are hubby's interested ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
l don't have a hubby and hope not to anytime soon but the minis here are a joint venture. My mom does 90% of the everyday work l do 90% of all the training hoofs and shots etc the other 10% we share. My dad is there 100% with any money we need or require other then that he's just in the background lets us do and buy what we want supporting in every way except having anyone gelded then he puts his foot down and we've learned to live with that. No one is perfect and that's his only fault with the horses that's a sore spot with us. Other then that it all works for each of us.

Keith had always told me he was afraid of horses and wasn't interested in them, but the moment he met Mingus, it was love at first sight...for both of them. He's equally close to Thelonius and Flash, who also adore him. Keith takes his breakfast out to sit by the corral, where they all bond over breakfast cereal. I think if it came down to a choice, he'd pick our horses over me, LOL!

We consider our horses, dogs and cats to be our kids, and we both consider Daryl's horses, donkey and dogs to be our nieces and nephews.

I think of how much our three guys have changed my life, but I think it's even more so with Keith, as he's now a fanatic over something he never even thought he'd like!

My hubby probably couldn't care less about my mini's...but once in a while I get a flutter and hope he'll see what they mean to me and maybe come around to help with shows! He helps with some things like unloading hay, feeding them in the morning if I am late for work (but he doesn't quite have the amounts of grain for each horse down yet!), and once he walked one of them but he talks to them all as if they were little dogs! He is more interested in his man stuff and dirt bikes...it was like pulling teeth to get him to go to a show with me, but funny enough once he was there he said he rather enjoyed it!

Anyone elses hubbies treat your horses like little dogs? Patting on them and going "come here horsey! come here! good horsey! who's the good horsey???"

Mine does not get involved with the horses, but does "tolerate them", so I cant complain.... Mostly he gets irritated when I use my new mini van to get hay, and mess up the back area of my car. ( I told him to get me a used truck) He does however help me out with "all of my web work," and I really appreciate that, as he is a Web-Master. As far as help when I need it with the horses, I can always depend on my 9 year old son, and my 12 year old daughter.
yes.gif

littlearab said:
biggrin.gif
Mine is a closet miniature horse lover..
wink.gif
He says he does not like them. But when he calls them pet names like "fuzz Ball" and "stinker"  And tell Ace how he knows about being out numbered by all the females in his life. LOLEven took 2 day off from farming  to go to my first show.

HA and when he told me I could buy one or two has not said one word when it became 15... and is very happy when I sell one.HA

Ya he's a keeper.... after 30 years it's too late he stuck with me and my horses big and small!

440958[/snapback]

I can almost say the exact same thing of my husband with a few minor differences; we've only been married 3 years and I only have 2 with another one coming (he constantly tells me I have too many horses - I still have 5 full-size with one of those for sale)

UMMM... I AM THE HUBBY! I am greatly relieved to see that many of your husbands are equally involved. I was beginning to get worried. Now I'm beginning to get the idea that most hubbies are just not as involved in computers.
risa_suelos.gif
Of the farms I have personally visited, I would say that on 3 out of 4 the husbands are equally if not more involved than the wives.
xbud.gif

Songcatcher said:
UMMM... I AM THE HUBBY!  I am greatly relieved to see that many of your husbands are equally involved.  I was beginning to get worried.  Now I'm beginning to get the idea that most hubbies are just not as involved in computers. 
risa_suelos.gif
  Of the farms I have personally visited, I would say that on 3 out of 4 the husbands are equally if not more involved than the wives.
xbud.gif

441013[/snapback]

Haha! Harvey says he'd love to chat but he's too busy taking care of my horses. (kidding)
laugh.gif

I have to keep reminding Lee that we are nearing retiring & will be on a very limited budget to keep HIM from buying more horses.............. To be honest I would not own the mini's if I were doing this by myself......... The most enjoyable part for us is that we are spending our time together doing what we like together. I quit my job to take care of the horses during the day. We both share the chores even tho I have to remind him to do some things more than I would like sometimes. Lee does all the body clipping & showing though.

My husband is interested, he even shows them! In fact, that's how he got a bit hooked, the first show we go to, he takes out Supreme Champion with our stallion!! And that from a pretty much non-horse person!!
smile.gif
It was really funny - there were quite a lot of "Who the @#**@ are you?" looks around the place!
biggrin.gif

But I do all the donkey work - I just hand him the lead and instructions before he goes in the ring!!! But I don't mind it that way - after all, he earns the most money
biggrin.gif
And I spend it
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Brigid

My husband is so supportive, I couldn't do it without him!!! He feeds them their hay, fills the water buckets, and picks the stalls occasionally. He takes care of them when I go to horse shows and clinics. He builds a lot of stuff and fences for me. Not to mention that he does a lot, if not most, of the housework so that I can spend time with my horses!!! He does not complain about their cost.

Did I mention that I
wub.gif
that man? Married 20 years this month.

...... I am now single, but in the past I have found that a first they find the horses a novelty and after a month or so they get sick of it.... and in the end totally jealous of them. (I have been accused of spending far to much time with my horses then with my partner)

dmhstacy said:
...... I am now single, but in the past I have found that a first they find the horses a novelty and after a month or so they get sick of it.... and in the end totally jealous of them. (I have been accused of spending far to much time with my horses then with my partner)
441027[/snapback]

When I spent more time at the stable where my big horses live, I noticed a lot of women have husbands and boyfriends who resent and are jealous of their horses! I thought it was really strange, but there were several who fit into that category...

I have a closet junkie too.

Examples - went to a sale, I went to get a Coke, and came back and he had bought little mare.

Another sale, he wasn't feeling good so he stayed at the hotel during the sale. When I told him what I bought, I expected him to hit the ceiling, but his comment was "why didn't you buy that other one too?"

Went to a farm to look at 1 - he bought 6.

But he will vigorously deny the attraction to anybody who will listen.

Me thinks he doeth protest to much!!

He will also throw hay when necessary, and walks the fence and repairs it.

I think I will keep him - it's only been 28 years
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif

Mine is 100% equal partner with me on the horses and every bit as interested. Although he does much less work, he pays all the bills (so isn't home enough to do all the work). When he is home he does all the chores with me, plus any I can't do ie: building, fencing (yes I can, but he usually has to go along after me when he gets home and fix it, put it back up, laugh at it
smile.gif
)

ME! I have built my own stalls, put up my own paddocks, do al the work. Sigh, but I love the little guys so it's worth it. Been 7 yrs and he still asks when we're going to make money with the minis.
new_shocked.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
My hubby helps - not to say I don't occasionally get that "we have too many horses, you need to sell something." I do most of it, but he lets the boys out for a little while in the mornings before he goes to work (I leave the house around 5:30 am) and empties the wheelbarrow. He gives them their hay. When I was in the hospital 1 1/2 years ago for 5 days having my appendix out, he jumped right in and did everything. I was not allowed to do anything with the horses for 6 weeks, so he had his hands full. Never a complaint! I'm very lucky. The biggest thing was when I called him and told him Dawn needed surgery for her broken femur and dislocated hip. He said "how much" and I told him the estimate, fully not expecting to hear what I did. Then he said, go for it, he couldn't imagine hurting Peanut, not to mention what it would do to me - also that he just couldn't put Dawn down. What a guy - I am so lucky!!!!! And now, hopefully tomorrow, after 3 months of he__, Dawn will be able to act like a normal baby and run and play in her stall and outside.

Barbie

I would never give a second glance to a man who didn't at least support my interests, though I know many women put up with a lot worse. To me, putting up with a man who didn't understand my love for my animals or my love of music would be like a mother putting up with a man who didn't like children!

So, I married an animal-loving musician...we share a life with lots of animals and music -- but not money!

Nope, I'm on my own here. My husband helps out with "farm maintenance" etc., and feeds when I need him to, but if I am here and capable, it is up to me. He NEVER goes out to just "visit" the horses. I have to ask him almost every time a foal is born to come and see it, and it's like pulling teeth to have him help me take pics of the horses when needed, and it usually ends up with both of us PO'd at each other!
rolleyes.gif

Well, Mona pretty much said what I was going to say...
laugh.gif
...but there "was" a time when he would show the horses for me and did a GREAT job, but the long weekends waiting for classes finally got to him and he lost interest.

But he will still take time to play with the babies and will halter train them for me..but the pictures..yep...that is another matter. The minute I take the lens cap off I hear "Aren`t you DONE YET????" "How many do you NEED???"
wacko.gif

Well, 47 years ago I married an animal loving guy-- who always had 'big' horses -- working quarter horses -- we lived on a ranch in the West & he was a "working" cowboy -- I was scared of the big horses-- the kids had ponies-- I loved them to death but preferred to stay on the ground. Then he took me to see some minis-- then we went to the AMHA Eastern Regional & I was hooked.

Now, my family tells me that I have 2 passions-- grandkids & horses & preferably together.

I was over 60 when he taught me to drive & finally convinced me to drive at shows. i love it . At the shows, I mainly groom, used to show but my health doesn't let me do so much now. I do like to drive in a few classes. I love them to death, love the babies, love to plan the breeding & am really into the genetics of it all.

So, I think we are fairly even. He does ALL of the barn cleaning, fixing etc. WE both clip & he does the training & showing.

I love the man to pieces & we both love the horses.

Latest posts

Back