetime Membership…. $500.00

Family and/or Farm Membership…$40.00 (entire family in or out of household)

Amateur Fee…. $15.00

Youth Membership…$20.00

No Increase in Youth Term

Transfer Fee for Members…$15.00

Transfer Fee for Non-members…. $60.00

In regards to the ASPC/AMHR their fees and work order form: I have been a member of this association since May 1996. I’m pretty much a pack rat when it come to documentation (blame it on my profession/job as I have to keep good records). Anyway, I have original paperwork back to when I joined the Registry. I looked over the work order form from 1996, I have one from 2001, and the new one for 2008 and forward. In the previous work order forms from 1996 to 2007 they all read the same. Cost of membership was $45 which allowed an Adult member to do registry work which included the official publication “The Journal”. Second member in household (no Journal) was $15 and a Youth membership till they were 18 were $10. We DID NOT have any Non-membership fee’s to those that didn’t want to join the Registry or do any transfer of horse’s registration papers. They had to be a member to do any and all Registry work. During that time I paid the following fees, excluding any registering of horses:

1 Adult membership for $45.00

2 Second member of household $30.00

2 Amateur cards $10.00

Studbook on line $50.00

Total………. $135.00

Then, the BOD decided to raise our membership fees for the year 2008. Again, here is what I paid in November 2007 for my 2008 dues:

1 Adult membership for $65.00

3 Second members in household $60.00

2 Amateur card $10.00

Studbook on line 50.00

Total…………$185.00

I paid the exact same membership renewal fees November 2008 for my 2009 membership. Unless the BOD decides to do something different for 2010, my dues will remain the same again.

What would “I” as a member of the ASPC/AMHR like to see in regards to membership fees and so forth? Here is what “I” think would work, bring back members who left because of high fee’s and allow those that don’t want to be members a way to do paperwork. It would be a win, win situation for all. I know the Registry must have lost close to 1000 members in the past two years. If you just use the old membership fee of $45.00 that was lost revenue of $45,000.00 right up front. Not to mention lost revenue for registrations or updating any registration papers from temporary to permanent or if a member just wanted to pay the $10 to update old type registration papers to the new ones with the pictures. The Registry can’t keep loosing this type of revenue. No businesses can and stay in business very long.

After reviewing some of the above registries and their fee schedules, these are my recommendations for new fees that I can live with and still be supportive of our Registry…again a win, win situation for all:

ASPC/AMHR Registry Schedule of Fee’s:

Membership Fee’s-Adult with 1 voting right…..$35.00 (No Journal)

Membership Fee’s-Adult with 1 voting right…$50.00 (with Journal)

Second, Third, Fourth etc. Member with 1 voting right…. $20.00

Youth Membership, 0-18 yrs of Age…..$15.00 (I do think youth needs to pay a membership to participate and apply for any and all youth awards)

Amateur Membership……..$15.00

Family and/or Farm Membership……$75.00- Entire Family in/out of household, must list each person under Farm name and each would receive (1) voting right each person must be listed, includes (1) Journal.

Example: Your Choice Farm, John Boy, Susie Q Boy, Betty Jo Boy, Bobby Jo Boy

Trainer/Training Facility Membership with (1) voting right (with Journal)…. $75.00

Trainer and their facility will register what they train for, Halter or Performance or Both with a Trainer page set up on club’s website listing trainers by areas.

Transfer Fee Members….up to 6 months from date of sale……$15.00

Transfer Fee Members…after 6 months from date of sale……. $25.00

Non-Member Transfer Fee…up to 6 months from date of sale……$40.00

Non-Member Transfer Fee…after 6 months from date of sale……. $50.00

Again, this is subjective and for you to think about. Give some constructive feedback, don’t get negative and let’s look at this together. We all need to come to an agreement as to what we can live with and for the association to stay viable.

Thank you for allowing me to lay this out to you for thought and consideration and for those board members who lurk to consider and add your thoughts as well. I do think as a membership we can ALL come up with something that is workable and keep our Registry viable and strong.

Karen

Last edited by a moderator:
After reviewing some of the above registries and their fee schedules, these are my recommendations for new fees that I can live with and still be supportive of our Registry…again a win, win situation for all:
ASPC/AMHR Registry Schedule of Fee's:

Membership Fee's-Adult with 1 voting right…..$35.00 (No Journal)

Membership Fee's-Adult with 1 voting right…$50.00 (with Journal)

Second, Third, Fourth etc. Member with 1 voting right…. $20.00

Youth Membership, 0-18 yrs of Age…..$15.00 (I do think youth needs to pay a membership to participate and apply for any and all youth awards)

Amateur Membership……..$15.00

Family and/or Farm Membership……$75.00- Entire Family in/out of household, must list each person under Farm name and each would receive (1) voting right each person must be listed, includes (1) Journal.

Example: Your Choice Farm, John Boy, Susie Q Boy, Betty Jo Boy, Bobby Jo Boy

Trainer/Training Facility Membership with (1) voting right (with Journal)…. $75.00

Trainer and their facility will register what they train for, Halter or Performance or Both with a Trainer page set up on club's website listing trainers by areas.

Transfer Fee Members….up to 6 months from date of sale……$15.00

Transfer Fee Members…after 6 months from date of sale……. $25.00

Non-Member Transfer Fee…up to 6 months from date of sale……$40.00

Non-Member Transfer Fee…after 6 months from date of sale……. $50.00

Again, this is subjective and for you to think about. Give some constructive feedback, don't get negative and let's look at this together. We all need to come to an agreement as to what we can live with and for the association to stay viable.

Thank you for allowing me to lay this out to you for thought and consideration and for those board members who lurk to consider and add your thoughts as well. I do think as a membership we can ALL come up with something that is workable and keep our Registry viable and strong.

Karen
I think this is a great idea and with the non-member transfer fee being close to the member fee would encourage more people to join.

Hi Karen. I think your suggestions are excellent, and should stand as written.

If the Registry has indeed lost as many members as you think (1,000 over the last couple of years?!), then we/they certainly do need to look at a restructuring of the fee schedule. Let's just suppose that we all agree with your suggestions here.... how would you go about implementing them? Who actually decides on the fees?

Hi Karen

My only problem is that if you sell memberships with no Journal how do those members get notified of changes?? I just worry it would lead to lawsuits if a rule changes and a member doesnt know about goes through and wham a lawsuit. I think its even in the bylaws isnt it that all notifications to members will be done through the Journal? If the registry had to do a separate newsletter to inform members that do not get the Journal then its self defeating.

Just a thought!

Kay

Hi Judy,

I would hope that those board members who visit here would take it, get with those board members who hasn't seen it, review it and then present it to those members at Convention for their consideration. If it was approved quickly, then I see no reason why it couldn't be put into place for the 2010 year.

Karen

After just one read-through, I agree with Judy/Sunny. It makes sense overall......I do want to ask about the reasoning behind offering membership without the Journal?

I can see the Board being interested in this.

The reasons I see you would not want a Journal are

1. Register last foals before I quit raising minis

2. Bought a couple of minis for pets and like having them in my name

Thats all I can think of right now

Thanks for posting the info

I purchased my first mini in 2006 so am very new to all of this, prior full size horses throughout my life only one was registered. In that time frame have purchased 7 registered miniatures, 4 of these had some sort of ‘issue’ with paperwork

For the most part this was my first year for homebred babies and subsequentially deciding that I needed to sell some.

I have sold 4 horses since the beginning of the year, 2 to the same family, and none of the 3 families care to join to transfer a horse or 2... I find it disheartening, I would like to think that maybe the 1st transfer fee could be a flat rate member or not so that some of the papered horses who end up being in a pet home now but over the life of the mini the next person may very well want the paperwork to be current and up to date.

The combination of my own experiences of having some sort of issue with paperwork and now seeing new to mini families not want to spend the membership fee to transfer one horse leads me to believe that the problem of lost pedigree/history etc is only going to get worse if a simple transfer requires a membership…

I am not sure what the answers are but look forward to watching the thread to see peoples thoughts that have been involved with the miniature horse for far longer than I have.

On the other thread I also read about you can do the transfer for them (the new owners), how do you go about that... I did not know of this option so would like to be able to try and utilize it in the future if possible.

I think this is an extremely interesting topic.

In quarter horse and paint the journals are optional.

If members choose to not purchase the membership with the journal changes to anything are their responsibility to find out.

Notices can easily be put on the web page for those that do not receive the journal.

I personally have 6 horses in my backyard at the moment all different registries that ALL require a membership to transfer the horse. All 6 registries are in US Dollars and start at $50 dollars membership and go up from there. AMHR for me is $76 US. PLUS the fees plus the pictures plus plus plus.

Things dont have to be as hard as they are to join or transfer or other.

Hi Miniv,

There has been discussion in the past from some members who DO NOT want a Journal but wanted a membership.

Kay, as far as being notified....we all know the club's website is also there and pretty much is updated as soon as it can...it may need to have someone on the Website committe assigned to do the updates more frequently than usual.

How many folks out of our membership would use the $35 membership fee? we won't know until that time comes. If lets say more than 50 % then I would suggest a bi/monthly letter mailed the same time as the "Journal" just to those members who selected that type of membership so they would be in the loop so to speak.

Karen

The reasons I see you would not want a Journal are1. Register last foals before I quit raising minis

2. Bought a couple of minis for pets and like having them in my name

Thats all I can think of right now

Both of those are valid examples........ And to cover what Kay said, when a person chooses not to take the journal they should probably check a box (or something) on the application, indicating that they realize they won't receive the Journal, and that they are aware it's a primary source for receiving important rule changes and registration information....... (How about that?)
default_biggrin.png

Hi Karen,

Just a quick question. Why are you wanting to raise the amateur member ship fee 200% but want to reduce the general membership fee?

I would definately select the "do not take Journal" option myself. There are other ways for the Registry to get information to members without having to mail that big heavy picture-book. I know...I know...there is lots of info too for those who show sanctioned events, but to me here, it is strictly a "coffee table book", full of pretty pictures.

The AMHA managed to get information to us for years before making the MHW part and parcel of their membership, which put their fees up significantly. (And IMHO, was very likely largely responsible for putting the Miniature Horse Voice out of publication.)
default_sad.png

When our AMHA fees rose, and included the MHW, I wrote a letter to the board, asking for the option of paying a different fee and not recive the magazine, which was read at the next meeting but the letter I received from them was a "sorry you feel that way, but you will still have to pay the full amount, and receive the MHW". I wish they too would look into this as a viable option now; I am sure it would help a lot of people, especially those of us out of the US, as those fees are pretty high.

I agree with everything, except I think the ammy fee should be $10, and the youth fee $10

To be honest, when I came over from big horses, I was pretty surprised to find that the membership fee for a smaller registry cost so much more than my AQHA membership, and AQHA members get all sorts of discounts and benefits, and in general, do more advertising etc.

Hi Sheryl,

The current amateur fee I feel is way too low at $5.00. I'm just bringing it up to be close to the other registries, plus, if it every came down that the amateur program must be sustained on the amateur fee's, the $5 wouldn't even cover the cost of what my budget is for the year. I like giving back to all of the Amateurs, right now we have 1672 amateurs @ $5 each that is $8360 in revenue. I spend more than that with all of the awards that are given from the local shows, Congress, AMHR Nationals, End of Year Awards, Supreme Amateur, the Animal Companion and Animal Excellence program.

Karen

Hi mydaddysjag,

In answer to your youth fee....the youth fee use to be $10 until the board disolved it a couple of years ago. I was also on the youth committee until I was appointed as chair of the amateur's. Again, if the youth budget is cut and they had to be sustained on their youth fee's (which are only paid one time until they turn 18) tell me how far that money would run? Not very far, and with the number of awards and prizes they give away, the $10 wouldn't even touch it.

Karen

I want to say thank you for all of this information that you had presented and I agree 100% on everything. I think it would lead a step in the right direction.

I don't see a problem raising the amateur fees, As amateurs you could win some money back and get cool prizes, you need to back the amateur program up.

I want to know where does it say you have to send out newsletters to all members with new information? Why does it have to be the Journal? They have done it in the past if new notices need to be given to members then send in a piece of paper in the mail. Also AMHR needs to get better with todays technology. There website IMO does not look that much shall we say official.

Anyways love the ideas, thank you.
default_saludando.gif

I'm going to put it bluntly - if you make The Journal optional you will likely kill the publication. Advertising is already down even though it is reasonable to advertise and advertising rates have not been raised in several years. If you reduce circulation how much futher will advertising drop? Less advertising means less editorial, articles, and show results. To qualify to mail at the current rate The Journal needs to have a 6/4 ratio - 6 pages of advertising for each 4 pages of other content. Less advertising means fewer columns, fewer show results, less industry news, less sale reports, less obituaries, etc. Changing it from an advertising supported newsletter to a subscription magazine could have postal, printing, and tax ramifications also.

Another point, the ASPC/AMHR website is not handled in house. Some pages can be updated in house but the web design company has to update most of the content. Research would have to be done into expense of updating content more regularly, possibly adding pages and archiving information (more web space and bandwidth), plus a print newsletter would still need to be mailed (we do have many members without email including our President!) and we would need to know the cost for that. I personally doubt that making The Journal separate from membership would have any significant cost saving.

Why is advertising so low? Thats the question people must ask when it comes to the Journal. Honestly the people that are really into the registry will still get the Journal. People who just do it for fun and just trying to get into it, etc...they are going to try to avoid paying that huge membership fee and that just leads to more unregistered horses and no new members. I rather have more members.

Too be honest tho the Journal is starting to look boring and its pretty sad but with no advertisement theres no help.

Wait, the youth did not have to pay a youth fee yearly? I know when I was an AQHA member the youth fee was paid yearly. Is there something that could be done so that youth and amateurs had to pay into the payback programs if they wanted to participate? I know at local saddle clubs in my area you can show as a youth all you want, but if you want included in year end awards, you must fund raise or pay towards the year end awards. I don't know how many amateurs there are in AMHR, but what percentage are getting year end awards?

Honestly, if you think about it, why should "paulas" kid have to pay for "suzys" daughters year end award, when "paulas" daughter does not even compete for that award.

Same goes to say that I buy an ammy card every year, some years do not show, some only show 1 or 2 shows, and I dont compete for any awards, but Im still paying towards awards I dont compete for in the first place.

I know it would be a head ache to set up that way, but in the long run it would be the fair way...

Latest posts

Back