Are there any other people here

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I honestly do feel that a person who "actually" considers their animal a beloved pet or family member, will not sell it unless unforeseen circumstances arise. Thats "my" opinion, and I have seen several others post the same idea, so apparently I am not the only person who feels like this. This does not only refelct shower's and breeders, in fact I even stated that not everyone of them do it.

I find it funny, how try as I might, to start a topic that has absolutley nothing to do with showing, it still ends up turning into one, and to top it off, it has become a heated debate. That was the whole point of trying to get in touch with some other members on here that have the same goals as I do. That way, I could ask them a few questions without having all the ugliness of the normal posts get in the way. I truly am sorry if some get the opinion that someone here has said that show'ers/breeders love their horses any less than non-show'ers/breeders. I can't remember anyone even mentioning anything that could be misconstrued as that, until the show people came on and started saying it. Am I wrong or did I miss something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe that's what I feel differs from those of us who want just "pets" and those who are willing to sale their "pets" to get a better one. I am not hinting towards anyone or passing judgement on anyone, because I understand it is a competition or for breeders, a business. I just really do feel there is a big difference between those of us who have "pet's" and those who have "today's best" as pets.

Edited to say.. I know that not everyone who shows or breeds, sells their beloved pets for a better model. But it does happen quite often.
oK now I will leave for a bit after this as I am hot and grumpy and a bit hormonal as well but this is just ONE EXAMPLE of where YOU have hinted at that exact fact and again i state ONE EXAMPLE there have been more. I am not trying to pick on you.. your opinion is important and your voice should be heard as much as anyone elses..However.. some of the debate is coming from you JMHO and hey there is never anything wrong with a good debate it is really a great way to learn
default_smile.png

but please realize that you have implied that(pet horses are more loved the show horses) even if saying I realize not ALL people who show do this the implication was surely out there and made as seen in the above quote.

NOW ONCE MORE I am not saying you are wrong for your beliefs or opinions you of course are entitled to them but I can certainly see how others can read into if you have a pet you love it more.

Now in the grand scheme of things do I really care if someone thinks my horses arent my pets NOPE not a bit. I know that I spend HOURS with them daily, thousands on them yearly and they lack nothing and have way more then the basic of care. Do I show alot NOPE just a few times a year. Do I have horses that will never go anywhere you bet do I sell some you bet and you can also bet those people are very thankful I have. There is no one way or one right answer - in fact the answer is simple if you enjoy showing go for it and have a great time. If you dont stay home and have a great time either way- love your horses and be proud of them
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited:
To some extent, KanoasDestiny, you are right. Show/breeders can't really have "pets" because a horse takes so much time and money for upkeep that a "pet" doing nothing would just take up space for a more "productive" animal.

However, to just stereotype this fact will infuriate a lot of people. Lots and LOTS of breeders/show people have their "sentimental" horses. Either a beloved old show horse that holds a lot of titles and memories, or a favorite old stallion or broodmare that is too old to reproduce but over the years a bond has been formed.

The lady where I board raises Andalusians... she would NEVER own a gelding and has limited room. But just this past winter she finally euthanized an Arabian gelding at age 30 that had been her and her children's show gelding for almost two decades. That was truly a family member and pet... he had many allergies and Cushings and they did EVERYTHING for that horse. He always had blankets and deep bedded box stalls to the very end. People who breed and show do NOT just do it for pure personal gain... they do it because they have a true love for the animal they work with. One can not help but get attached.

It is true that you don't get attached to each and every animal on your show string or in your breeding herd. You have to understand that not every animal is perfect, and you try it out and see how it does. But many times a horse (or whatever animal we are talking about) comes along that just wins your heart and no amount of money can pry it away from you.

There is an old shetland pony breeder that lives near me... he doesn't take very good care of his ponies (and he has a LOT) but ONE of his breeding stallions (he's got several) is near and dear to him and has a HUGE stall up by his house and is loved and pampered. It's sort of an odd thing. He says everything on his place has a price except the one stallion.

Just because a horse is a "family member" does not mean it's not treated or loved any worse than a show/ breeding horse. I guarantee you most breeders/show people are not going to let their animal who they invest a LOT of time and money into be abused or have it's health seriously neglected. Many times the abuse cases are the ones that stick out in your head and draw your attention and you never think about the vast majority that is the norm. A "forever home" is not neccessarily any better than a couple of loving homes in a horse's lifetime. I can think of a lot of bored, sad horses that just sit in the same stall for decades and never have any fun. I know my horses like going to shows, it is stressful for BOTH of us but we still like to do it and have fun! I won't show a horse that hates showing because then it isn't fun for either of us and that's not worth it.

Andrea

Thank you Andrea for posting. I always enjoy reading your posts because you have a lot of good insight on things. And I agree with everything you said.
default_yes.gif
:

Lisa, the post that you copied and used that I said, was one of the last posts I put on here. There were already people on here stating that this or that had been hinted towards. I tried to ignore it, until it just kept coming up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back