Are there any other people here

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why do these threads sometimes hint that horses that arent shown are loved more then horses that are shown?? makes me sad. anyone who knows me knows i love every horse on this farm be it a rescue horse, broodmare, show horse etc. I NEVER put showing ahead of a horses health EVER. Moonlight bay went to her first show and stressed way too much. she will never be shown again. I could tell that she was miserable. I have other horses though that love it. we showed patches for a couple years and she loved it then the last year i could tell she just didnt want to do it anymore. so she will never be shown again. I do try to listen to what my horses tell me
default_smile.png
My horses that show do get to be just horses. I dont stall them 24/7 etc.

But it does take a huge commitment both financially and phsyically to show a horse. I am out at the barn off and on all day long feeding, training, conditioning, grooming and loving on my horses. I feel as a breeder its important for me to stay in touch with what is deemed breedable by the judges so that i can be confident im on the right track with what i am breeding.

The most fun part for me is training the horse as I am fascinated by how they learn etc. this is my first year to train my own horses to drive and i am in heaven.

I would never ever put a farm down for NOT showing a horse so I really dont like it when people put me down for showing one. Im just a very small fish and havent even shown at nationals yet (hopefully this year) but i do try my hardest and my horses have done well for some goofy woman like me leading them in the ring
default_smile.png

If mine become pasture ornaments in years to come, that's okay with me. Just give yourself permission to do with them whatever brings you joy.
default_yes.gif
:
Ooooo, very well said Karla! :aktion033: My sentiments exactly!
default_wub.png
:

QUOTE(barnbum @ May 30 2006, 08:12 PM)
If mine become pasture ornaments in years to come, that's okay with me. Just give yourself permission to do with them whatever brings you joy.

Ooooo, very well said Karla! My sentiments exactly!
[SIZE=10pt]Double ditto![/SIZE]

Lori

This is a great thread!

I am one of those that does not show. I can repeat lots of things others have said on this thread :)

I used to show a little in my early years but my heart was not ever in it either for various reasons.

My heart has always been in just loving my little mares and studs and the foals I live for each summer! I love to clip them also and see what is underneath! And I love taking pics of my horses. I take thousands!

We do go to the nursing home when they call each year and we have loads of visitors who have never seen a mini! Plus we have done our local Cowboys Day parade on Labor Day for years with my driving horses Rambo and Spicy. Also we have the adult daycare and schools and other groups come for field trips to visit. :)

But mostly my little horses get to just enjoy being horses and living a happy horsey life. :)

I wanted to raise horses and kids the whole time I was growing up, and have been blessed to get to do both :)

Susan O.

Kay...I never meant to turn this into an "us vs them" thing, so please don't take it that way. I have no doubt in my mind that people who show love their horses any less then the people who don't show, and I hope it didn't come out that way. I believe that you guys love your horses just as much as people who don't show.

I only wanted to know if there were others on here that didn't show, just like I don't plan to. I have to be honest, most days when I come here, there is non-stop talk about showing and competition and stuff like that. I enjoy reading though some of it, but truth be told, I just feel like it isn't a world I fit into. I just wondered if there was anyone here that I might have something in common with away from the showing world. I am sure that there are other non- show'ers that feel the same way. I just wanted to start a conversation where we could talk and share what our non-show horses do, while all the others out there condition for their next show. It wasn't meant to be a put down or a debated post. I just wnated ideas of what I might be able to do, other than show.

Someone mentioned that they take their minis to schools. I didn't even think of this one. Thank you so much for bringing it up. I just might look into that in the future.

Horsehug...I so hear you on the thousands of pictures. I already have several rolls of film and the video camera ready for when Zoey arrives.
default_yes.gif
:

Good memory Lisa. It's an apartment, but it isn't a complex. It's actually a duplex, I live on one side with my husband (in APT B) and my mom and 17 year old brother live on the other side (APT A). We have two other tiny single apartments behind us (about 100 feet or alittle more). It's complicated to explain but I have my own front and back yard. I will be boarding her over at my neighbor's home which sits on two acres. She is an elderly lady and doens't have too much company, so I am hoping that Zoey will not hurt anyone nor will she be bothered by lots of other people, unless I have her over in my front yard and she can be monitored. But that is an excellent suggestion.
DOnt misunderstand I wasnt implying anything at all .. just that many people have home insurance that would cover it but sounds like you probobly have that in your duplex
default_smile.png
Coming from So Cal myself I know how sue happy some can be gotta protect yourself
default_yes.gif
:

Lisa...Californian's... gotta love them!!! They are from a wealthy state (or so it seems since everything is outrageously priced...yet we are in major debt?), yet everyone is so eager to sue and get more.
default_wacko.png
: I do love the suggestion of insurance, and I'm not sure if with being in "apartments", if we are covered. It seems like we should be if something were to happen to the home or property, but as far as animals are concerned, I'm not too sure. I should probably check into that! If I owned a home (which we should be buying next summer), would I need liability insurance for pets?

I do not show either. Well, some day I will make it to Happs but that is it.

Have no interest in showing. Too much travel and I am too gimpy.

I just enjoy my minis and take Maggie on trail rides with the cart. Theia I am training to harness... nice having good weather again. Maybe I could get some where with Theia's training. Thought the News said we are going to get more rain.
default_wacko.png
:

Some times I just sit and watch them eat and play and that is just as much fun too me.
default_yes.gif
:

There are many ways to enjoy our wonderful wee horses.

OK I wanted to just add a little something for me.

In my own feeble mind I do like to keep my horses looking like they are being shown. I've had people come here and see my little herd and comment about it and wonder why I bother. I dunno. Force of habit.

I do very much love to keep my horses looking like they are going to a show, even though we aren't. I try very hard to keep them fit and trained up. I do keep them clipped up, with manes and tails flowing and I love to bath and groom. Sure they roll in the dirt every day and are horses in every sense of the word, but I do have to clean up that mess on them. Even in the winter months, their faces and bridle paths, fetlocks etc are clipped giving them a neat appearence even though they have grown winter coats. I guess the "presentation" part of me is still in my blood because I do pride myself on their appearence. I should try it on myself just once. :lol:

I have so much respect for the showers, I really do. It's such hard work and well I did try just a little bit. I did take Nick and Chrissy out at one point a few years back and I think the words "watermelon bellies" was heard echoing in the background. I'm not sure if that meant me or them. All that bending nearly cost my knees to lock up and me to split my pants. I was doing contortions with my arm with the bait, not to mention with my creaking body bending every which way to get those legs set up and ears foreward nearly caused the law of gravity make me flop forwards, in which a crane would have become involved. I suppose I could be a good side show for entertainment purposes.

I just brought my two yearling Egyptian King fillies home on Saturday. I'm a first time mini owner and already I'm so in love with my girls. A bit off topic but...

I used to show hunter/jumper on the A circuit and then had a long hiatus. When I got back into the "horsey set" I broke and exercised hanoverian sport horses at a breeding farm in Ontario. I guess I got tired of the expense, and danger of it all LOL! When I wanted to get back into horses, mini's were an obvious choice. I just want to enjoy my girls. I may breed in the future.

I dont show either. I did show gaited saddlebreds for many years and also arabians, but it seemed like everything about showing was getting to be so political. My minis are just my best backyard pals..we have fun daily. Ho hassles to get them ready for a show, no pressure on me. I love it that way..I do enjoy breeding a few foals every year, and if the buyers want to show that is SUPER. I will always be there to cheer them on. Marty..love your part on presentation, and trying it on yourself .....ditto here on that. Dont care what I look like (or at times smell like :bgrin ) but --my horses are always clean
default_yes.gif
: , my stalls are always clean,
default_yes.gif
: and my pastures are always clean.
default_yes.gif
: Now ask me about my house. :bgrin
default_wink.png
: :no: Corinne

We have only had our mini's for almost a year. I must say I am not sure what my Maddy who is 13 will get into later with her mini's. I have done a lot of reflecting the last couple months or so on why I have mini's or any other animals for that matter. Why some folks have them and how other folks can live a day without them. I have a few selfish reasons why I love our mini's and our other farm animals. Over a year ago I got rid of the cable tv and limited vids to when there is nothing else to do you can play vids. I then moved us to the country, started building stalls, started adopting/buying critters to put in them at night :bgrin and I haven't heard a peep about I am board or what can we do. Farm animals are much more demanding of your presence as they cannot lay around the living room with you for "quality time". This lifestyle has taught my kids respect for another life that relys on you for their every need. That is a tall order if you take is serious. They are already learning about how satifsfying it can be to work hard to please another and what is so cool about it being the animals that they are pleasing is that these little horses are so easy to please so the goal is set and achieved with a simple flake of hay or a bucket of fresh cool water even though there was water already in there. Some fly spray (a whole 10 min of effort), clean feet, and of course the gratitude of grooming :bgrin My daughter has just blossomed out of laziness and selfishness since little Barbie the mini has come into our life. When she is upset, she will go out and cry to ole Barbie and she makes it all better??? I am amazed at the change in her since Barbie has come. Maddy has been able to experience goal setting and achieving and has begun setting larger more difficult goals. My family has spent more time as a "family" mucking out stalls, cleaning out buckets, feeding, grooming, and just plain ole laughing. God placed these creatures here not just for us to care for but for our enjoyment, so however they bring you enjoyment that is great. These little guys are worth their weight in gold in my book.

These little guys have slowed us down to enjoy them and eachother, they are a gift
default_wub.png
: ( Now I wish God would create us some free vet care or at least tone the prices down a bit :lol: )

So that is what we do with our mini's here on our farm, we take care of them, learn from them, love them, and someday maybe show them. But for now we are the keepers of some of God's most wonderful creations :aktion033: Sorry so long and gushy, but we just love them here!

I do not show my minis. I have shown, I miss it some, but not a lot. I do parades, but only one a year. What my minis do for work is to visit nursing homes, schools and daycares. I currently visit four facilities a week, but have traveled to over ten homes total.

I drive my mare sometimes and just love on them mostly. I don't show and have no desire to.

I have thought about taking them in parades but I like to ride too much so that will wait until I can't ride anymore.

We're random show-ers. I personally like to watch a show, but don't have a whole lot of interest in showing myself. My kids like to, so we usually go to a few shows a year. This year we're skipping it. Too many other commitments on our time/money.

People that show either really love it or they're doing it for their breeding programs - I think it's great either way! It is a huge commitment of time, energy and money to show. We're just not there yet.

We do breed, so try to keep up with current trends in the show ring, but a large group of our horses are here for our enjoyment only. We have a pet/retirement group - about 19 individuals.

We've never done a parade, have done a a few local events. Definitely make sure you're insured, especially if you're going to schools. We had to cancel a school visit as they're policy was so weird and they're own policy ran short. I didn't want the full liability for that visit (California!!!) You can get insurance for your horse and I would recommend it - attractive nuisance - that's what the insurance company calls them.

If my horses are all mentally and physically healthy - that is good enough for me. The enjoyment, feeling of peace and contentment is irreplaceable.

I have never shown, I just got my first mini last August and now have 2 more. I went to the show in Cumberland that was judged by Lee C. (my first time watching a mini show) and after seeing it I thought it might be fun to do some showing but now (I haven't read all the posts) after reading some of the replies it sounds a little discouraging.

By the way, I had fun just watching the show and learned a lot.

Nope I don't show either. I enjoy watching from the stands! :bgrin For now! LOL! My minis are pasture orniments. I'm content with the bathing and grooming and stuff like that. I do have 2 minis that I think would enjoy the show ring and do well at little shows but I have no clue how to get started so I guess I'll just watch for the time being.

I just wanted to add that it's so nice to hear about all the minis with loving homes weather you show or not! I work at a horse rescue and thats the goal, finding them a nice loving home. There are so many out there in need of good, careing homes. Bless all of us who have taken theses little guys in to our lives and given them the loving life they deserve. Show home or just pasture pets know that it means alot either way! :aktion033:

Leya

I do not show either...My neighbors and passer-bys just love them! They always ask me how did I teach them to run up and down the fence line whinneying at the cars as they go by, I did'nt....(they think they are dogs, they don't know they are horses)!! And the mailman always gets a kick out of them when they run to greet him as leaves the mail in the box...I did want to show when I first go into the minis (5 years ago), but the cost involved and the commitment yada, yada, yada....I decieded to just go to the shows that I can and watch others, although I always go to the Nationals to see the horses and help friends (who live 1500 miles away!), with their horses. My husband and I was very competitve for years with our full size horses, barrel racing, pole bending and so forth. Even Vice Pres. in the South Florida Barrel Racers Assoc....So we just love our little guys to death, what more could a horse ask for???
default_wink.png
:
default_wub.png
:

I don't show either, and really have no interest in it.. We do have a couple mares and our new stud, so we do breed them for babies.. I am planning on breaking the stud to cart as well as my sister's boy and use them in parades.. This Fourth of July a local town is having a town get-together and have said something to us about possibly bringing out a mini or two.. Other than that, they're here because like many have said before, I just love them, I love going out to the barn to feed and having them nicker, I love the kisses they give me, I love being there to watch a newborn come into the world and take his first steps, I love sitting in the pasture and watching them just be horses... Showing, to me and this is not meant to hurt anyone's feelings, is nothing but a big competition of "Who's Who", and anymore it seems like alot of those who show have gotten away from the original efforts of showing and seem to think they have to get those titles and their name out there.. Again just my opinion, and not meant to hurt anyone who shows..

But on a side note, I am trying to put together a nice little herd that will produce quality foals that if someone wanted too, could possibly take into a showring somewhere, or just have a mini to love upon.. But for me my minis are going to enjoy their days grazing in the pasture and raising babies, which my mares love to do.. I have two older mares with foals on their side now and I seriously think they would go nuts if they didn't have a baby to raise..

Latest posts

Back