Anyone want to see my 'new' tandem??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About darn TIME you posted some pix! LOL. I've missed hearing from you.
yes.gif

Okay, I know Fascination is your main girl but I've got a thing for the boys...send me that Elvis! Wow, what a stride and carriage on him.
wub.gif
I love that Meadowbrook too. Do you know who the maker is? And what's the weight like?

I bet you'll be the hit of the show and I can't wait to see the looks on the faces of the big horse folks if you ever drive this rig at a normal CDE.
biggrin.gif

Hip Hip Hooray!!

Leia

Awesome! Good for you! Tandems are TOUGH to do, but you've got those horses going great. Very impressive! Good luck at your show!!
aktion033.gif

Your horses look wonderful and Elvis is doing great after his long lay off. I think they look beautiful together. Best of luck at your show.

Okay, I know Fascination is your main girl but I've got a thing for the boys...send me that Elvis! Wow, what a stride and carriage on him.  I love that Meadowbrook too. Do you know who the maker is? And what's the weight like?
Yeah, Elvis is going to make a great CDE horse--he should be able to do Prelim easy...maybe even Intermediate.

The Meadowbrook, I haven't a clue who the maker is; its at least 5-6 years old. The weight's pretty good, maybe 100 pounds, or a bit more. Elvis is substantial enough that he isn't 'overpowered' by it and has NO trouble pulling it(which is good, since he'll have to pull that plus 320lbs for dressage and cones).

I shaved Elvis today--he is gorgeous! He clipped out more silvery and darker, which is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job!!
aktion033.gif
I love to watch a good tandem hitch! I used to love watching Bill and Lee McKew drive theirs... (and the unicorn hitch...) what a treat...

Best of luck to you and I can't wait to hear how you do at your CDE! Is that the one that is going to be in Fresno?

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

Looks like fun, Gal! Hope you'll let us know how it goes at the Mighty Mini.....!
wink.gif
Have you gotten any tips from Jay Hubert, who seems to be the left coast's Tandem expert and "main practitioner"?

( I should try it-have my Pequea road cart, and now have a couple of matching harnesses that can be used for pair or single-with some trace extenders, a couple of roger rings, and get some longer reins...hmmm... did you buy some tandem reins, or have you rigged something on your own?) How do the traces of the leader fasten to the wheeler's harness(can't really tell from the photos-which, BTW, DO show the horses doing an excellent job!)Congrats-takes some 'grit' to try tandem!! Best wishes for the show, and beyond!!

Best of luck to you and I can't wait to hear how you do at your CDE! Is that the one that is going to be in Fresno?
Well, Madera to be more exact! But pretty dang close anyway.
smile.gif

Have you gotten any tips from Jay Hubert, who seems to be the left coast's Tandem expert and "main practitioner"?( I should try it-have my Pequea road cart, and now have a couple of matching harnesses that can be used for pair or single-with some trace extenders, a couple of roger rings, and get some longer reins...hmmm... did you buy some tandem reins, or have you rigged something on your own?) How do the traces of the leader fasten to the wheeler's harness(can't really tell from the photos-which, BTW, DO show the horses doing an excellent job!)Congrats-takes some 'grit' to try tandem!! Best wishes for the show, and beyond!!
Yep, I've pestered Jay
biggrin.gif
And yes, you should try it! And once you get that Bennington(hint, hint, PICTURES when you do), you can do all sorts of things!

I had tandem reins made, but before that, I was using an old pair of horse-size driving reins. Worked great! I am using two breeching hold back straps from my horse harness(about two feet from leader trace to wheeler breastcollar) to connect....brass rings were threaded onto the wheel horse's breastcollar(behind the neck strap), and the breeching straps were attached to that and the leader's traces. That setup is getting changed for the show, however.

I drove them again today...they worked like a REAL tandem, no fussiness, no spooks, just amazing. Even went through the test, and it was really, really good. It was way cool!

Latest posts

Back